-   -   Fedora 14 is leading-edge Linux (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-marketing/446821-fedora-14-leading-edge-linux.html)

Kara Schiltz 11-01-2010 07:34 PM

Fedora 14 is leading-edge Linux

ITworld
11.1.10

ITworld review: Fedora 14 is leading-edge Linux
If you want to live right on the cutting edge of what Linux can do, then
Fedora is the Linux distribution for you
By Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols

I like Fedora, Red Hat's community Linux distribution, a lot. But, let
me warn you right now, that it's not a Linux for beginners. That's not
to say that the newest version of Fedora, Fedora 14 Laughlin
<http://fedoraproject.org/get-prerelease>, is hard to use. It's not.
But, if you need a lot of handholding as you explore Linux, I think
you'll be better off with Ubuntu.

[clip]

On the other hand, there are some really neat, new features in Fedora
that do work well. I have to say though that they're going to be more
exiting for system administrators and developers than they are someone
just running Fedora at home.

Easily the most important of these is the arrival of of Simple Protocol
for Independent Computing Environment (SPICE
<http://www.spice-space.org/>). This is a desktop presentation service
protocol, like Microsoft's RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) and Citrix's
ICA (Independent Computing Architecture), that you use to run
thin-client desktops.

[clip]

Fedora also includes a new interface: MeeGo
<http://www.itworld.com/meego>. This is the interface for the MeeGo
operating system, which is meant for netbooks, Mobile Internet Devices
(MID) and embedded devices. While not as well known or as mature as
Android <http://www.itworld.com/android>, MeeGo shows great promise. By
making it available on Fedora, developers can develop applications for
MeeGo.

Another interesting feature is you need not run Fedora at own on your
own desktop or server. You can now run Fedora on the Amazon Elastic
Computing Cloud <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/EC2> (EC2) service.

Full post:
http://www.itworld.com/operating-systems/126064/itworld-review-fedora-14-leading-edge-linux?page=0%2C0

Adam Williamson 11-01-2010 07:56 PM

On Mon, 2010-11-01 at 16:34 -0400, Kara Schiltz wrote:
> ITworld
> 11.1.10
>
> ITworld review: Fedora 14 is leading-edge Linux
> If you want to live right on the cutting edge of what Linux can do, then
> Fedora is the Linux distribution for you
> By Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols
>
> I like Fedora, Red Hat's community Linux distribution, a lot. But, let
> me warn you right now, that it's not a Linux for beginners. That's not
> to say that the newest version of Fedora, Fedora 14 Laughlin
> <http://fedoraproject.org/get-prerelease>, is hard to use. It's not.
> But, if you need a lot of handholding as you explore Linux, I think
> you'll be better off with Ubuntu.
>
> [clip]
>
> On the other hand, there are some really neat, new features in Fedora
> that do work well. I have to say though that they're going to be more
> exiting for system administrators and developers than they are someone
> just running Fedora at home.
>
> Easily the most important of these is the arrival of of Simple Protocol
> for Independent Computing Environment (SPICE
> <http://www.spice-space.org/>). This is a desktop presentation service
> protocol, like Microsoft's RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) and Citrix's
> ICA (Independent Computing Architecture), that you use to run
> thin-client desktops.
>
> [clip]
>
> Fedora also includes a new interface: MeeGo
> <http://www.itworld.com/meego>. This is the interface for the MeeGo
> operating system, which is meant for netbooks, Mobile Internet Devices
> (MID) and embedded devices. While not as well known or as mature as
> Android <http://www.itworld.com/android>, MeeGo shows great promise. By
> making it available on Fedora, developers can develop applications for
> MeeGo.
>
> Another interesting feature is you need not run Fedora at own on your
> own desktop or server. You can now run Fedora on the Amazon Elastic
> Computing Cloud <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/EC2> (EC2) service.
>
> Full post:
> http://www.itworld.com/operating-systems/126064/itworld-review-fedora-14-leading-edge-linux?page=0%2C0

Just before everyone piles on, I've already written a quite long comment
on this review which makes clear that all the issues Steven identifies
were well handled by QA/devel and are fixed in the final release (he
seems to have reviewed a non-updated Beta install):

http://www.itworld.com/operating-systems/126064/itworld-review-fedora-14-leading-edge-linux#comment-62089

I also emailed him privately to offer some details on the QA process and
offer to help him with information on bugs he encounters when
researching future articles.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey