Old 10-27-2010, 04:52 AM
Jonathan Nalley

Default wiki template pages pertaining to current release version

Pardon my severe ignorance on the history and role of these pages, but
is there a formal or informal plan for someone in Marketing or some
other wiki-Gardener type person to update the
Template:FedoraVersionNumber page[1] on release day?

Looking at the history of that page, it seems to always get done I was
just curious if there was a plan to update such pages and if someone
was already tasked with it ??

---
[1]: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Template:FedoraVersionNumber

Old 10-27-2010, 05:02 AM
Robyn Bergeron

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 9:52 PM, Jonathan Nalley <jnalley@jnalley.com> wrote:
> Pardon my severe ignorance on the history and role of these pages, but
> is there a formal or informal plan for someone in Marketing or some
> other wiki-Gardener type person to update the
> Template:FedoraVersionNumber page[1] on release day?

I don't know that there is a formal, or even informal, plan for that.

Nobody is currently tasked with it (that I'm aware of, though of
course, I've been known to be incorrect) - in general, though, I think
it would be nice to have a release-day Marketing plan, and this would
certainly be part of it. (I don't know offhand how many other groups
have wiki pages that depend on this template, though, or if it would
impact them in anyway, or if they have separate plans.)

In general: I have nothing substantial to offer to this thread, but
think it's a good idea to figure out some ownership of that task. Are
you interested?

-robyn

Old 10-27-2010, 11:38 AM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 12:52:30AM -0400, Jonathan Nalley wrote:
> Pardon my severe ignorance on the history and role of these pages, but
> is there a formal or informal plan for someone in Marketing or some
> other wiki-Gardener type person to update the
> Template:FedoraVersionNumber page[1] on release day?
>
> Looking at the history of that page, it seems to always get done I was
> just curious if there was a plan to update such pages and if someone
> was already tasked with it ??
>
> ---
> [1]: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Template:FedoraVersionNumber

Great question Jonathan. Previously I always did it at the time of GA
release. Around the time when the F13 announcement was released, I
visited the appropriate wiki pages for editing:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Template:FedoraVersionNumber
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Template:FedoraVersionName

Note that each needs to be edited to include up to Fedora (next+2),
that is, Fedora 16 in the case of Fedora 14 release. I have no
problem doing it for this release.

This should probably be part of a release day SOP, either in Websites,
Infrastructure, or Marketing. I would recommend contacting those
other teams to see if either thinks they have this particular ball.
If not, it's fair game for a Marketing release day SOP if the team's
interested in making one.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:21 PM
Ian Weller

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 07:38:52AM -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> This should probably be part of a release day SOP, either in Websites,
> Infrastructure, or Marketing. I would recommend contacting those
> other teams to see if either thinks they have this particular ball.
> If not, it's fair game for a Marketing release day SOP if the team's
> interested in making one.

I was working on this sometime over the weekend and got horribly
distracted apparently. This is on my list of things to do today.

--
Ian Weller <ian@ianweller.org>

Old 10-27-2010, 01:26 PM
Ricky Zhou

On 2010-10-27 07:38:52 AM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> This should probably be part of a release day SOP, either in Websites,
> Infrastructure, or Marketing. I would recommend contacting those
> other teams to see if either thinks they have this particular ball.
> If not, it's fair game for a Marketing release day SOP if the team's
> interested in making one.
I think this task is already tracked as part of the Infrastructure
release SOP:

Thanks,
Ricky

Old 10-27-2010, 09:55 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 09:26:00AM -0400, Ricky Zhou wrote:
> On 2010-10-27 07:38:52 AM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > This should probably be part of a release day SOP, either in Websites,
> > Infrastructure, or Marketing. I would recommend contacting those
> > other teams to see if either thinks they have this particular ball.
> > If not, it's fair game for a Marketing release day SOP if the team's
> > interested in making one.
> I think this task is already tracked as part of the Infrastructure
> release SOP:
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/2443

Excellent. I recall doing it in past releases, but that may have been
because I was hanging around in #fedora-admin looking for something to
help with at 10am, while the real geniuses kept the servers humming.