Old 10-15-2010, 03:53 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

Default Mobility change

>From the advisory-board list -- the Mobility talking point needs some
changes. Can someone take this small task on?

Paul

----- Forwarded message from "Paul W. Frields" <stickster@gmail.com> -----

Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 11:49:48 -0400
From: "Paul W. Frields" <stickster@gmail.com>
To: Fedora community advisory board <advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org>
Subject: Re: Formal signoff on moblin-meego change?

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 11:19:11PM +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 8:37 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 10:26:57AM -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> >> If anything still needs to change to the spin to make this happen we are
> >> getting very late in the game. I would expect if anything further was
> >> needed from the design team it would also be pretty late.
> >> The wiki has a bit more slack time, but if it needs to change, I'd rather
> >> know sooner than later so I don't have to do a fire drill right before
> >> some deadline.
> >
> > Peter had earlier proposed stripping the MeeGo logo (since we wouldn't
> > want to trip over their trademarks) and using a standard Fedora logo.
> > I'm not sure any technical changes need to made other than that, and
> > it might in fact be done already.
> >
> > Calling it the Mobility spin would cause a content changed on the
> > spins.fp.o website, but that also seems like it's not a ton of work,
> > although Peter might want a Design person to rework the graphics for
> > that page.
>
> I would like to call it Fedora Mobility Netbook but the spin isn't
> ready so I think we can just drop it all together for this release.
> Lately it seems there's a lot of contention upstream and there's other
> code related things that are causing problems and over the last couple
> of months I've just not had the time to dedicate to it.
>
> So for F-14 the spin formally known as MeeGo can be forgotten (very
> unfortunately), I hope to get a remix at some point but that will
> remain to be seen.

Peter -- sorry to hear that. A couple points I wanted to make:

* We have a talking point currently listed for the Mobility spin. It
makes sense to me for the Marketing team to change that to simply
mention inclusion of some software from the MeeGo project in Fedora,
without reference to a spin at this time.

* Are you interested in using the upcoming FUDCon in Tempe to
evangelize for Mobility, Sugar, etc.? I think it'd be a good
opportunity since we'll have student attendees from ASU.

* Are there specific tasks laid out somewhere that the Board and
contributors like myself could point out to someone who wanted to
help, like a blocker bug list, wiki page, or something like that?
I'd love to bring some more hands in to help, and it's super-helpful
if I can point them to a list like that.

----- End forwarded message -----

Old 10-17-2010, 04:34 AM
Robyn Bergeron

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 8:53 AM, Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:
> >From the advisory-board list -- the Mobility talking point needs some
> changes. *Can someone take this small task on?

Hey hey hey, look who's volunteering Copying Peter in case he's not
on the marketing list or following it religiously....

So - I guess I have a few questions here, as well as comments.

Questions first!
* MeeGo is also listed on Feature List [1]. Does that need to be
removed? Renamed?
* On the MeeGo feature page [2] there is something saying that you can
do a yum install meego-netbook from rawhide. Is this still the case?
Could we possibly call this something along the lines of a "mobility
spin tech preview"? (I'm not sure what all the technical details are
here, which is probably safer for us all anyway - just trying to
figure out how to distinguish the naming of what we *are* going to
have, at least pieces of anyhow.)
* I guess I need a bit of handholding as far as "the software" we're
talking about. Is that the software referenced in the MeeGo page like
Clutter, GUPnP, and libsocialweb?

Comments second:
* I'm really sad to see this one go. I don't know if anyone else
noticed but the amount of highlighting this feature / spin got was
probably more abundant than anything else. MeeGo was specifically
mentioned in a number of the article titles in news that came out
around Beta time, as you can see in the press archives. [3] I really
appreciate all the work that Peter and everyone else have done on
this, and I hope we can work out the issues for next time around!

* * *
[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FeatureList
[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/MeeGo_1.0
[3] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_14_press_archive

Old 10-18-2010, 01:21 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 09:34:49PM -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 8:53 AM, Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >From the advisory-board list -- the Mobility talking point needs some
> > changes. *Can someone take this small task on?
>
> Hey hey hey, look who's volunteering Copying Peter in case he's not
> on the marketing list or following it religiously....

I fixed the talking point and the F14 release notes to match it.

> So - I guess I have a few questions here, as well as comments.
>
> Questions first!
> * MeeGo is also listed on Feature List [1]. Does that need to be
> removed? Renamed?

As far as I recall, the feature concerned getting the updated software
into Fedora and I think that has been mostly completed. I think what
Peter was telling us is that there are still some integration bugs
that need to be worked out for a usable spin to be produced, but
that's a different kettle of fish.

> * On the MeeGo feature page [2] there is something saying that you can
> do a yum install meego-netbook from rawhide. Is this still the case?
> Could we possibly call this something along the lines of a "mobility
> spin tech preview"? (I'm not sure what all the technical details are
> here, which is probably safer for us all anyway - just trying to
> figure out how to distinguish the naming of what we *are* going to
> have, at least pieces of anyhow.)

Good question, I defer to Peter for the answer to that one.

> * I guess I need a bit of handholding as far as "the software" we're
> talking about. Is that the software referenced in the MeeGo page like
> Clutter, GUPnP, and libsocialweb?

Yes, stuff like that -- software from the MeeGo project that's now
included in Fedora.

> Comments second:
> * I'm really sad to see this one go. I don't know if anyone else
> noticed but the amount of highlighting this feature / spin got was
> probably more abundant than anything else. MeeGo was specifically
> mentioned in a number of the article titles in news that came out
> around Beta time, as you can see in the press archives. [3] I really
> appreciate all the work that Peter and everyone else have done on
> this, and I hope we can work out the issues for next time around!
>
> * * *
> [1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FeatureList
> [2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/MeeGo_1.0
> [3] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_14_press_archive

Just to be clear, it's only the spin that's not going to get produced.
The vast majority of software from the MeeGo core is in Fedora 14.
It's never been proper to say "MeeGo is in Fedora 14" because there is
a tiny fraction of it we don't include because it interferes with the
rest of Fedora's software stack (like ConnMan which would replace
NetworkManager). Rather, what we do say is that we include most of
the software from the MeeGo project in Fedora 14 -- that hasn't
changed.