-   -   New Fedora Linux Project Leader Building More Than a Distro (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-marketing/435597-new-fedora-linux-project-leader-building-more-than-distro.html)

Kara Schiltz 10-04-2010 07:59 PM

New Fedora Linux Project Leader Building More Than a Distro

CIOUpdate
10.4.10

New Fedora Linux Project Leader Building More Than a Distro
By Sean Michael Kerner

The Red Hat sponsored Fedora Linux community is an open source
development effort that includes a diverse set of participants. At the
top of the organizational chart for Fedora is the position of Fedora
Project Leader, the person tasked with overseeing the general direction
and operations of the Fedora project.

In July, Jared Smith took up the position of Fedora Project Leader,
replacing the outgoing Paul Frields
<http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2010/06/red-hat-names-new-fedora-proje.html>.
Among Smith's first jobs is to guide the development and release of the
upcoming Fedora 14
<http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/7184/1/> Linux
distribution, set for general availability in November. Building the
Fedora Linux distribution is one of Smith's key responsibilities as
Fedora Project Leader, but it involves more than just pure code.

"A lot of the time we think of Fedora as just the bits and the bytes
that we burn on a CD
<http://www.cioupdate.com/features/article.php/3906551/New-Fedora-Linux-Project-Leader-Building-More-Than-a-Distro.htm#>
every six months and ship out, but Fedora is more than that, it has to
be a community," Smith said. "As such we have to concentrate on building
that community and taking care of the community as much as we take care
of the bits and bytes."

Full post:
http://www.cioupdate.com/features/article.php/3906551/New-Fedora-Linux-Project-Leader-Building-More-Than-a-Distro.htm