Old 09-11-2010, 12:37 AM
Karsten Wade

Default Fedora Students Contributing

... as a replacement name for "Fedora Summer Coding".

I'm floating "Fedora Students Coding". Advantages:

* Relatively clear what is going on.
* Directly meaningful.
* Same abbreviation as before.
* No distracting and clever acronym twists.

"Fedora Students Coding is similar to a summer of code program, but
it goes beyond code to include content and media, run twice a year
for each hemisphere."

We're moving on the next round of this program and need a name for
this round. If we want to rename it again, fine, we can do it for
May 2011.

In absence of any better suggestions, can I get some +1s?

Thanks - Karsten
--
name: Karsten 'quaid' Wade, Sr. Community Gardener
team: Red Hat Community Architecture

Old 09-11-2010, 12:03 PM
Mel Chua

> "Fedora Students Coding is similar to a summer of code program, but
> it goes beyond code to include content and media, run twice a year
> for each hemisphere."

Looking at the subject line, did you mean "Fedora Students
Contributing?" If so, +1 to that; if not, I'd prefer that instead of
"coding."

--Mel

Old 09-11-2010, 12:44 PM
threethirty

On Sat, 2010-09-11 at 08:03 -0400, Mel Chua wrote:
> > "Fedora Students Coding is similar to a summer of code program, but
> > it goes beyond code to include content and media, run twice a year
> > for each hemisphere."
>
> Looking at the subject line, did you mean "Fedora Students
> Contributing?" If so, +1 to that; if not, I'd prefer that instead of
> "coding."
>
> --Mel

+1 once again Mel and I share a brain... its scary in here

Old 09-11-2010, 02:36 PM
Larry Cafiero

It depends. Karsten, are the students only coding, or are they contributing in other ways (i.e., artwork, documentation, etc.)? If it's the latter, the "contributing" would work. If it's the former, then "coding" would be fine.

+1 to whatever answer Karsten gives.

Larry Cafiero

Old 09-13-2010, 09:36 PM
Karsten Wade

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 08:03:28AM -0400, Mel Chua wrote:
> > "Fedora Students Coding is similar to a summer of code program, but
> > it goes beyond code to include content and media, run twice a year
> > for each hemisphere."
>
> Looking at the subject line, did you mean "Fedora Students
> Contributing?" If so, +1 to that; if not, I'd prefer that instead of
> "coding."

Yes, I _meant_:

"Fedora Students Contributing is similar to a summer of code
program, but it goes beyond code to include content and media, run
twice a year for each hemisphere."

I expect this won't be the first time that mistake is made. But at
least saying the new name won't end up as "Students of Contribution"
or some other GSoC-bastardization. ;-P

- Karsten

Old 09-13-2010, 09:39 PM
Karsten Wade

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 07:36:36AM -0700, Larry Cafiero wrote:
> It depends. Karsten, are the students only coding, or are they contributing
> in other ways (i.e., artwork, documentation, etc.)? If it's the latter, the
> "contributing" would work. If it's the former, then "coding" would be fine.
>
> +1 to whatever answer Karsten gives.

Yeah, I wrote that email fast and did "Coding" TWICE when I meant
"Contributing".

Yes, the goal of the name is to signify that:

1. It's about students;
2. It's about all kinds of contributions (art, code, content,
translation, etc.);
3. It's about teaching participation methods within the context of
Fedora.

I'll make sure this is clear on the wiki page, and edited for typsoes,
but I need the name for the wiki page naming. You dig?

- Karsten

Old 09-13-2010, 09:41 PM
Karsten Wade

Fixing this in a reply for the record.

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 05:37:37PM -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:
> ... as a replacement name for "Fedora Summer Coding".
>
> I'm floating "Fedora Students Coding". Advantages:

This SHOULD read:

+ I'm floating "Fedora Students Contributing". Advantages:

> * Relatively clear what is going on.
> * Directly meaningful.
> * Same abbreviation as before.
> * No distracting and clever acronym twists.
>
> "Fedora Students Coding is similar to a summer of code program, but

This SHOULD read:

+ "Fedora Students Contributing is similar to a summer of code program, but