-   -   A Guide to Today's Top 10 Linux Distributions (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-marketing/422035-guide-todays-top-10-linux-distributions.html)

Kara Schiltz 09-02-2010 09:57 PM

A Guide to Today's Top 10 Linux Distributions

PC World
9.2.10

A Guide to Today's Top 10 Linux Distributions
By Katherine Noyes

[clip]

*2. Fedora*

Fedora is the free version of Red Hat, whose RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise
Linux
<http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/192929/red_hat_focuses_new_rhel_55_on_multicore.html>)
has been a commercial product since 2003. Because of that close
connection, Fedora is particularly strong on enterprise features, and it
often offers them before RHEL does.

Fedora also offers a six-month release schedule, and its security
features
<http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/202452/why_linux_is_more_secure_than_windows.html>
are excellent. While some have viewed it as a cutting-edge distro for
the Linux "hobbyist," I think improvements over the years and widespread
popularity have combined to make it a good choice for newer Linux users
as well.

Full article:
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/204767/a_guide_to_todays_top_10_linux_distributions.html? tk=hp_new

Ankur Sinha 09-03-2010 02:40 AM

On Thu, 2010-09-02 at 17:57 -0400, Kara Schiltz wrote:
> PC World
> 9.2.10
>
> A Guide to Today's Top 10 Linux Distributions
> By Katherine Noyes
>
> [clip]
>

> *2. Fedora*
>
> Fedora is the free version of Red Hat, whose RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise
> Linux
> <http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/192929/red_hat_focuses_new_rhel_55_on_multicore.html>)
> has been a commercial product since 2003. Because of that close
> connection, Fedora is particularly strong on enterprise features, and it
> often offers them before RHEL does.
>
> Fedora also offers a six-month release schedule, and its security
> features
> <http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/202452/why_linux_is_more_secure_than_windows.html>
> are excellent. While some have viewed it as a cutting-edge distro for
> the Linux "hobbyist," I think improvements over the years and widespread
> popularity have combined to make it a good choice for newer Linux users
> as well.
>

> Full article:
> http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/204767/a_guide_to_todays_top_10_linux_distributions.html? tk=hp_new

On #1 Ubuntu, they say:

..
" Founded by South African millionaire Mark Shuttleworth, Canonical--the
company behind Ubuntu--for many years shipped Ubuntu CDs to interested
users for free, thus speeding its market penetration."
..

/me wonders what we can do to speed market penetration (OTHER than ship
free CDs)

--
Thanks!
Regards,

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Ankursinha

"FranciscoD"

Rahul Sundaram 09-03-2010 09:21 AM

On 09/03/2010 08:10 AM, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> /me wonders what we can do to speed market penetration (OTHER than ship
> free CDs)

These are the things we are trying to do now:

* Improve quality of releases and in particular avoid update regressions
* Have a consistent update policy
* Avoid release slips
* Launch Fedora Insight
* Determine governance changes via discussions online and FAD
* Redesign Fedora websites to be more appealing

Rahul