-   -   release slogan, round 2. (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-marketing/416699-release-slogan-round-2-a.html)

Robyn Bergeron 08-23-2010 06:00 AM

release slogan, round 2.

In an effort to come up with something that ties into our theme, I've
done a little bit of thinking about some of our theme descriptions
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_14_release_slogan#Themes).

I started off with some words, and flipped (err, hit spacebar a lot)
through the thesaurus online to see what other words came up.

I started off with - emerge/emergence - started working with the words
lead, rise, direction, advance... still didn't get a lot of things.
But what I have so far is:

Rise Up.
Be everywhere.
Soar.

Annnnnnd... that's it.

I'm not sure if we should kick off a second wiki table on the same
page, or just bring suggestions to the marketing meeting on tuesday.
If anyone would like to throw in a suggestion either way, I'm happy to
follow.

-Robyn

"Neville A. Cross" 08-23-2010 04:39 PM

release slogan, round 2.

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 12:00 AM, Robyn Bergeron
<robyn.bergeron@gmail.com> wrote:
> In an effort to come up with something that ties into our theme, I've
> done a little bit of thinking about some of our theme descriptions
> (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_14_release_slogan#Themes).
>
> I started off with some words, and flipped (err, hit spacebar a lot)
> through the thesaurus online to see what other words came up.
>
> I started off with - emerge/emergence - started working with the words
> lead, rise, direction, advance... still didn't get a lot of things.
> But what I have so far is:
>
> Rise Up.
> Be everywhere.
> Soar.
>
> Annnnnnd... that's it.
>
> I'm not sure if we should kick off a second wiki table on the same
> page, or just bring suggestions to the marketing meeting on tuesday.
> If anyone would like to throw in a suggestion either way, I'm happy to
> follow.

"Rise Up" is at the wiki and I like it. Not sure if we are going to
get problems with riseup.net or riseuplabs.org

"Soar" can be conflicted with http://sourceforge.net/projects/soar/
For me this a minor conflict.

What about "freedom ascension" ? I am a bit shy to propose as English
is not my first language. Sometimes I feel that I don't fully grasp
the meaning. But again I hate to have matches on google ...
http://www.ascensionsoftware.com

--
Neville
Linux User # 473217

"Jan Wildeboer" 08-23-2010 05:03 PM

release slogan, round 2.

Soar sounds too much like stock price stuff IMHO, why not "The F in Freedom"
or "rising by design" "powered by freedom" "Crossing the tipping point"
"More Freedom"

Ah, #needbeer ;-)

Jan

Stephen John Smoogen 08-23-2010 05:33 PM

release slogan, round 2.

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 00:00, Robyn Bergeron <robyn.bergeron@gmail.com> wrote:
> In an effort to come up with something that ties into our theme, I've
> done a little bit of thinking about some of our theme descriptions
> (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_14_release_slogan#Themes).
>
> I started off with some words, and flipped (err, hit spacebar a lot)
> through the thesaurus online to see what other words came up.
>
> I started off with - emerge/emergence - started working with the words
> lead, rise, direction, advance... still didn't get a lot of things.
> But what I have so far is:
>
> Rise Up.
> Be everywhere.
> Soar.

Vector In.
Ansantz
Starting Point
SuperSolid

> Annnnnnd... that's it.
>
> I'm not sure if we should kick off a second wiki table on the same
> page, or just bring suggestions to the marketing meeting on tuesday.
> If anyone would like to throw in a suggestion either way, I'm happy to
> follow.
>
> -Robyn

Stephen J Smoogen.

Stephen John Smoogen 08-23-2010 05:37 PM

release slogan, round 2.

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 11:22, Larry Cafiero <larry.cafiero@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just putting this out there for discussion, or not: Is $SLOGAN=NONE still an
> option? Looking at the distro landscape, it appears that we're the only ones
> that do it -- and if we're not the only ones doing it, that would affirm my
> main point that slogans may be so secondary to any distro's release name
> that they are irrelevant.
>
> Larry Cafiero

To be honest.. are Release Names really used by people when talking
about Fedora? I see that more often in the Ubuntu/Debian communities
than ever in Fedora/RHL communities.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.

"Jared K. Smith" 08-23-2010 07:09 PM

release slogan, round 2.

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 1:22 PM, Larry Cafiero <larry.cafiero@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just putting this out there for discussion, or not: Is $SLOGAN=NONE still an
> option?

Yes, it's still an option. My plan was to 1) figure out what to do
for an F14 slogan and then 2) come up with a long-term plan. Are you
suggesting not having a slogan for F14, or not having a slogan at all,
or both?

--
Jared Smith
Fedora Project Leader

Luke Slater 08-23-2010 07:27 PM

release slogan, round 2.

On Monday, August 23, 2010 06:37:33 pm Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 11:22, Larry Cafiero <larry.cafiero@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Just putting this out there for discussion, or not: Is $SLOGAN=NONE still
> > an option? Looking at the distro landscape, it appears that we're the
> > only ones that do it -- and if we're not the only ones doing it, that
> > would affirm my main point that slogans may be so secondary to any
> > distro's release name that they are irrelevant.
> >
> > Larry Cafiero
>
> To be honest.. are Release Names really used by people when talking
> about Fedora? I see that more often in the Ubuntu/Debian communities
> than ever in Fedora/RHL communities.

How about "Free as in Fedora"...? ;)

Luke

"Paul W. Frields" 08-24-2010 08:27 PM

release slogan, round 2.

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 03:09:22PM -0400, Jared K. Smith wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 1:22 PM, Larry Cafiero <larry.cafiero@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Just putting this out there for discussion, or not: Is $SLOGAN=NONE still an
> > option?
>
> Yes, it's still an option. My plan was to 1) figure out what to do
> for an F14 slogan and then 2) come up with a long-term plan. Are you
> suggesting not having a slogan for F14, or not having a slogan at all,
> or both?

I suggested in a couple meetings and other places that a
release-specific slogan that changes every six months doesn't meet the
"simplify and amplify" advice that professional marketeer Chris Grams
gave us in the Marketing FAD earlier this year. I think Larry may be
harkening back to that (or maybe he and I are just simpatico on
this?).

There's a front web page redesign going on right now. I think it
makes more sense for us to invest in a long-term message there that is
consistent with Fedora in general, as opposed to one specific release
theme like the release-specific slogan.

Larry Cafiero 08-24-2010 08:42 PM

release slogan, round 2.

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 10:37 AM, Stephen John Smoogen <

To be honest.. are Release Names really used by people when talking

about Fedora? I see that more often in the Ubuntu/Debian communities

than ever in Fedora/RHL communities.

Frankly, yes. It's easy to refer to F13 as Goddard, just as it's common for those in Ubuntu to talk about Feisty, Gutsy, Karmic, Lucid, etc., in referring* to those releases. In fact, more times than not during the course of a presentation, I'll refer to the release by name rather than by number.

But I've never really used the slogans when describing any Fedora release, so I don't think we should be comparing release names to release slogans.

My point -- maybe missed, maybe not -- is how important is a slogan if choosing one is causing problems and taking away from time better spent elsewhere?

[Incidentally, I am just north of ambivalent about the slogan: If we have one, fine; if not, oh well. So I really don't have a horse in this race, so to speak.]

Larry Cafiero