Old 08-24-2010, 08:53 PM
Larry Cafiero

Default release slogan, round 2.

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 12:09 PM, Jared K. Smith <jsmith@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

Yes, it's still an option. *My plan was to 1) figure out what to do

for an F14 slogan and then 2) come up with a long-term plan. *Are you

suggesting not having a slogan for F14, or not having a slogan at all,

or both?
Again, I do not have a horse in this race, so to speak, nor am I aiming to beat a dead one :-)* My only point is that if a slogan is problematic this time, perhaps we should shelve it and not get hung up on it in lieu of delaying other marketing matters.

I can't remember if the marketing value of slogans has been touched on in the past, and if it has, I seem to have missed it (sorry). But as I mentioned in another post, I don't think the slogan is as important as the release name and, as such, the slogan tends to be forgettable (without looking it up, what was the slogan for Fedora 9? See?)

[BTW, Paul, I had forgotten about that missive you mentioned in your post until now, but it was purely coincidental that I brought this topic up.]

Larry Cafiero

Old 08-24-2010, 09:20 PM
Stephen John Smoogen

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 14:42, Larry Cafiero <larry.cafiero@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 10:37 AM, Stephen John Smoogen <
>>
>> To be honest.. are Release Names really used by people when talking
>> about Fedora? I see that more often in the Ubuntu/Debian communities
>> than ever in Fedora/RHL communities.

Re-reading my text, I was more rude than I expected myself to be. I
apologize for any offence as I should have put more reasoning into why
I brought it up.

> Frankly, yes. It's easy to refer to F13 as Goddard, just as it's common for
> those in Ubuntu to talk about Feisty, Gutsy, Karmic, Lucid, etc., in
> referringÂ* to those releases. In fact, more times than not during the course
> of a presentation, I'll refer to the release by name rather than by number.

Whenever I have done that even back in the day I usually got blank
stares from people. When people outside of some Fedora people mention
a release it always seems to be F13 FC6 etc etc. But that might be
just the type of people I end up hanging with. [Beyond the

> But I've never really used the slogans when describing any Fedora release,
> so I don't think we should be comparing release names to release slogans.

To me they are the same thing.. words that describe something that I
see in a release literature but not in RL. Beyond the fun of trying to
pick something for it.. I don't see a reason for either of them
myself. [And beyond the fact that my (and 2-3 developers) choice of
Apollo was RHL5.2 I really cant remember one past 6 months.]

> My point -- maybe missed, maybe not -- is how important is a slogan if
> choosing one is causing problems and taking away from time better spent
> elsewhere?

Ok now I understand better. My view was that if it were causing fun
like the release names seem to do.. why not. However it is more legal
headaches.

> [Incidentally, I am just north of ambivalent about the slogan: If we have
> one, fine; if not, oh well. So I really don't have a horse in this race, so
> to speak.]
>
> Larry Cafiero

Stephen J Smoogen.