Old 08-18-2010, 09:28 PM
Robyn Bergeron

Default F14 release slogan - question for all

So - I was doing a bit of poking around on the intarwebs today and
discovered that MS has a new slogan (as of July 22) - "Be what's
next."

Our slogan chosen yesterday (and now approved by RH Legal) is - "Be More."

These seem... slightly similar to me (just as far as the "Be" part
goes) - does anyone find this uncomfortably similar?

Thoughts welcomed - if we have any rapid objections, I think we could
revisit it, otherwise I think we can go ahead as previously planned
and announce this.

-Robyn

Old 08-18-2010, 09:35 PM
wonderer

Hy Robyn,

Am 18.08.2010 23:28, schrieb Robyn Bergeron:
> So - I was doing a bit of poking around on the intarwebs today and
> discovered that MS has a new slogan (as of July 22) - "Be what's
> next."
>
> Our slogan chosen yesterday (and now approved by RH Legal) is - "Be More."
>
> These seem... slightly similar to me (just as far as the "Be" part
> goes) - does anyone find this uncomfortably similar?
I think that also depends on what we are making of it ;-)
The slogan itself compared to the one from MS seem IMHO really a bit
"confusing" but if we put it in the right content it will "be more" ...
As long as we explain it and put into some kind of textual relations,
etc. it will be Ok I think. It can also "be more" like a challenge to
other companies.

mit freundlichen Grüßen / best regards
Henrik Heigl - wonderer@fedoraproject.org

PGP/GnuPG: 8237 D432 0616 D567 DBC6 3FE3 0D52 B374 F468 A5F0

Old 08-19-2010, 12:54 AM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 11:35:21PM +0200, wonderer wrote:
> Hy Robyn,
>
> Am 18.08.2010 23:28, schrieb Robyn Bergeron:
> > So - I was doing a bit of poking around on the intarwebs today and
> > discovered that MS has a new slogan (as of July 22) - "Be what's
> > next."
> >
> > Our slogan chosen yesterday (and now approved by RH Legal) is - "Be More."
> >
> > These seem... slightly similar to me (just as far as the "Be" part
> > goes) - does anyone find this uncomfortably similar?
> I think that also depends on what we are making of it ;-)
> The slogan itself compared to the one from MS seem IMHO really a bit
> "confusing" but if we put it in the right content it will "be more" ...
> As long as we explain it and put into some kind of textual relations,
> etc. it will be Ok I think. It can also "be more" like a challenge to
> other companies.

Let's hold off on any announcement, until Jared gets a chance to
discuss this further.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:29 AM
Leo Boulton

They are strikingly similar.... but I thought we had a plan B was that approved too?
-Leo Boulton

IP Phone/Single Number Reach: +1 (954) 282.1239
Blog: http://blog.myboulton.com

Online Presence: http://myboulton.com/ids.html

--

Paul W. Frields * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *http://paul.frields.org/

*gpg fingerprint: 3DA6 A0AC 6D58 FEC4 0233 *5906 ACDB C937 BD11 3717

*http://redhat.com/ * - *- *- *- * http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/

* * * * *Where open source multiplies: http://opensource.com

Old 08-19-2010, 01:56 PM
"Jared K. Smith"

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 10:29 PM, Leo Boulton <leo@myboulton.com> wrote:
> They are strikingly similar....

I guess this shows how much time I've been paying attention to
Microsoft lately.

> but I thought we had a plan B was that approved too?

Our "Plan B" slogan was also approved. Our second choice slogan was "Evolve".

Out of an abundance of caution, and to avoid any possible confusion, I
propose we move forward with the "Evolve" slogan for Fedora 14.

--
Jared Smith
Fedora Project Leader

Old 08-19-2010, 03:45 PM
"Jared K. Smith"

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 9:56 AM, Jared K. Smith
<jsmith@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Our "Plan B" slogan was also approved. Our second choice slogan was "Evolve".

Actually, I jumped the gun on this one as well :-(

In going back through my email this morning to double check, I see
that the backup slogan was *not* approved. So please don't announce
anything until I get my act together.

Sorry for the confusion.

--
Jared Smith
Fedora Project Leader

Old 08-19-2010, 04:57 PM
Luke Slater

On 19 August 2010 16:45, Jared K. Smith <jsmith@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 9:56 AM, Jared K. Smith

<jsmith@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Our "Plan B" slogan was also approved. Our second choice slogan was "Evolve".

Actually, I jumped the gun on this one as well :-(

In going back through my email this morning to double check, I see

that the backup slogan was *not* approved. *So please don't announce

anything until I get my act together.

Sorry for the confusion.

--

Jared Smith

Fedora Project Leader

I like evolve better anyway
Thanks,

--
Luke Slater
:O)

Old 08-20-2010, 03:52 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 05:57:10PM +0100, Luke Slater wrote:
> On 19 August 2010 16:45, Jared K. Smith <jsmith@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 9:56 AM, Jared K. Smith
> > <jsmith@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > > Our "Plan B" slogan was also approved. Our second choice slogan was
> > "Evolve".
> >
> > Actually, I jumped the gun on this one as well :-(
> >
> > In going back through my email this morning to double check, I see
> > that the backup slogan was *not* approved. So please don't announce
> > anything until I get my act together.
> >
> > Sorry for the confusion.
>
> I like evolve better anyway

Unfortunately, that's the Plan B slogan that was not approved.

We should come up with a plan to deal with this -- it's far from
catastrophic, just something we need to discuss and then execute. We
have a couple options, it seems to me:

there weren't any other slogans in the proposal list that generated
enthusiastic response. So we could try to come up with one or more
here, and try again with Legal.

(2) Put aside the slogan for F14, and use whatever space we reserve
for the release-specific slogan to instead reinforce (for example) the
4 Foundations.

We can probably have a separate discussion about the long-term value
of a release-specific slogan, and whether we feel it's worthwhile to
continue that practice. For now, let's concentrate on what to do for
F14 specifically. Which of the above options do people feel has the
most value right now?

Old 08-20-2010, 06:12 PM
"Neville A. Cross"

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 9:52 AM, Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 05:57:10PM +0100, Luke Slater wrote:
>> On 19 August 2010 16:45, Jared K. Smith <jsmith@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

>> > "Evolve".
>> >
>> > Actually, I jumped the gun on this one as well :-(
>> >
>> > In going back through my email this morning to double check, I see
>> > that the backup slogan was *not* approved. *So please don't announce
>> > anything until I get my act together.
>> >
>> > Sorry for the confusion.
>>
>> I like evolve better anyway
>
> Unfortunately, that's the Plan B slogan that was not approved.
>
> We should come up with a plan to deal with this -- it's far from
> catastrophic, just something we need to discuss and then execute. *We
> have a couple options, it seems to me:

> there weren't any other slogans in the proposal list that generated
> enthusiastic response. *So we could try to come up with one or more
> here, and try again with Legal.
>
> (2) Put aside the slogan for F14, and use whatever space we reserve
> for the release-specific slogan to instead reinforce (for example) the
> 4 Foundations.
>
> We can probably have a separate discussion about the long-term value
> of a release-specific slogan, and whether we feel it's worthwhile to
> continue that practice. *For now, let's concentrate on what to do for
> F14 specifically. *Which of the above options do people feel has the
> most value right now?

I will go with 1 if there is marketing manpower.
I am not sure how response has been, but if after a call for team up
and solve this there is no more people... then we should move to
option 2.

Tempe may be a good time to chat about the practice and value of a
slogan for each realease.

Best regards

--
Neville
Linux User # 473217

Old 08-23-2010, 05:56 AM
Robyn Bergeron

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 8:52 AM, Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 05:57:10PM +0100, Luke Slater wrote:
>> On 19 August 2010 16:45, Jared K. Smith <jsmith@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

>> > "Evolve".
>> >
>> > Actually, I jumped the gun on this one as well :-(
>> >
>> > In going back through my email this morning to double check, I see
>> > that the backup slogan was *not* approved. *So please don't announce
>> > anything until I get my act together.
>> >
>> > Sorry for the confusion.
>>
>> I like evolve better anyway
>
> Unfortunately, that's the Plan B slogan that was not approved.
>
> We should come up with a plan to deal with this -- it's far from
> catastrophic, just something we need to discuss and then execute. *We
> have a couple options, it seems to me:

> there weren't any other slogans in the proposal list that generated
> enthusiastic response. *So we could try to come up with one or more
> here, and try again with Legal.
>
> (2) Put aside the slogan for F14, and use whatever space we reserve
> for the release-specific slogan to instead reinforce (for example) the
> 4 Foundations.
>
> We can probably have a separate discussion about the long-term value
> of a release-specific slogan, and whether we feel it's worthwhile to
> continue that practice. *For now, let's concentrate on what to do for
> F14 specifically. *Which of the above options do people feel has the
> most value right now?

While I'd like to come up with -something- that is relating to our
theme - it seems like we're having a hard time finding something
appropriate that ties in that fits with the requirements (call to
action, strong verbs, etc etc).

I have a few suggestions that I've come up with, which I will drop
into a new thread; however, I'm happy to reach out to number 2 if we
don't see anything jumping out at us by Tuesday.

-Robyn