Old 05-20-2010, 10:42 AM
Luke Slater

Default Priorities for Fedora Buzz

Hello everyone,

As you might already know, I wrote a blog post for Buzz the other
day[1] and it gained around 109 clicks[2] from Identi.ca and Twitter,
as well as many views from Fedora planet. We got some feedback on the
post and the main points were as follows:

* Buzz isn't all that great of a name for it.
* OpenMarketing as a proposed name for the platform (from Gerard)
* Similar to KDE Buzz and we should take a look at what they're doing
(was someone working on seeing whether the code for that was open?)
but it's sufficiently different to warrant a new piece of software.
* Marketing about marketing is a good thing!

What do you think of these?

There are some things that I would really like to get decided
relatively quickly so the design of the actual system can begin:

1. Technology - Should this be pursued in Moksha or using PHP. I'm
leaning quite a lot towards just using PHP at the moment because it
will save drastic amounts of time learning how to use another
framework and I'm more comfortable with it.
2. Name - I like OpenMarketing for the platform, but maybe we should
change the Fedora-specific app's name from Buzz to something else.
Thoughts?

Other considerations include design. I'm not a designer by any
capacity so I guess I can just create a simple front-end for it to
start off with and then when we have something to show maybe we can
get one of the Fedora designers to have a look at it?

Thanks and I hope I'm not being too verbose,

Luke

[1] http://bit.ly/9AojGy
[2] http://bit.ly/9AojGy+

--
Luke Slater
:O)

Old 05-20-2010, 02:13 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 11:42:03AM +0100, Luke Slater wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> As you might already know, I wrote a blog post for Buzz the other
> day[1] and it gained around 109 clicks[2] from Identi.ca and Twitter,
> as well as many views from Fedora planet. We got some feedback on the
> post and the main points were as follows:
>
> * Buzz isn't all that great of a name for it.
> * OpenMarketing as a proposed name for the platform (from Gerard)
> * Similar to KDE Buzz and we should take a look at what they're doing
> (was someone working on seeing whether the code for that was open?)
> but it's sufficiently different to warrant a new piece of software.
> * Marketing about marketing is a good thing!

A couple ideas regarding this service:

* We should really pick a distinctive name for this service, even if
we share code with another such service. And we should do that as
soon as possible, because names tend to stick, and it's harder to
change a name once people start using it.

* I'd be interested in knowing whether we can accomplish this service
as a module for the content management system. That way we can get
your help on that system, and at the same time you may not have to
write the entire delivery mechanism from scratch. (Yay, free
software!) By the way, here's a freebie -- if we *can* do this as
part of the CMS, then we already have a distinctive name, Fedora
Insight, and this is yet another awesome function that platform can
deliver. Insight is meant to aggregate and report content, and it
seems to me this is a natural fit for that goal.

* Once we have those two pieces of information, doing the design is
probably best as an up-front goal. I think most designers would
tell you it's easier to start with the design -- meaning you can
clearly establish your goals and requirements -- rather than trying
to change all that once the backend has already been written.