Old 05-18-2010, 10:50 PM
Robert 'Bob' Jensen

Default An animal mascot for Fedora?

----- "Luke Slater" <tinmachin3@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> Should we have a think about Fedora maybe getting an animal mascot?
> We
> have a great logo at the moment but I think people can relate more to
> animals and it might give the project a more friendly feel? This kind
> of thing has proven successful for a certain kernel as well as
> distributions such as SuSE. Not to say we should just be copying the
> other distributions ideas but I think they are onto something there.
>
> We could have Sean the turtle. Why? Because I have a turtle named
> Sean
> (http://i47.tinypic.com/r1bgj8.jpg) and I think someone could make a
> nice SVG logo out of a turtle; plus, they would make good cuddly toys
> which is good for merchandise. There has been some support for the
> idea already when I asked in the Fedora group on Identica earlier.
>
> I just thought I would mention it, what do you think?
>
> Thanks a lot,

No thanks.

-- Bob

Old 05-18-2010, 11:15 PM
inode0

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 5:58 PM, Luke Slater <tinmachin3@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> Should we have a think about Fedora maybe getting an animal mascot? We
> have a great logo at the moment but I think people can relate more to
> animals and it might give the project a more friendly feel? This kind
> of thing has proven successful for a certain kernel as well as
> distributions such as SuSE. Not to say we should just be copying the
> other distributions ideas but I think they are onto something there.
>
> We could have Sean the turtle. Why? Because I have a turtle named Sean
> (http://i47.tinypic.com/r1bgj8.jpg) and I think someone could make a
> nice SVG logo out of a turtle; plus, they would make good cuddly toys
> which is good for merchandise. There has been some support for the
> idea already when I asked in the Fedora group on Identica earlier.
>
> I just thought I would mention it, what do you think?

well, I just can't help myself whenever this comes up so ...

http://www.ultimatereef.net/uploads/Picture 18 - Blue starfish.jpg

cheers,
John

Old 05-18-2010, 11:31 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 05/19/2010 04:28 AM, Luke Slater wrote:
> We could have Sean the turtle. Why? Because I have a turtle named Sean
> (http://i47.tinypic.com/r1bgj8.jpg) and I think someone could make a
> nice SVG logo out of a turtle; plus, they would make good cuddly toys
> which is good for merchandise. There has been some support for the
> idea already when I asked in the Fedora group on Identica earlier.
>
> I just thought I would mention it, what do you think?

One practical aspect to consider about Mascots is that our logo has some
tight rules and strict guidelines associated with it. A mascot provides
more artistic freedoms and enables some possibilities for a Fedora store
if ever get one up and running.

Rahul

Old 05-19-2010, 12:47 PM
Mario Torre

Il giorno mar, 18/05/2010 alle 22.50 +0000, Robert 'Bob' Jensen ha
scritto:

> No thanks.

This is indeed a very constructive answer.

I like the idea of the animal mascotte, but should be something cute,
perhaps a different mascotte for each release even?

Cheers,
Mario
--
pgp key: http://subkeys.pgp.net/ PGP Key ID: 80F240CF
Fingerprint: BA39 9666 94EC 8B73 27FA FC7C 4086 63E3 80F2 40CF

Proud GNU Classpath developer: http://www.classpath.org/
Read About us at: http://planet.classpath.org
OpenJDK: http://openjdk.java.net/projects/caciocavallo/

Please, support open standards:
http://endsoftpatents.org/

Old 05-19-2010, 12:58 PM
Jan Wildeboer

On 05/19/2010 02:47 PM, Mario Torre wrote:

> I like the idea of the animal mascotte, but should be something cute,
> perhaps a different mascotte for each release even?

Please don't. If we ever want to manufacture/license a mascot and change
it all the time, we will sit on a huge pile of expensive goodies that
are outdated.

If we ever should stick to a mascot, I would propose a fish. For various
reasons.

- Since Finding Nemo fish are perceived as schweet ;-)
- A fish feeds the penguin, a nice pun wrt being a Linux distribution ;-)
- A fish needs water - symbolises the ecosystem around Open Source
- A fish never sleeps ;-)

So I would propose a Blue Clown fish ala Finding Nemo. I am sure Nicu
can come up with a beautiful SVG of a clownfish with the fedora F on its
skin ;-)

Jan

--
Jan H Wildeboer |
EMEA Open Source Affairs | Office: +49 (0)89 205071-207

Reg. Adresse: Red Hat GmbH,
Technopark II, Haus C, Werner-von-Siemens-Ring 11 -15
85630 Grasbrunn, Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Muenchen HRB 153243
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Brendan Lane, Charlie Peters, Michael Cunningham,
Charles Cachera

Old 05-19-2010, 12:59 PM
Marķa Leandro

Hello

My suggestion... don't use animals. Some animals are holy in some countries, some are hunted, some are near extintion... how will you choose an animal without send a wrong message? is a complicated topic and I don't think that "because is cute" must be the reason.

Instead, I made some "kids" that we can use, this are really like the "join fedora" icons and represent US, the people that work with fedora, Mo also use this kids in some talks and I have been using them in several artworks.

Just an Idea, and maybe we do need something beyond our logo to send a message... but we need to think really "what do we need"

Here some examples:

http://proyectofedora.org/wiki/Arte/Banners

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tatadbb/3723964218/in/set-72157606893687387/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tatadbb/3723154711/in/set-72157613836974776/

hope to help

scritto:

> No thanks.

This is indeed a very constructive answer.

I like the idea of the animal mascotte, but should be something cute,

perhaps a different mascotte for each release even?

Cheers,

Mario

--

pgp key: http://subkeys.pgp.net/ PGP Key ID: 80F240CF

Fingerprint: BA39 9666 94EC 8B73 27FA *FC7C 4086 63E3 80F2 40CF

Proud GNU Classpath developer: http://www.classpath.org/

Read About us at: http://planet.classpath.org

OpenJDK: http://openjdk.java.net/projects/caciocavallo/

Please, support open standards:

http://endsoftpatents.org/

tatica
Maria Gracia Leandro
http://www.tatica.org
http://www.fedora-ve.org

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MariaLeandro
LinuxUser= 440285
GPG Public Key: E1CDCC56
"Be yourself... Don't be anyone else"

Old 05-19-2010, 02:12 PM
wonderer

Hy there,

here are my thoughts about this...
> Should we have a think about Fedora maybe getting an animal mascot?
I would not recommend it, because...
> We
> have a great logo at the moment but I think people can relate more to
> animals and it might give the project a more friendly feel?
I thought our 4F's has a "Friends" in it. That should work so far well...
> This kind
> of thing has proven successful for a certain kernel as well as
> distributions such as SuSE.
Another F stands for First ... we would not be the First who uses an
animal...
> We could have Sean the turtle. Why? Because I have a turtle named Sean
> (http://i47.tinypic.com/r1bgj8.jpg) and I think someone could make a
> nice SVG logo out of a turtle; plus, they would make good cuddly toys
> which is good for merchandise.
... and besides that what purpose has that specific animal? What could
be associated with that animal? I think "slow" and "can be old" would
not fit within Fedora ...
> I just thought I would mention it, what do you think?

It maybe at some circumstances worth an idea to make several for one
specific event and THEN see how it would work. But I would feel more
comfortable with a Unique Toy or so. The "people" someone else mentioend
would be more interresting I think.

It also would be very difficult to establish a "new" mascote, becuase we
allready established the "f" - Logo very well. Maybe we could think of
what we could do with THAT thing...

mit freundlichen grüßen / best regards
H. Heigl - wonderer@fedoraproject.org

Old 05-19-2010, 02:50 PM
Robert 'Bob' Jensen

----- "Mario Torre" <neugens@limasoftware.net> wrote:

> This is indeed a very constructive answer.

<snip>

We have been over the mascot thing in the past, was a waste of resources then and IMO would be again.

The symbolism of a turtle has nothing to do with Fedora, turtle... slow, Fedora... fast.

I am entitled to my opinion and it is still...

No thanks.

-- Bob

Old 05-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Daniel Kretschmer

-1 for mascot*
well the <https://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/2/22/Artwork_Mascot_bear_mascot_standing.png> is simple and good

2010/5/19 Luke Slater <tinmachin3@gmail.com>

[...]

:O)

Old 05-24-2010, 11:31 PM
threethirty

On Thu, 2010-05-20 at 08:29 +1930, Marķa Leandro wrote:
> Hello
>
> My suggestion... don't use animals. Some animals are holy in some
> countries, some are hunted, some are near extintion... how will you
> choose an animal without send a wrong message? is a complicated topic
> and I don't think that "because is cute" must be the reason.
>
> Instead, I made some "kids" that we can use, this are re ally like the
> "join fedora" icons and represent US, the people that work with
> fedora, Mo also use this kids in some talks and I have been using them
> in several artworks.
>
> Just an Idea, and maybe we do need something beyond our logo to send a
> message... but we need to think really "what do we need"
>
> Here some examples:
>
> http://proyectofedora.org/wiki/Arte/Banners
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/tatadbb/3723964218/in/set-72157606893687387/
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/tatadbb/3723154711/in/set-72157613836974776/
>
> hope to help

Marķa,

Would you relicense those CC-BY, CC-BY-SA, or CC-0 so that others could
use them even if they don't become an official part of out marketing
arsenal?

--
Justin "threethirty" O'Brien
Fedora Ambassador & Marketing Team Member

DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in this email are my own, not those
of my employer. My opinions are also not necessarily the opinions of
any organization with which I have a volunteer affiliation.