Old 05-16-2010, 11:57 PM
Luke Slater

Default Idea for tracking Fedora Marketing team success

Hey everyone,

I noticed on the Fedora Marketing Wiki page that you are starting to
think about ways that we can track how the marketing team is doing so
I was wondering whether something like a PHP application which could
aggregate the "buzz" about Fedora over several social networks over
time and thus be able to generate reports/graphs and such would be
useful to the Marketing team?

As well as potentially being a pretty cool tool for visualising and
tracking what people are saying about Fedora, if it were expanded to
look for talk about specific releases or products then you could tell
if marketing campaigns are paying off in terms of whether people are
talking about it or not and whether we are meeting targets in that
respect too. Gerard Braad tells me that recently we've tried marketing
particular feature-sets in an attempt to more concretely define the
Fedora userbase and I think it could be useful for this too.

I would be happy to work on something like this, so let me know what
you think :-)

Thanks,

--
Luke Slater
:O)

Old 05-17-2010, 12:06 AM
Rahul Sundaram

On 05/17/2010 05:27 AM, Luke Slater wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I noticed on the Fedora Marketing Wiki page that you are starting to
> think about ways that we can track how the marketing team is doing so
> I was wondering whether something like a PHP application which could
> aggregate the "buzz" about Fedora over several social networks over
> time and thus be able to generate reports/graphs and such would be
> useful to the Marketing team?

Sounds pretty interesting. What social networking sites did you have in
mind? What would the user interface look like? A mockup if you can do
one would be very useful to get a better idea of what you have in mind.

Rahul

Old 05-17-2010, 12:07 AM
Gerard Braad

Hello Luke,

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 1:57 AM, Luke Slater <tinmachin3@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was wondering whether something like a PHP application

I would expect the preference for such a tool is to make it with Moksha

https://fedorahosted.org/moksha/

An example of this is:

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/community/

> more concretely define the Fedora userbase

Such a tool would provide a much better insight in what interests our
users. Or at least, what they mention on social networks and blogs
when they talk about Fedora. I currently use http://collecta.com/ to
get this overview of topics in which I show interest.

Kind regards,

Gerard — 吉拉德

Old 05-17-2010, 12:12 AM
Luke

On 17 May 2010 01:06, Rahul Sundaram <metherid@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/17/2010 05:27 AM, Luke Slater wrote:
>> Hey everyone,
>>
>> I noticed on the Fedora Marketing Wiki page that you are starting to
>> think about ways that we can track how the marketing team is doing so
>> I was wondering whether something like a PHP application which could
>> aggregate the "buzz" about Fedora over several social networks over
>> time and thus be able to generate reports/graphs and such would be
>> useful to the Marketing team?
>>

> Sounds pretty interesting. *What social networking sites did you have in
> mind? *What would the user interface look like? *A mockup if you can do
> one would be very useful to get a better idea of what you have in mind.
>
> Rahul

As Gerard has just posted, the tool could be coded with Moksha (I can
do Python too ), and could thus perhaps be integrated with the
Fedora Community site.

In terms of the social networks, there would be Identica, Twitter and
the wider "Blogosphere." The good thing is that most social networks
carry APIs which allow you to pull information about topics from them
relatively easily.

Thanks,

--
Luke Slater
:O)

Old 05-17-2010, 12:20 AM
Rahul Sundaram

On 05/17/2010 05:42 AM, Luke wrote:
> In terms of the social networks, there would be Identica, Twitter and
> the wider "Blogosphere." The good thing is that most social networks
> carry APIs which allow you to pull information about topics from them
> relatively easily.

Currently, I use Google alerts and subscribe to the Fedora group in
identi.ca. It would be nice to augment it with specialized
infrastructure. Moksha has gone rather quiet these days. I suggest
talking to Luke Macken ( https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LukeMacken) who
is leading that effort and talking to Fedora Infrastructure team about
what they are willing to host. Most of our infrastructure apps are in
Python, specifically Turbogears but we have Django and PHP (mediawiki
and potentially Zikula soon) in the mix as well.

http://fedorahosted.org is available for hosting the code and you can
use the wiki to brainstorm and add more details. One example is
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Insight. If you have any
questions, feel free to ask.

Rahul

Old 05-17-2010, 02:20 AM
Ryan Rix

On Sun 16 May 2010 4:57:26 pm Luke Slater wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I noticed on the Fedora Marketing Wiki page that you are starting to
> think about ways that we can track how the marketing team is doing so
> I was wondering whether something like a PHP application which could
> aggregate the "buzz" about Fedora over several social networks over
> time and thus be able to generate reports/graphs and such would be
> useful to the Marketing team?
>
> As well as potentially being a pretty cool tool for visualising and
> tracking what people are saying about Fedora, if it were expanded to
> look for talk about specific releases or products then you could tell
> if marketing campaigns are paying off in terms of whether people are
> talking about it or not and whether we are meeting targets in that
> respect too. Gerard Braad tells me that recently we've tried marketing
> particular feature-sets in an attempt to more concretely define the
> Fedora userbase and I think it could be useful for this too.
>
> I would be happy to work on something like this, so let me know what
> you think :-)
>
> Thanks,

Hi Luke,

Sweet idea!

How about something like http://buzz.kde.org ? I can get with kde-www and
see if the code behind it as freely available.

Ryan

--
Ryan Rix

Old 05-17-2010, 11:34 AM
Luke Slater

On 17 May 2010 03:20, Ryan Rix <ry@n.rix.si> wrote:

> Hi Luke,
>
> Sweet idea!
>
> How about something like http://buzz.kde.org ? I can get with kde-www and
> see if the code behind it as freely available.
>
> Ryan
>

> --
> Ryan Rix
> == http://hackersramblings.wordpress.com | http://rix.si/ ==

Something like KDE Buzz would be good, then having it record activity
levels to see if goals are being met :-)

It would be good if the source code for KDE Buzz was open but perhaps
that wouldn't fit in if it weren't developed in Moksha?

--
Luke Slater
:O)

Old 05-17-2010, 12:20 PM
Gerard Braad

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 1:34 PM, Luke Slater <tinmachin3@gmail.com> wrote:
> Something like KDE Buzz would be good, then having it record activity
> levels to see if goals are being met :-)

KDE Buzz only provides one element of your suggested idea, the
aggregation of he information. but no processing is performed... maybe
suggest an idea on a wiki with some more details as would the tool
could do/become.

> It would be good if the source code for KDE Buzz was open but perhaps
> that wouldn't fit in if it weren't developed in Moksha?

Moksha is not a pre-requisite. As Rahul pointed out, different
languages and frameworks are in use on the Fedora Infrastructure. It
might even be possible the code itself does not fit well in the idea
proposed.

Is there a place on the Wiki to propose the idea?

Kind regards,

Gerard — 吉拉德

Old 05-17-2010, 12:50 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 02:20:09PM +0200, Gerard Braad wrote:
> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 1:34 PM, Luke Slater <tinmachin3@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Something like KDE Buzz would be good, then having it record activity
> > levels to see if goals are being met :-)
>
> KDE Buzz only provides one element of your suggested idea, the
> aggregation of he information. but no processing is performed... maybe
> suggest an idea on a wiki with some more details as would the tool
> could do/become.
>
> > It would be good if the source code for KDE Buzz was open but perhaps
> > that wouldn't fit in if it weren't developed in Moksha?
>
> Moksha is not a pre-requisite. As Rahul pointed out, different
> languages and frameworks are in use on the Fedora Infrastructure. It
> might even be possible the code itself does not fit well in the idea
> proposed.

We are actively looking for more ways to use Moksha, and expand the
Fedora Community Portal. If possible, I'd recommend going that route,
especially since we have a number of people in Infrastructure who can
offer advice and assistance if needed. Moksha offers very robust
features for realtime updates, which could be helpful in this
situation.

> Is there a place on the Wiki to propose the idea?

You can simply create a new page and put [[Category:Proposals]] at the
bottom of the text. Then you can refer to it when talking to
Infrastructure, Marketing, and other Fedora teams that would be
involved with the work.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:42 PM
Luke Slater

Hey everyone,

I've created a basic proposal on the Wiki which incorporates most of
the things that have been mentioned so far on this mailing list. Feel
free to add to it so we can develop an idea of what we really want out
of this and the considerations that we need to discuss:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Buzz

I'm pretty new to wiki-based editing so apologies if I've done
anything wrong on that front!

Thanks,

--
Luke Slater