Old 05-14-2010, 07:12 PM
Luke Slater

Default Self Introduction: Luke Slater

Hi, my name is Luke Slater and I live in Cambridge, England. My FAS
username is Reality and my IRC nick is NourishedCloud.

I learned about the Fedora Marketing team through conversations on
#fedora-admins on how I could help get involved with the Fedora
project and it was suggested that my writing could come in useful to
the project!

I'm relatively new to getting directly involved with FOSS projects but
I am a volunteer webmaster for the FSF and I am working on some
smaller projects by myself or with another person such as Tunnel
(which aims to provide Steam-like functionality to FOSS gaming).

However, this is the first Marketing project I have worked on. I am
able to write both technically and not (I study English Language at
college) for a number of different purposes.

When I'm not working on Fedora, I am studying at college and will be
attending university starting this September. I also have a part-time
job administering CentOS servers.

I would like Fedora to be widely recognised as the amazing project
that it is and the chance to bring more people to Fedora as well as
Linux and FOSS is an opportunity that I can't pass up.

I've read the material on the Fedora wiki about the marketing project
and while I am wondering how exactly to get started, I imagine that I
will get more information when joining the Marketing group properly
(which I will do after sending this email) and through the meetings
held on IRC.

I wasn't really sure how rigid this email structure was supposed to be
but I've tried to keep to it vaguely...

Thanks a lot for your time and I look forward to working with you,

--
Luke Slater
:O)

Old 05-14-2010, 07:14 PM
Joe O'Dell

Hey Luke!

Welcome! Although I can't approve your application, it's great to see you here.

I'm sure you know who I am, (a big hint, my IRC nick is ascenseur).

Be seeing you around!

Joe
Joe O'Dell

GreenerClassrooms Project Co-Ordinator
http://www.greenerclassrooms.org.uk

Fedora Ambassador & Contributor (FreeMedia)
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Ascenseur

bedsLUG Co-Ordinator
beds.lug.org.uk

DFEY Member (SouthEast)
dfey.org

Old 05-14-2010, 10:30 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 08:14:56PM +0100, Joe O'Dell wrote:
> On 14 May 2010, at 20:12, Luke Slater wrote:
>
> > Hi, my name is Luke Slater and I live in Cambridge, England. My FAS
> > username is Reality and my IRC nick is NourishedCloud.

[...snip...]

> > I wasn't really sure how rigid this email structure was supposed to be
> > but I've tried to keep to it vaguely...
> >
> > Thanks a lot for your time and I look forward to working with you,
>
> Hey Luke!
>
> Welcome! Although I can't approve your application, it's great to see you here.
>
> I'm sure you know who I am, (a big hint, my IRC nick is ascenseur).
>
> Be seeing you around!

Fortunately, there's no big approval process. Here's what I'd offer
in lieu of that. This isn't so much for our OP, who as a FSF member
probably understands it already, but for people who might be lurking
or uncertain. You are welcome here!

* Show up for an IRC meeting if possible.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing_meetings

* Pick a specific task to work on. If you have questions, ask someone
publicly -- on this mailing list is best. Short, targeted emails
usually do much better than long-winded ones (take it from a writer
who's too wordy).

* Do your task, with some help if needed.

* Congratulations, you are now a valued contributor! Feel free to
return to the first step. ;-)

The more often you repeat this, the more valued you'll be. Pretty
simple, eh? (This is how I started, FWIW.)