FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Marketing

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-09-2010, 11:38 PM
Rahul Sundaram
 
Default Status of PPC

Hi.

We have moved PPC to a secondary architecture in Fedora and made no
formal announcement about it so far. I am not sure whether we would
images at release time but it seems unlikely. Should we have a separate
announcement? If not, anyone wants to add a blurb to the Fedora 13
announcement at

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_13_announcement

Rahul
--
marketing mailing list
marketing@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing
 
Old 05-09-2010, 11:56 PM
Gerard Braad
 
Default Status of PPC

Hi Rahul,


On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 1:38 AM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid@gmail.com> wrote:
> We have moved PPC to a secondary architecture in Fedora and made no
> formal announcement about it so far.

I do not want to upset anybody, but I recently had to edit the page
for the Secondary Architectures and asked one of the members of the
PPC team why they had two different groups for their effort; being
ppc32 and ppc64. I changed the page as they both referred to the same
project :-s. The team member responded: 'However, due to fact that
PowerPC is decaying, nobody cares'.

Somehow he is correct about this. Apple does not create any hardware
based on the PowerPC... even Sony dropped the alternative OS support
in their Playstation's... so, it will be hard to get a consumer device
that runs a PowerPC. Is it therefore a good idea to mention it? IMHO
it would be a belated announcement for a dying platform. :-(

kind regards,


Gerard - 吉拉德
--
marketing mailing list
marketing@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing
 
Old 05-10-2010, 12:26 AM
Larry Cafiero
 
Default Status of PPC

All the same, Gerard, there are some people, like me, who still use Fedora on PowerPC architecture. So while Apple no longer creates PPC machines, and I cannot speak for PlayStation, the fact that there are still a lot of PPC-based Apple hardware still running (a testament to Apple's hardware quality which, with a few exceptions, is fairly top-notch) is something that shouldn't be ignored, despite dwindling numbers.


This is probably not the right place to talk about this, however it bears mentioning.

Larry Cafiero

On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 4:56 PM, Gerard Braad <gbraad@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

Hi Rahul,





On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 1:38 AM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid@gmail.com> wrote:

> We have moved PPC to a secondary architecture in Fedora and made no

> formal announcement about it so far.



I do not want to upset anybody, but I recently had to edit the page

for the Secondary Architectures and asked one of the members of the

PPC team why they had two different groups for their effort; being

ppc32 and ppc64. I changed the page as they both referred to the same

project :-s. The team member responded: 'However, due to fact that

PowerPC is decaying, nobody cares'.



Somehow he is correct about this. Apple does not create any hardware

based on the PowerPC... even Sony dropped the alternative OS support

in their Playstation's... so, it will be hard to get a consumer device

that runs a PowerPC. Is it therefore a good idea to mention it? IMHO

it would be a belated announcement for a dying platform. :-(



kind regards,





Gerard - 吉拉德

--

marketing mailing list

marketing@lists.fedoraproject.org

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing

--
marketing mailing list
marketing@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing
 
Old 05-10-2010, 12:36 AM
Gerard Braad
 
Default Status of PPC

Hi Larry,

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 2:26 AM, Larry Cafiero <larry.cafiero@gmail.com> wrote:
> All the same, Gerard, there are some people, like me, who still use Fedora
> on PowerPC architecture.

So do I... :-)

> This is probably not the right place to talk about this, however it bears
> mentioning.

According to your reaction, you would still like to see a formal
announcement of PPC being a 2nd arch?

greets,


Gerard - 吉拉德
--
marketing mailing list
marketing@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing
 
Old 05-10-2010, 12:41 AM
Larry Cafiero
 
Default Status of PPC

Hey, Gerard --

Since OpenSUSE dropped its PPC version recently, I believe it leaves only Fedora and Debian with PPC versions of their distros -- at least among the major ones (I'd be happy to know if this is true, or if there are others).


If this warrants an announcement, I don't know. I believe you can still download a PPC version from the download page, though, so I am not sure what the standard procedure is for announcing releases when it comes to different architectures.


Also, I don't remember a PPC announcement for F12, but I could have missed it.

Anyway, whatever is best, I'm OK with.

Larry

On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 5:36 PM, Gerard Braad <gbraad@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

Hi Larry,



On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 2:26 AM, Larry Cafiero <larry.cafiero@gmail.com> wrote:

> All the same, Gerard, there are some people, like me, who still use Fedora

> on PowerPC architecture.



So do I... :-)



> This is probably not the right place to talk about this, however it bears

> mentioning.



According to your reaction, you would still like to see a formal

announcement of PPC being a 2nd arch?



greets,





Gerard - 吉拉德

--

marketing mailing list

marketing@lists.fedoraproject.org

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing

--
marketing mailing list
marketing@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing
 
Old 05-10-2010, 02:37 PM
Rahul Sundaram
 
Default Status of PPC

On 05/10/2010 05:26 AM, Gerard Braad wrote:
> Is it therefore a good idea to mention it? IMHO
> it would be a belated announcement for a dying platform. :-(
>

We, in the Fedora Project have made a change and it is within our
responsibility to announce the change properly, I believe. I have added
a note to

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_13_announcement#Power_PC_Support

I have completed all the changes I wanted to make in the Fedora 13
announcement. Review is appreciated.

Rahul
--
marketing mailing list
marketing@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing
 
Old 05-10-2010, 03:19 PM
Larry Cafiero
 
Default Status of PPC

That looks good to me, Rahul.

Larry Cafiero

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 7:37 AM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid@gmail.com> wrote:

On 05/10/2010 05:26 AM, Gerard Braad wrote:

> Is it therefore a good idea to mention it? IMHO

> it would be a belated announcement for a dying platform. :-(

>



We, in the Fedora Project have made a change and it is within our

responsibility to announce the change properly, I believe. *I have added

a note to



https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_13_announcement#Power_PC_Support



I have completed all the changes I wanted to make in the Fedora 13

announcement. *Review is appreciated.



Rahul

--

marketing mailing list

marketing@lists.fedoraproject.org

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing



--
marketing mailing list
marketing@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing
 
Old 05-10-2010, 07:10 PM
"Paul W. Frields"
 
Default Status of PPC

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 08:19:32AM -0700, Larry Cafiero wrote:
> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 7:37 AM, Rahul Sundaram <[1]metherid@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> On 05/10/2010 05:26 AM, Gerard Braad wrote:
> > Is it therefore a good idea to mention it? IMHO
> > it would be a belated announcement for a dying platform. :-(
> >
>
> We, in the Fedora Project have made a change and it is within our
> responsibility to announce the change properly, I believe. �I have added
> a note to
>
> [2]https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_13_announcement#Power_PC_Support
>
> I have completed all the changes I wanted to make in the Fedora 13
> announcement. �Review is appreciated.
> Rahul
>
> That looks good to me, Rahul.

I made some trivial style edits, but it looks good to me too. Thanks
for putting that in, Rahul.


--
Paul W. Frields http://paul.frields.org/
gpg fingerprint: 3DA6 A0AC 6D58 FEC4 0233 5906 ACDB C937 BD11 3717
http://redhat.com/ - - - - http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/
Where open source multiplies: http://opensource.com
--
marketing mailing list
marketing@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:55 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org