Old 05-06-2010, 04:11 PM
Nelson Marques

Default PortugalFAD

Dear all,

Something came up the other day in the trans_PT lists and I'm pushing a
FAD in Portugal forward.

Some minor details are to be found here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PtFAD

Currently there is no date assigned because our national community is so
small that we're trying to select a date where everyone can be present.

Once we have the date we're going to place it also on the Event page and
follow the normal guidelines for this.

Our goals with this FAD is to provide a self-assessment of the Project
Fedora in Portugal and it's contributors/user base.

I'm going to call-in a press release, so there might be journalists
present from national specialized and generic press to cover this event,
including a TV team from SIC Radical (http://sicradical.sapo.pt/) which
is very friendly towards this events and a channel directed to younger
people.

I would like to request the following on this list, specially from EMEA.

* I am not aware of Portuguese current Ambassadors; if there are none, I
would like to check for volunteers during the FAD, as it will become
important to have our own Ambassadors. Therefore, I would like to place
an invitation for EMEA so send in someone who can represent it if that
is possible.

* This event is to be reported to Ambassadors list, when the time comes,
can I contact someone to pass the word on the Ambassadors list? Gerold?
JSimon? Wonderer?

* I would like also to know if there are Ambassadors in Spain located in
Galicia. If so, I would kindly ask someone of EMEA to check availability
on them and address them an invitation as well. Galicia and Portugal are
very close in Language, culture and History. We would like for sure to
work closer to them.

* I would like to place a formal request, and this would be awesome to
be discussed during the FAD, once more it could be relevant to have
someone from EMEA present, so that future Portuguese Ambassadors could
be tutored by EMEA Ambassadors.

* I never got to know how Ambassadors do work, but I would like to let
everyone know that during this FAD we are taking the Ambassadorial work
as very serious thing, and probably as the main critical factor of
success in establishing a community in Portugal, and more important keep
it alive, which is the hard part. So If there is present a Ambassador
from Fedora EMEA, I would request a small presentation about
bidirectional communication. Something in the line of:

Ambassadorial Work:

Represent Fedora before the Community | Represent the Community before
Fedora.

I would recon this would only work if such connections are established
and work in a bidirectional way.

* I would like to remember EMEA, that Portugal leads the PALOP's
organization (Official Portuguese Speaking Countries in Africa). We are
they key for a good part of Africa, and all of them speak and signed all
the Portuguese treaties. The Portuguese teached in Africa is the same
teached in Portugal. This could be relevant, as Africa is a part of
EMEA, and projects like OLPC can be more effective by having a strong
Portuguese presence in the Project.

Once I have feedback from the current Portuguese team, a date will be
set and everyone will be informed in a formal way. I would though
request someone from EMEA to pass on a future email to the Ambassadors
list.

This are some concerns, I would also like to place a request not to
troll this thread, as it's something constructive for the benefit of
all.

Nelson.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:45 PM
Robyn Bergeron

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 9:11 AM, Nelson Marques <07721@ipam.pt> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Something came up the other day in the trans_PT lists and I'm pushing a
> FAD in Portugal forward.
>
> Some minor details are to be found here:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PtFAD
>
> Currently there is no date assigned because our national community is so
> small that we're trying to select a date where everyone can be present.
>
> Once we have the date we're going to place it also on the Event page and
> follow the normal guidelines for this.
>
> Our goals with this FAD is to provide a self-assessment of the Project
> Fedora in Portugal and it's contributors/user base.

I think this is a good idea; I'd just like to point out, from at least
my own personal experience, that it will be helpful for you to add
more specific deliverables to your agenda, rather than a general
"self-assessment." Even if those deliverables look something like:

* Hour 1-2: Define the specific items we are going to assess
* Hours 3-6: Wiki each of these items with detail on where each of
these specific criteria currently fall on a success scale

etc. Whatever seems logical. It's too easy to spend an entire day
thinking about a giant document of self-assessment and then not
getting anything accomplished. If you break it up into individual
pieces - and by time - I think you are more likely to produce results.

IMO - The most important thing here to think about is - what are you
going to do with the information you get from self-assessment? I would
recommend that you add some time into the schedule for the following:

* Where are you now (which is the self-assessment)
* Where do you want to be (and what are the criteria for success there)
* What are your steps and milestones to get from where you are now -
to where you want to be in the future
* How are you planning on checking / updating the status of your progress

> I'm going to call-in a press release, so there might be journalists
> present from national specialized and generic press to cover this event,
> including a TV team from SIC Radical (http://sicradical.sapo.pt/) which
> is very friendly towards this events and a channel directed to younger
> people.

How are you planning on using this press time exactly?

Old 05-06-2010, 05:27 PM
Nelson Marques

On Thu, 2010-05-06 at 09:45 -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
> On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 9:11 AM, Nelson Marques <07721@ipam.pt> wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > Something came up the other day in the trans_PT lists and I'm pushing a
> > FAD in Portugal forward.
> >
> > Some minor details are to be found here:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PtFAD
> >
> > Currently there is no date assigned because our national community is so
> > small that we're trying to select a date where everyone can be present.
> >
> > Once we have the date we're going to place it also on the Event page and
> > follow the normal guidelines for this.
> >
> > Our goals with this FAD is to provide a self-assessment of the Project
> > Fedora in Portugal and it's contributors/user base.
>
> I think this is a good idea; I'd just like to point out, from at least
> my own personal experience, that it will be helpful for you to add
> more specific deliverables to your agenda, rather than a general
> "self-assessment." Even if those deliverables look something like:

Robyn,

If I was aware of the current problems of the community, I could for
sure be more specific. But I am not, so I need to understand the
problems for a later plan to fix them and eventually fill in the gaps.

There is so much to cover, that a single day will not be enough. This is
a first approach to try and understand everything around us (portuguese
contributors). So that later we can segment the information and deal
with it accordingly.

Segmenting the information now, will probably do far worst than good.
Most of it will be around translations, as it will be our "trojan horse"
to start officializing the community.

> * Hour 1-2: Define the specific items we are going to assess
> * Hours 3-6: Wiki each of these items with detail on where each of
> these specific criteria currently fall on a success scale
>
> etc. Whatever seems logical. It's too easy to spend an entire day
> thinking about a giant document of self-assessment and then not
> getting anything accomplished. If you break it up into individual
> pieces - and by time - I think you are more likely to produce results.

This is good and we will split it into schedule later on, but this is
being treated in another list and it's just like a "heads-up".

> IMO - The most important thing here to think about is - what are you
> going to do with the information you get from self-assessment? I would
> recommend that you add some time into the schedule for the following:
>
> * Where are you now (which is the self-assessment)
> * Where do you want to be (and what are the criteria for success there)
> * What are your steps and milestones to get from where you are now -
> to where you want to be in the future
> * How are you planning on checking / updating the status of your progress

Everything will be placed on the wiki and treated after. It would not be
realistic to identify the problems and plan in such few time, specially
when there is no bound between us at the moment.

After the event we should have accomplished at least this:

* Number of contributors in Volume and Valor.
* Areas where we are present.
* Problems that lead people away or why they don't join.
* Portuguese Language availability and its importance.
* We have to get 1 or 2 volunteers for Ambassadors, this is a must, else
we will be heavily crippled since the very start. We need EMEA present
if possible to help on this.

This has to be done and wiki'ed for everyone to see.

>From this point on, we should be able to present an answer for at least
the following:

* How we can interact with ourselfs across the project (imagine for
example a fedora-portugal@lists.fedoraproject.org). Since we are so few,
this is something that can make all the difference and provide us a way
to keep people mobilized and help newcomers around. I recognize one of
the problems is having people to mentor/tutor newcomers, and the wiki
page referal for information, doesn't help. So if we have the
opportunity, we will try to tutor and help people starting with. Like a
launching ramp. The would integrate with Fedora International Community
through an already established Portuguese community that would be more
user friendly with providing info and helping in a more less formal way,
without overloading other teams which are on full production process.

* We have for sure to make sure that pt_PT is properly defined for the
Portuguese audience. We don't want to neutralize other contributions,
but if pt_PT will follow the standardized rules used by Portugal. This
will be a benefict for everyone, because it's a large open door for
example Angola, which is one of the most growing economies in the World,
and will enable projects like OLPC in a more effective way, plus
providing more tools to EMEA and establish new bridges.

* Through me, possible gather more Marketing contributors, that together
with the trans_PT can provide more contents in PT.

* We should be able also to redifine how to approach other FOSS entities
in Portugal and make Fedora representation more visible.

I would consider this to be something "doable". Some right out of the
FAD, other things by processing information on the FAD. I expect to wiki
a lot on that day.

> > I'm going to call-in a press release, so there might be journalists
> > present from national specialized and generic press to cover this event,
> > including a TV team from SIC Radical (http://sicradical.sapo.pt/) which
> > is very friendly towards this events and a channel directed to younger
> > people.
>
> How are you planning on using this press time exactly?

This is a very important thing. First we need to mobilize organizations
like ANSOL, they love the press, the press loves them. Given the fact
that we're going to work around pt_PT, this is a point of interest for
everyone.

Mobilizing the press. I have some personal contacts I can explore, on a
local basis, I would give them as granted. This is something that
happens in a city which leads world technology in some fields, specially
telecommunications. So we have a link with the city and we do fit well
there.

At national press, I do have some contacts and can for sure get some
people there, not sure if they we will have material to go over
editorial battles. But there is the possibility of references. Being
ANSOL involved and given the importance of pt_PT goals. There is
material.

Television - Sic Radical aims for younger generations, for national
projects of all levels. Technology is something they like, and in the
past they were present at events like LAN Parties, etc. Given that we
are doing some heavy ice-breaking work here. I believe I can get their
attention. Besides, making this event on IPAM and using it's name, will
for sure pay off. I would recon that pt_PT will be attractive enough for
them.

For the press release itself, I will work on it with people from my
school to get something more professional. In fact, within 1 hour or so,
I will be collecting help.

I will run everything before in this list.

> > I would like to request the following on this list, specially from EMEA.
> >
> > * I am not aware of Portuguese current Ambassadors; if there are none, I
> > would like to check for volunteers during the FAD, as it will become
> > important to have our own Ambassadors. Therefore, I would like to place
> > an invitation for EMEA so send in someone who can represent it if that
> > is possible.
> >
> > * This event is to be reported to Ambassadors list, when the time comes,
> > can I contact someone to pass the word on the Ambassadors list? Gerold?
> > JSimon? Wonderer?
> >
> > * I would like also to know if there are Ambassadors in Spain located in
> > Galicia. If so, I would kindly ask someone of EMEA to check availability
> > on them and address them an invitation as well. Galicia and Portugal are
> > very close in Language, culture and History. We would like for sure to
> > work closer to them.
> >
> > * I would like to place a formal request, and this would be awesome to
> > be discussed during the FAD, once more it could be relevant to have
> > someone from EMEA present, so that future Portuguese Ambassadors could
> > be tutored by EMEA Ambassadors.
> >
> > * I never got to know how Ambassadors do work, but I would like to let
> > everyone know that during this FAD we are taking the Ambassadorial work
> > as very serious thing, and probably as the main critical factor of
> > success in establishing a community in Portugal, and more important keep
> > it alive, which is the hard part. So If there is present a Ambassador
> > from Fedora EMEA, I would request a small presentation about
> > bidirectional communication. Something in the line of:
> >
> > Ambassadorial Work:
> >
> > Represent Fedora before the Community | Represent the Community before
> > Fedora.
> >
> > I would recon this would only work if such connections are established
> > and work in a bidirectional way.
> >
> > * I would like to remember EMEA, that Portugal leads the PALOP's
> > organization (Official Portuguese Speaking Countries in Africa). We are
> > they key for a good part of Africa, and all of them speak and signed all
> > the Portuguese treaties. The Portuguese teached in Africa is the same
> > teached in Portugal. This could be relevant, as Africa is a part of
> > EMEA, and projects like OLPC can be more effective by having a strong
> > Portuguese presence in the Project.
> >

> > Once I have feedback from the current Portuguese team, a date will be
> > set and everyone will be informed in a formal way. I would though
> > request someone from EMEA to pass on a future email to the Ambassadors
> > list.
> >
> > This are some concerns, I would also like to place a request not to
> > troll this thread, as it's something constructive for the benefit of
> > all.
> >
> > Nelson.
> >

> > --

Nelson Marques
Evil Clown (http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/evilclown.htm)

Old 05-06-2010, 05:50 PM
Robyn Bergeron

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Nelson Marques <07721@ipam.pt> wrote:
> [...]
> people there, not sure if they we will have material to go over
> editorial battles. But there is the possibility of references. Being
> ANSOL involved and given the importance of pt_PT goals. There is
> material.
>
> Television - Sic Radical aims for younger generations, for national
> projects of all levels. Technology is something they like, and in the
> past they were present at events like LAN Parties, etc. Given that we
> are doing some heavy ice-breaking work here. I believe I can get their
> attention. Besides, making this event on IPAM and using it's name, will
> for sure pay off. I would recon that pt_PT will be attractive enough for
> them.
>
> For the press release itself, I will work on it with people from my
> school to get something more professional. In fact, within 1 hour or so,

Let me be a little more precise here: What exactly will you be doing
while, for instance, people from a television crew are taping you?

How are you going to make this to be a Fedora Activity Day - where you
are getting things accomplished - vs. a Press Event where people are
coming to do interviews? Or is your plan to just interact with these
entities to discuss future plans for publicity?

Old 05-08-2010, 04:08 PM
Nelson Marques

Robyn,

I've placed probably too much information and in a confusing way, let me
take a more clean and objective approach regarding some points:

# media - events made in my University are always subject of a press
release to my university's normal channels. We usually promote around
180 events in average per year in many fields, from Marketing to local
Industry promotion (ex: Marketing workshops, IPAM Fashion, etc). So this
will trigger the possibility of having press visinting us, and we should
be prepared.

From a personal point, I can make things more easy. In the past I've
worked for a company which is now part of GFI Group (France). During
those days we've worked closely with a company that provides SIC local
reporting teams. So yes, I do have a premier channel to call them in.
But this will only happen if there is something I want to share. Since
this is a kick-off for Portuguese Fedora Community, could be nice.

# EMEA - Why I asked EMEA to be present? Because I can't deliver a
passionate message about "becoming an Ambassador". During my several
calls on the community normal channels, none has been answered, so I'm
assuming we don't have active Ambassadors in Portugal, and the only one
who managed this call, as been turned down as Ambassador due to "not
enough work". Well, this is discussable as I'm not sure in what grounds
such statements were made. Having EMEA would provide a more friendly
approach in setting goals and would make things more transparent. My
wishes were that we could stimulate and gather 1 or 2 Ambassadors,
having EMEA to provide them with all the passionate experience of being
an ambassador and take a more friendly approach on them, as they will
become the ramp between Fedora enthusiasts in Portugal and Fedora
Project. This would be something worth for a TV to cover for instance
and press. How something is born. If such happened would be a boost in
Fedora notoriety in Portugal, as we would for sure be promoting one of
our Foundations, FIRST!.

# Workflow - Now a brief about what I pretend to accomplish, this comes
in 3 topics and though they can be extensive and could translate in
probably hundreds of work hours, they are worth it, and we need to start
at some point.

1. Ambassadors > I would like to see 1 or 2 Ambassadors coming out of
this event and having the goals very well defined. This would be the
premier interface in a bidirectional relation:

Fedora Project > Portuguese Fedora Community
Portuguese Fedora Community > Fedora Project

Like I stated before, I don't have the passionate speech to promote
Ambassadorial work. This would produce 1 Document with Goals and a
timeframe to get them accomplished. Medium term goals. Short term goals
are something I believe that from a strategical point of view are not to
be considered at this moment. Maybe within a couple of months/half year.

2. pt_PT. This is a very important field as we have the majority of our
contributors in this field (from my current knowledge). A self
assessment of the current status should be mandatory in this terms:

-- How many are we?
-- Current status of pt_PT workflow.
-- Possible interfaces to other pt_PT translation units (ex: GNOME,
KDE).

In this field, I would like to invite someone from ANSOL
(http://www.ansol.org) to be present which could at a higher level help
me in the future to establish contacts with the Academy in order to
provide documentation for Normalized and Standardized Portuguese.
Portuguese was called in past a "dialect", a dialect by definition in
Portugal is a derivation (a fork ?) of the normalized/standardized
language, which in our case is the Portuguese. I would like to provide
Fedora and everyone else a set of documentation by this.
I would like to get cooperation with ANSOL so that we can establish
contacts in order that ANSOL can provide a way to coordinate all
Portuguese translation teams with information and a eventually get the
cooperation of the Academy through a mailling list where our translators
and everyone else could clear doubts.
How does this relate to Fedora? Easy and awesome, FIRST once more. If
such happens, we can be proud to say that Fedora provides pt_PT
normalized accepted and working according to the normalized Portuguese.
This will be a key feature to projects like OLPC and others which might
get a very important and relevant role in some African countries. Don't
ignore we lead PALOP's (African Official Portuguese Speaking Countries).
Even in this situation (and those contries like Angola, the most
expanding economy in the world (2009), pt_PT will be important and we
can even provide support for their own translation teams).

From this, I would like to provide a document with clear goals. I am
willing to push this effort forward on behalf of Fedora. If such happens
there is a great chance that Fedora will be the one providing better
pt_PT integration (and through ANSOL, we can assure this integration by
coordinating efforts with other translation teams which are independent,
ex: GNOME).

This is awesome if it gets covered by the media, as this will provide
the world the goal that FOSS and Fedora care about providing good
contents and efforts at a localized level. This will help increase
Fedora notoriety in Portugal and hopefully bring more people to us.
Combined this with our prime engineering... the possibilities are
encouraging.

3. Current Portuguese Fedora contributors - In this field I would like
to discuss with the Portuguese contributors in which ways we can relate
our efforts to support each other. A bridge between Marketing and
Trans_PT will be very benefit to the Project, allowing a more powerful
deployment and a more targeted approach. Together we can stimulate more
people to join us, can support more projects and eventually if we have
manpower even get more stuff into Portuguese.
I would also like to check with the people present a new approach of
having our little group working as a launch ramp to Fedora for new
Portuguese contributors. I understand most teams don't have the time
available to do a more personal approach on new users. I would like to
gather everyone's expertise and try to provide a local solution for this
to new Portuguese contributors. Having the support of a local community
which can provide a more personal approach and help/guide them during
the first steps will provide a better integration and will strengthen
the union of our contributors on the project.

This has to be analyzed by everyone on the FAD in order for us to see
what we can do. Once more, EMEA could have a great role here.

Other considerations: We are few, but our few share a huge set of
characteristics with Spanish people at all levels: language (orthography
not for sure, but semantics and grammar), culture, ideology and
geographical positions. We also share one thing that is great, Spain at
some point has a huge community that speaks Spanish, and the Portuguese
has a huge community that speaks Portuguese. I would like to see that we
could work together in the future.

This FAD is more strategical and less operational, but giving the
conditions that we are starting here something, I would consider this to
be mandatory.

For working, I'm thinking on using Gobby, therefore we can have a place
for remote attendies. I know there are some people from Azores and
Madeira that would like to join our efforts. Though they are not related
to Fedora in a direct way, they are GNOME contributors, and some of them
use Fedora. I met them in #fedora-pt. IRC is also an option for sharing
our thoughts with people. Though we're working on Portuguese, I would
like to keep IRC in english to we can extend this FAD to anyone willing
to join us on this effort.

Back into the media: If ANSOL is present, their distribution channels
bring people and provide interest. If we can accomplish those spoken
above, this will be important path breaking and will promote all the
Fedora Foundations.

Freedom > Freedom to share and carve our own destiny within Fedora (no,
this is not to be faced as separatist move, on the contrary, a union of
Portuguese with International community).

First > we will be exploring a set of possibilities that later on can
be followed by many.

Features > we will providing new featured approach into the project in
a localized way. Like a start ramp to people who want to get involved in
Portugal.

Friends > no need to explain.

I believe that this is objective and something we can achieve, and that
my requests for EMEA to be present is valid, as the investment from
Fedora.

If this happens and is well accepted, it means one thing: we need to
have a system where others can pick up and replace people when needed
and keep the community in motion, else it will fade and disappear. My
personal approach on this could be the one of "blitzkrieg", swift and
hard towards (no political meaning).

I hope this is more enlightening. If EMEA isnt showing up or ANSOL not
showing up, we can still accomplish the majority and try to stimulate
Ambassadors, but if that is that is what will happen, I am hopping that
EMEA understands the importance of this steps as the start of a
community inside of a international community and gives the correct
relevance and efforts on this.

We are only counting on things we can do by ourselfs and that we have
time for it and at no point we will deploy extra load on existing fedora
teams, this is a very simple goal.

I understand that inter-continental stuff is expensive but I would like
to leave an invitation to anyone who would like to be present. Like I
said we are few, but it always starts with a group of few dedicated
people.

As for segmenting the time, yes, but on the correct time, not now where
everything is still opened and vague.

nelson.

Old 05-08-2010, 04:41 PM
wonderer

Hy Nelson,

you probably would make a good politician, but no good community member.
Would you please answer Robyns questions before you let tons of text
here?! Thanks.
How many events did you organize so far?

mit freundlichen Grüßen / best regards
Henrik Heigl - wonderer@fedoraproject.org

PGP/GnuPG: 8237 D432 0616 D567 DBC6 3FE3 0D52 B374 F468 A5F0

Old 05-08-2010, 05:30 PM
Joerg Simon

Hi Nelson,

Am 08.05.2010 18:08, schrieb Nelson Marques:
> During my several
> calls on the community normal channels, none has been answered, so I'm
> assuming we don't have active Ambassadors in Portugal,

we have 3 Ambassadors listed on our Verification Page for Portugal - if
not already contacted by you, maybe we can encourage them to become more
active

<https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/MembershipService/Verification#Portugal_.283.29>

> and the only one
> who managed this call, as been turned down as Ambassador due to "not
> enough work". Well, this is discussable as I'm not sure in what grounds
> such statements were made.

I think the mentioned Candidate should reapply and try it again, if he
is still interested to be an Ambassador.

We had a clean up last year in Ambassadors,
where we removed Ambassador-group-membership for every Account who had a
expired Password and were market inactive and not loggedin/commited
something for a timeperiod of 8 month.

<http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=fama.git;a=blob_plain;f=stats/ambassadors.png>

The other case could be, that this person was not sponsored into the
Ambassadors Group because his mentor rejected his request, because the
candidate was not ready or skilled enough to represent Fedora as a
official Ambassador at this time. In this case the Candidate is free to
reapply at any time and we also have a dispute resoltion process if the
candidate thinks the Mentor is wrong.
<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/dispute_resolution>

I support the idea of an FAD in Portugal. Parameter like the schedule
and venue are local condition that a local contributor knows best. At
any time we can put it on the EMEA Ambassadors Meeting Agenda to help
planing or make it more concrete.

cu Joerg
--
Joerg (kital) Simon