-   -   Suggestions for the install process (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-marketing/363691-suggestions-install-process.html)

Sahar Arbab 04-29-2010 03:32 PM

Suggestions for the install process

Hello. Since Matt and I worked with the install process we thought that we could suggets ways to help in areas we found problems...

Â*
For those who are computer challenged…..
-The first few screens should talk about Fedora (what it is and who it would benefit), because the only time we really get an idea is at the end.

- Cheat Sheet or manual on the install process or even an overall one on the operating system. We realize it may be hard to include all these ideas throughout the install process so a cheat sheet could fill in here.

-Specify between the two types of available installs

-Specify the differences between i386 and x86_64 on http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora-all

-Throughout the install process recommend certain routes people should take with certain computers or for depending on how much they want to use fedora.

Hope these ideas may be able to help out a little,

Matt Bocchi and Sahar Arbab

Tareq Al Jurf 04-29-2010 05:36 PM

Suggestions for the install process

I was going to post this idea to the list today!!
I think because the install process won't take that long, so i thought that it might be better if we explained the basics of using fedora. How are programs installed , what's a repo, what's a desktop environment ... etc

[...]

Tareq Al Jurf
Fedora Ambassador

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
taljurf@fedoraproject.org

Tareq Al Jurf 04-29-2010 09:51 PM

Suggestions for the install process

I've even made a fast mockup to help understand the idea
http://taljurf.fedorapeople.org/Scratch/fedora%20installation.jpg

Regards

--
Tareq Al Jurf
Fedora Ambassador

threethirty 04-30-2010 01:48 PM

On Fri, 2010-04-30 at 00:51 +0300, Tareq Al Jurf wrote:
> I've even made a fast mockup to help understand the idea
> http://taljurf.fedorapeople.org/Scratch/fedora%20installation.jpg
>
> Regards
>
> On 29 April 2010 20:36, Tareq Al Jurf <taljurf@fedoraproject.org>
> wrote:
> I was going to post this idea to the list today!!
> I think because the install process won't take that long, so i
> thought that it might be better if we explained the basics of
> using fedora. How are programs installed , what's a repo,
> what's a desktop environment ... etc
>

> On 29 April 2010 18:32, Sahar Arbab <arbabs@allegheny.edu>
> wrote:
>

> Hello. Since Matt and I worked with the install
> process we thought that we could suggets ways to help
> in areas we found problems...
>
> For those who are computer challenged…..
> -The first few screens should talk about Fedora (what
> it is and who it would benefit), because the only time
> we really get an idea is at the end.
>
> - Cheat Sheet or manual on the install process or even
> an overall one on the operating system. We realize it
> may be hard to include all these ideas throughout the
> install process so a cheat sheet could fill in here.
>
> -Specify between the two types of available installs
>
> -Specify the differences between i386 and x86_64 on
> http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora-all
>
> -Throughout the install process recommend certain
> routes people should take with certain computers or
> for depending on how much they want to use fedora.
>
> Hope these ideas may be able to help out a little,
>
> Matt Bocchi and Sahar Arbab

> Tareq Al Jurf
> Fedora Ambassador
> Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
> taljurf@fedoraproject.org
>

> --
> Tareq Al Jurf
> Fedora Ambassador
> Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
> taljurf@fedoraproject.org

This is a great idea but I think that if people are going through the
install process they are already kinda sold on the idea and there are
other places we can present it (maybe a .pdf on the desktop that is a
quick start guide) Could we use this idea to advertise areas where
people could contribute? We could take say Marketing, Ambassadors, Docs,
Design, and $somethingElseNontechnical and have section proclaiming that
you don't have to be a programmer to contribute to Fedora.