Old 04-21-2010, 06:43 PM
Jonathan Nalley

Default "Fedora 13 Beta: The Seen and (Troubling) Unseen"

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3877446/

Also partially seen and re-titled here:
http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/7046/1/

Old 04-21-2010, 07:12 PM
Ryan Rix

On Wed 21 April 2010 11:43:04 am Jonathan Nalley wrote:
> http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3877446/
>
> Also partially seen and re-titled here:
> http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/7046/1/

"" The download page promises that CD images will be available for the final
release, although the release notes with the beta suggest that the live CD
will be replaced by a live USB image instead. ""

Is there any way docs can clean that up to be a little clearer? I myself am
not 100% of the current state of things, and that would probably be beneficial
to everyone involved.

--
Ryan Rix

Old 04-21-2010, 07:17 PM
Ricky Zhou

On 2010-04-21 02:43:04 PM, Jonathan Nalley wrote:
> http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3877446/
>
> Also partially seen and re-titled here:
> http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/7046/1/
Some comments:

> Tentative plans are already being made to phase out complete .ISO
> downloads in favor of BFO.
I'd check with Mike McGrath about this, but I have heard of no such
plans.

> ... but Fedora is doing users a disservice by not specifying
> immediately that the app is backing up files to Amazon S3.
*snip*
> However, if Fedora 13 is remembered for anything, it may be for the
> same reason that its rival, Ubuntu's Lucid Lynx is remembered -- as
> the release in which commercialization became embedded in the free
> desktop.
This is really starting to twist things. Déjà Dup is nothing more than
a graphical frontend to Duplicity which happens to have a menu option
supporting Amazon S3 (along with options for backing up over SSH or to
another local directory). Duplicity supports S3 itself, and has been in
Fedora for a while now.

Zarafa, on the other hand, is just some open source groupware software
that happens to be developed by a company.

Does anybody with some time want to do some extra research into some of
this and send a comment to the author?

Thanks,
Ricky

Old 04-21-2010, 07:30 PM
Ricky Zhou

On 2010-04-21 12:12:15 PM, Ryan Rix wrote:
> On Wed 21 April 2010 11:43:04 am Jonathan Nalley wrote:
> > http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3877446/
> >
> > Also partially seen and re-titled here:
> > http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/7046/1/
>
> "" The download page promises that CD images will be available for the final
> release, although the release notes with the beta suggest that the live CD
> will be replaced by a live USB image instead. ""
>
> Is there any way docs can clean that up to be a little clearer? I myself am
> not 100% of the current state of things, and that would probably be beneficial
> to everyone involved.
I think he's referring to the text on this page:
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f13/en-US/html/sect-Release_Notes-Fedora_Live_Images.html
(it wasn't that easy to get to that URL - I wonder if we could get a
table of contents at http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f13/en-US/html/)

I'm pretty sure that the information at
http://fedoraproject.org/get-prerelease about fitting on a CD for
release is accurate, it came from this ticket and was discussed during
the release readiness meeting:
https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-websites/ticket/21

Thanks,
Ricky

Old 04-22-2010, 08:33 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 03:17:00PM -0400, Ricky Zhou wrote:
> On 2010-04-21 02:43:04 PM, Jonathan Nalley wrote:
> > http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3877446/
> >
> > Also partially seen and re-titled here:
> > http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/7046/1/
> Some comments:
>
> > Tentative plans are already being made to phase out complete .ISO
> > downloads in favor of BFO.
> I'd check with Mike McGrath about this, but I have heard of no such
> plans.
>
> > ... but Fedora is doing users a disservice by not specifying
> > immediately that the app is backing up files to Amazon S3.
> *snip*
> > However, if Fedora 13 is remembered for anything, it may be for the
> > same reason that its rival, Ubuntu's Lucid Lynx is remembered -- as
> > the release in which commercialization became embedded in the free
> > desktop.
> This is really starting to twist things. Déjà Dup is nothing more than
> a graphical frontend to Duplicity which happens to have a menu option
> supporting Amazon S3 (along with options for backing up over SSH or to
> another local directory). Duplicity supports S3 itself, and has been in
> Fedora for a while now.
>
> Zarafa, on the other hand, is just some open source groupware software
> that happens to be developed by a company.
>
> Does anybody with some time want to do some extra research into some of
> this and send a comment to the author?

A bunch of us already did this; thanks to everyone who pitched in
cordially and without flaming. :-)

Also, interestingly Joe Brockmeier posted this rebuttal, which shows
the other side of the coin:

http://ostatic.com/blog/linux-shedding-indie-status-is-a-good-thing