Old 04-16-2010, 10:54 PM
Nelson Marques

Default Small question regardin Fedora

A small question, when talking about Fedora, we should use it as male
or female? In portuguese there is no genitive or "it", nouns always have
gender, either male or female.

One strange example is kernel, where it is refered often as male and
other times as female 8)

Anyway, this probably is more in the field of translation teams, but do
we have anything set for this kind of situations ?

nelson.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:10 AM
Marian Holovatskyy

*A small question, when talking about Fedora, we should use it as male

or female? In portuguese there is no genitive or "it", nouns always have

gender, either male or female.

*One strange example is kernel, where it is refered often as male and

other times as female 8)

*Anyway, this probably is more in the field of translation teams, but do

we have anything set for this kind of situations ?

*nelson.

In Ukrainian Fedora itself is 'she'. But if you say Fedora Linux, it's 'he', as Linux is male .
--
Best regards.
Marian Holovatskyy

newmedea@gmail.com
+380937235051

Old 04-17-2010, 11:58 AM
Pierros Papadeas

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 1:54 AM, Nelson Marques <07721@ipam.pt> wrote:

> Â*A small question, when talking about Fedora, we should use it as male
> or female? In portuguese there is no genitive or "it", nouns always have
> gender, either male or female.
>
> Â*One strange example is kernel, where it is refered often as male and
> other times as female 8)
>
> Â*Anyway, this probably is more in the field of translation teams, but do
> we have anything set for this kind of situations ?

That's an interesting question Nelson...

I suppose that every language has it's own way when referring to
Fedora and Fedora Linux. (In Greek Fedora could be an "it" or "she", i
prefer "she" :P )

In order to bypass any conflicts and misunderstandings I would suggest
using universally the "it" when referring to Fedora.

~Ï€

--
Pierros Papadeas
PGP key: 0x6130DBF8

Old 04-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Mario Torre

Il giorno sab, 17/04/2010 alle 14.58 +0300, Pierros Papadeas ha scritto:
> rder to bypass any conflicts and misunderstandings I would suggest
> using universally the "it" when referring to Fedora.

We lost "it" in Italian

Mario

--
pgp key: http://subkeys.pgp.net/

Proud GNU Classpath developer: http://www.classpath.org/
Read About us at: http://planet.classpath.org
OpenJDK: http://openjdk.java.net/projects/caciocavallo/

Please, support open standards:
http://endsoftpatents.org/

Old 04-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Mario Torre

Il giorno sab, 17/04/2010 alle 02.10 -0400, Marian Holovatskyy ha
scritto:

> On 16 April 2010 18:54, Nelson Marques <07721@ipam.pt> wrote:
>
> A small question, when talking about Fedora, we should use it
> as male
> or female? In portuguese there is no genitive or "it", nouns
> always have
> gender, either male or female.
>
> One strange example is kernel, where it is refered often as
> male and
> other times as female 8)
>
> Anyway, this probably is more in the field of translation
> teams, but do
> we have anything set for this kind of situations ?
>
> nelson.

In Italian, Fedora is "una distribuzione Linux". That is, female.

But we don't say "she" because it's a thing, it would be not
appropriate, we would say "that" (essa), but in fact we simply omit the
pronoun, for example, translating "you remember the name of that Linux
distribution... It was so cool..." would be:

"Ti ricordi il nome di quella distribuzione Linux... Era
fantastica..." [1]

You would end up talking funny if you say "essa" here.

In Portugues it would be something similar I guess because similar are
the rules for the pronoun so something like:

"Você se lembra o nome da distribuição Linux... era tão legal..."

Cheers,
Mario

[1] actually, cool would be translated is so different ways, but you
would end up talking funny anyway

Old 04-17-2010, 03:57 PM
"Neville A. Cross"

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 6:30 AM, Mario Torre <neugens@limasoftware.net> wrote:
<snip>

> [1] actually, cool would be translated is so different ways, but you
> would end up talking funny anyway

In Spanish we have the same problem... almost all names have gender in
Spanish. So the article "it" splits in female and male articles. The
few that are non gender specific you can go either way. People will
look you funny when you use female in areas where they use male
articles for those non gender specific. I can only recall at this
moment: agua (water), mar (sea).

I always use Fedora coupled with a category like community,
distribution, project and the alike. As those have very specific
gender, I took that gender for the articles.

--
Neville
Linux User # 473217

Old 04-17-2010, 05:01 PM
Nelson Marques

Thanks all for the nice input of this. This is mainly because for the
last 12 years I used "a kernel" (female) and while I use "o chapéu (the
hat, male), I often use "a Fedora" (fedora, female). It sounds very
weird in male. But I was not sure how most people handle/share this
situations.

Neville: Portuguese and Spanish are probably more close than Portuguese
(pt_PT) and (pt_BR). I can see this because in pt_PT scientific
production is very rare in some areas like Marketing and everyone
usually goes for English or Spanish production and not Brazilian (which
is actually very rich, but misleading in most cases due to weird words).

Example:

Escopro (pt_PT): Mason tool to carve stone.
Escopro (pt_BR): "in the scope of"

That and thousands more kill our minds everyday.

Anyway, thanks all for the valuable input. I'm going to keep in
Portuguese as "a Fedora" (female), as it also fits well since community
is female. Good idea.

Thank all.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:37 PM
Tareq Al Jurf

We don't have this problem in Arabic, although each word has a gender.
For example when talking about fedora, we use it as a male since the arabic word for operating system is male.
While when talking about redhat, we use it as a female, since companies are used as females when talking.

Thanks all for the nice input of this. This is mainly because for the

last 12 years I used "a kernel" (female) and while I use "o chapéu (the

hat, male), I often use "a Fedora" (fedora, female). It sounds very

weird in male. But I was not sure how most people handle/share this

situations.

Neville: Portuguese and Spanish are probably more close than Portuguese

(pt_PT) and (pt_BR). I can see this because in pt_PT scientific

production is very rare in some areas like Marketing and everyone

usually goes for English or Spanish production and not Brazilian (which

is actually very rich, but misleading in most cases due to weird words).

Example:

Escopro (pt_PT): Mason tool to carve stone.

Escopro (pt_BR): "in the scope of"

That and thousands more kill our minds everyday.

Anyway, thanks all for the valuable input. I'm going to keep in

Portuguese as "a Fedora" (female), as it also fits well since community

is female. Good idea.

Thank all.

On Fri, 2010-04-16 at 23:54 +0100, Nelson Marques wrote:

> A small question, when talking about Fedora, we should use it as male

> or female? In portuguese there is no genitive or "it", nouns always have

> gender, either male or female.

> *One strange example is kernel, where it is refered often as male and

> other times as female 8)

> *Anyway, this probably is more in the field of translation teams, but do

> we have anything set for this kind of situations ?

> *nelson.

Tareq Al Jurf

Fedora Ambassador
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia