Old 04-16-2010, 01:35 PM
Nelson Marques

Default Feature Profiles in Fedora 13 - SELinux

Good people,

As I'm ending my Feature Profile on NetworkManager, and I volunteered
for another Feature Profile, I've got suggestions from Mel... One of the
spins or Zafara. The first sounds nice, but I'd rather focus on
something else. The second, well, I am not on it's status on Fedora 13.
Since we're running for Fedora 13 release, and I've spoken countless
times about SELinux, despite of it's complexity (some say simplicity),
I've decided to take the road of pain.

My personal crusade: SELinux in Fedora 13.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SELinux_in_Fedora_13

Be mindful that this will probably take some time. But I'm placing my
efforts into it. I already have some nice information on my mailbox from
my SWOT research, will need to take a more closer approach. There's also
a great presentation about this technology, I'm going to contact the
author asking if he allows me to use is base for my work. This
presentation is like "SELinux for dummies".

I will follow the same approach as I did for NetworkManager, and it
should be turn out into something like this:

1. SELinux
1.1 - Technology
1.2 - Howto
1.3 - SELinux in Fedora 13
2. Interview with the crew
2.1 - Interview #1
2.2 - Interview #2
3. Interview Possibility - out of scope
3.1 - Interview #1 > Sysadmin / Security Analyst
3.2 - Interview #2 > Security Analyst / BOFH
4. Biography's

No screenshot planned. This should be done by release time with some
luck. What are the times to have this stuff done ?

nelson

Old 04-16-2010, 08:26 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 02:35:11PM +0100, Nelson Marques wrote:

> Good people,
>
> As I'm ending my Feature Profile on NetworkManager, and I volunteered
> for another Feature Profile, I've got suggestions from Mel... One of the
> spins or Zafara. The first sounds nice, but I'd rather focus on
> something else. The second, well, I am not on it's status on Fedora 13.
> Since we're running for Fedora 13 release, and I've spoken countless
> times about SELinux, despite of it's complexity (some say simplicity),
> I've decided to take the road of pain.
>
> My personal crusade: SELinux in Fedora 13.
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SELinux_in_Fedora_13
>

> Be mindful that this will probably take some time. But I'm placing my
> efforts into it. I already have some nice information on my mailbox from
> my SWOT research, will need to take a more closer approach. There's also
> a great presentation about this technology, I'm going to contact the
> author asking if he allows me to use is base for my work. This
> presentation is like "SELinux for dummies".
>
> I will follow the same approach as I did for NetworkManager, and it
> should be turn out into something like this:
>
> 1. SELinux
> 1.1 - Technology
> 1.2 - Howto
> 1.3 - SELinux in Fedora 13
> 2. Interview with the crew
> 2.1 - Interview #1
> 2.2 - Interview #2
> 3. Interview Possibility - out of scope
> 3.1 - Interview #1 > Sysadmin / Security Analyst
> 3.2 - Interview #2 > Security Analyst / BOFH
> 4. Biography's
>
> No screenshot planned. This should be done by release time with some
> luck. What are the times to have this stuff done ?

It might be worth having this content as something we push out after
release. I don't want to stop anyone from going as fast as they want,
of course! But having some content to fall back on in the few weeks
after release would be great too.

I'd also encourage you to present any findings you have to the Docs
team since they maintain an SELinux Guide. If you find people are
having trouble with a specific topic, maybe more coverage in that
guide would be called for. Alternatively, if we find there *is* good
coverage in the SELinux Guide, maybe we can use the article around
SELinux as a way of *advertising* that Guide better!

Old 04-16-2010, 09:25 PM
Nelson Marques

On Fri, 2010-04-16 at 16:26 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 02:35:11PM +0100, Nelson Marques wrote:
> >
> > Good people,
> >
> > As I'm ending my Feature Profile on NetworkManager, and I volunteered
> > for another Feature Profile, I've got suggestions from Mel... One of the
> > spins or Zafara. The first sounds nice, but I'd rather focus on
> > something else. The second, well, I am not on it's status on Fedora 13.
> > Since we're running for Fedora 13 release, and I've spoken countless
> > times about SELinux, despite of it's complexity (some say simplicity),
> > I've decided to take the road of pain.
> >
> > My personal crusade: SELinux in Fedora 13.
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SELinux_in_Fedora_13
> >

> > Be mindful that this will probably take some time. But I'm placing my
> > efforts into it. I already have some nice information on my mailbox from
> > my SWOT research, will need to take a more closer approach. There's also
> > a great presentation about this technology, I'm going to contact the
> > author asking if he allows me to use is base for my work. This
> > presentation is like "SELinux for dummies".
> >
> > I will follow the same approach as I did for NetworkManager, and it
> > should be turn out into something like this:
> >
> > 1. SELinux
> > 1.1 - Technology
> > 1.2 - Howto
> > 1.3 - SELinux in Fedora 13
> > 2. Interview with the crew
> > 2.1 - Interview #1
> > 2.2 - Interview #2
> > 3. Interview Possibility - out of scope
> > 3.1 - Interview #1 > Sysadmin / Security Analyst
> > 3.2 - Interview #2 > Security Analyst / BOFH
> > 4. Biography's
> >
> > No screenshot planned. This should be done by release time with some
> > luck. What are the times to have this stuff done ?
>
> It might be worth having this content as something we push out after
> release. I don't want to stop anyone from going as fast as they want,
> of course! But having some content to fall back on in the few weeks
> after release would be great too.

OK, makes sense to me, also because this will be far more time consuming
than NetworkManager, due to the ammount of available information to
process and about the complexity of the subject.

> I'd also encourage you to present any findings you have to the Docs
> team since they maintain an SELinux Guide. If you find people are
> having trouble with a specific topic, maybe more coverage in that
> guide would be called for. Alternatively, if we find there *is* good
> coverage in the SELinux Guide, maybe we can use the article around
> SELinux as a way of *advertising* that Guide better!

Most of my findings were pointed by a fellow community member through
one of my blog posts (regarding SWOT) and are external links to NSA and
other organizations, thats why I haven't made it public. But I'll point
them out with what I have.

Paul, could you please point me over someone I can contact to hand over
the information on the docs team? I would avoid to join their list,
though eventually it might be of some interest for me also.

nelson

Old 04-18-2010, 02:38 PM
Paul Frields

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 5:25 PM, Nelson Marques <07721@ipam.pt> wrote:
> [...]
>

>> I'd also encourage you to present any findings you have to the Docs
>> team since they maintain an SELinux Guide. *If you find people are
>> having trouble with a specific topic, maybe more coverage in that
>> guide would be called for. *Alternatively, if we find there *is* good
>> coverage in the SELinux Guide, maybe we can use the article around
>> SELinux as a way of *advertising* that Guide better!
>
> Most of my findings were pointed by a fellow community member through
> one of my blog posts (regarding SWOT) and are external links to NSA and
> other organizations, thats why I haven't made it public. But I'll point
> them out with what I have.
>
> Paul, could you please point me over someone I can contact to hand over
> the information on the docs team? I would avoid to join their list,
> though eventually it might be of some interest for me also.

I believe Scott Radvan (sradvan@rh.c) is the maintainer of the SELinux Guide.

Paul