Old 04-13-2010, 08:15 PM
Adam Williamson

Default Register: Fedora tempts fate with Apollo 13 beta

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/13/fedora_13_beta/
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 04-13-2010, 08:35 PM
Adam Williamson

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/13/fedora_13_beta/

I've already submitted a comment correcting their misunderstanding when
it comes to graphics drivers
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 04-13-2010, 08:39 PM
Nelson Marques

The Register... something that people usually bash down easilly.

Good association with 13th. We gotta love the press. By the way, there
is a Beta already.

nelson

Old 04-14-2010, 02:45 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 09:39:19PM +0100, Nelson Marques wrote:
> The Register... something that people usually bash down easilly.
>
> Good association with 13th. We gotta love the press. By the way, there
> is a Beta already.

Let's refrain from bashing reporters or news venues on this list
please. While reporters sometimes get things wrong or put their own
spin on information we provide, having a healthy relationship with
them is mutually beneficial. That includes giving them helpful,
cordial corrections where it's called for.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:54 PM
"Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier"

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 10:45 AM, Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:
> Let's refrain from bashing reporters or news venues on this list
> please. *While reporters sometimes get things wrong or put their own
> spin on information we provide, having a healthy relationship with
> them is mutually beneficial.

It's also worth noting that reporters, by their nature, tend to read a
lot of lists. ;-) Bashing them on your marketing list may not be the
best way to get good press in the future.

Think of corrections like bug reports -- what type of attitude do you
want to see communicated from users and other developers when they
report a bug?

* "Hey, great program - but I ran into this problem..."
* "Damn developers, can't you ship anything that works? Once again, my
FooBar 2000 is locking up when I try to run Fedora 13 beta..."

--
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier <jzb@zonker.net>
about: http://www.dissociatedpress.net/about/

Old 04-14-2010, 07:21 PM
Ryan Rix

On Wed 14 April 2010 7:45:42 am Paul W. Frields wrote:
> Let's refrain from bashing reporters or news venues on this list
> please

I think that Nelson was trying to make that same point; "they usually get
bashed for the articles they write, but this was a good." sort of thing

--
Ryan Rix

Old 04-14-2010, 07:36 PM
Nelson Marques

Well, I haven't tried to bash anyone down, but The Register had some
strange news published in the past that later would be found
"misleading".

It's always nice to have press cover, personally I always believe that
it doesn't matter if they speak good or bad, the important is they
actually speak (at least means we're worth their time).

Anyway it's a good thing.

nelson

Old 04-15-2010, 02:33 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 10:54:27AM -0400, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 10:45 AM, Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Let's refrain from bashing reporters or news venues on this list
> > please. *While reporters sometimes get things wrong or put their own
> > spin on information we provide, having a healthy relationship with
> > them is mutually beneficial.
>
> It's also worth noting that reporters, by their nature, tend to read a
> lot of lists. ;-) Bashing them on your marketing list may not be the
> best way to get good press in the future.
>
> Think of corrections like bug reports -- what type of attitude do you
> want to see communicated from users and other developers when they
> report a bug?
>
> * "Hey, great program - but I ran into this problem..."
> * "Damn developers, can't you ship anything that works? Once again, my
> FooBar 2000 is locking up when I try to run Fedora 13 beta..."

Great input, Joe! Isn't it amazing how often the Golden Rule comes in
handy? :-) Whether you're a developer, a marketeer, or a reporter, we
all make mistakes from time to time.

Blogs, social networking tools, whatever -- these are all places where
Fedora contributors represent Fedora. They're public, archived, and
in fact could be part of what an employer or a peer will look at, when
they want to find out more about you and how you deal with others in a
personal or professional context.

Wrap a correction in a helpful and friendly tone, and you do yourself
and the project you represent a favor.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:29 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

Nelson and I talked on the list -- it's possible that I was confused
by his wording as a ESL speaker talking to a native English speaker.
If that happened, I worry it might have happened to others -- Joe for
instance (not to call him out unnecessarily).

So Nelson, if I misunderstood your point, I apologize! Hopefully my
points about maintaining a positive tone on the list, and also being
constructive in our responses to media reports, were still accurate
and useful.

Paul

Old 04-15-2010, 03:45 PM
Nelson Marques

You were not confused. It might the language and the fact that I usually
think in my main language and then type in another thing.

You also don't know me, but I'm usually a bit vertical and accutilant on
my speech, which doesn't help.

No need for apologies. All the input if processed accordingly and it
always points things we can improve.

As I said to Mel the other day on the IRC, our real friends are those
who point our flaws and usually say the things that are true and we most
times are not kin to ear; not those who always agree with you and backup
you up blindly. It's a good point Paul, something to look for and try to
improve. I'll commit to that.

My apologies to anyone on the list if I've sounded too harsh. I have
nothing against the media, neither the publication in case (just find it
misleading most of the times, but that's a personal opinion).

Peace,

nelson