Old 04-12-2010, 05:13 PM
Stephen Gallagher

Default SSSD publicity problem

Old 04-12-2010, 05:22 PM
Robyn Bergeron

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 10:13 AM, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@redhat.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out how to do a little PR around the SSSD (the
> System Security Services Daemon). I've been tracking mentions of it
> around the web with Google Alerts and in the last few weeks, there have
> been several dozen hits... all in the Ubuntu context -_-
>
> So I'm looking for advice on how to draw attention to the fact that this
> is a Fedora project. And moreover, works better on Fedora, since we have
> authconfig making setup a breeze.
>
> The SSSD is an advertised Feature for Fedora 13:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_13_Talking_Points#System_Security_Services_ Daemon_.28SSSD.29
>
> My main concern is that most of the chatter that Google Alerts has been
> picking up have been leading back to blogs written about the Ubuntu
> package of SSSD (which is an older version than what is available in
> Fedora and also has no UI for configuring it).
>
> I've written the occasional blog post about SSSD, but they don't seem to
> get picked up and reprinted in nearly as many places as the Ubuntu blogs
> do. I'd really like for us to find a way to clue people in that the SSSD
> is, first and foremost, a Fedora project.

Hi Stephen,

So - excellent timing, and we definitely appreciate the heads-up on
this, btw - we're in the middle of working on Feature Profiles for the
F13 release. It's basically an interview - we do them on irc, via
email, or in podcast form - where we talk to the developer(s) about a
specific feature, how it's used, how it was developed in the
community, etc.

To see some examples from F12, you can check them out here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F12_feature_profiles

Is this something you'd be interested in doing? Someone from the
marketing team can write up some interview questions and work with you
and/or Simo on getting out some good content, and we can definitely
highlight how it is first and foremost, as you said, a Fedora project.

-Robyn

Old 04-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Stephen Gallagher

Old 04-12-2010, 05:35 PM
Stephen John Smoogen

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@redhat.com> wrote:

Stephen J Smoogen.

-- Robert Browning

Old 04-12-2010, 05:35 PM
Robyn Bergeron

Old 04-12-2010, 05:36 PM
Robyn Bergeron

Old 04-12-2010, 05:46 PM
Stephen Gallagher

On 04/12/2010 01:35 PM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@redhat.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out how to do a little PR around the SSSD (the
> System Security Services Daemon). I've been tracking mentions of it
> around the web with Google Alerts and in the last few weeks, there have
> been several dozen hits... all in the Ubuntu context -_-
>
> So I'm looking for advice on how to draw attention to the fact that this
> is a Fedora project. And moreover, works better on Fedora, since we have
> authconfig making setup a breeze.
>
> The SSSD is an advertised Feature for Fedora 13:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_13_Talking_Points#System_Security_Services_ Daemon_.28SSSD.29
>
> My main concern is that most of the chatter that Google Alerts has been
> picking up have been leading back to blogs written about the Ubuntu
> package of SSSD (which is an older version than what is available in
> Fedora and also has no UI for configuring it).
>
>> Ok lets look at the following:

>> 1) What does it do?
We're targeting it as a replacement for nss_ldap, pam_ldap and pam_krb5.
The main idea is that it handles cached authentication. It's target is
mainly for larger Fedora deployments that use centralized
authentication. Within this group, there are two main use-cases we're
targeting:
1) Laptop users. With the SSSD, there's no longer a need to maintain a
separate local user account. You will be able to sign in with your
centrally-managed account even when not connected to the LDAP/Kerberos
server. The SSSD caches credentials so that if the server is
unavailable, the user can still gain access to their local machine.
2) Datacenter servers that rely on LDAP and/or Kerberos for
authentication will be able to survive authentication outages.

>> 2) How does it work?
Quite well, thank you

>> 3) Why should I be excited about it?
In the case of a laptop user, no more managing two sets of passwords to
get into your system. Plus, with Kerberos, if you log in online, it will
automatically use your login credentials to acquire your Kerberos
ticket-granting ticket for access to network credentials. (And if you're
offline, integration with krb5-auth-dialog will make sure you can easily
acquire that ticket when you go online)

>> 4) Can we make a video that shows this all to put up on the tubes somewhere.
I'm not sure what we can do for a video. I suppose we could record a
Fedora 13 install, setting up the SSSD with authconfig during firstboot
and then demonstrating how it works by simulating offline behavior with
'service [network|Network Manager] stop'

> I've written the occasional blog post about SSSD, but they don't seem to
> get picked up and reprinted in nearly as many places as the Ubuntu blogs
> do. I'd really like for us to find a way to clue people in that the SSSD
> is, first and foremost, a Fedora project.

- --
marketing mailing list
marketing@lists.fedoraproject.org

- --

Old 04-12-2010, 05:56 PM
Stephen John Smoogen

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 11:46 AM, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 04/12/2010 01:35 PM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@redhat.com> wrote:
>> I'm trying to figure out how to do a little PR around the SSSD (the
>> System Security Services Daemon). I've been tracking mentions of it
>> around the web with Google Alerts and in the last few weeks, there have
>> been several dozen hits... all in the Ubuntu context -_-
>>
>> So I'm looking for advice on how to draw attention to the fact that this
>> is a Fedora project. And moreover, works better on Fedora, since we have
>> authconfig making setup a breeze.
>>
>> The SSSD is an advertised Feature for Fedora 13:
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_13_Talking_Points#System_Security_Services_ Daemon_.28SSSD.29
>>
>> My main concern is that most of the chatter that Google Alerts has been
>> picking up have been leading back to blogs written about the Ubuntu
>> package of SSSD (which is an older version than what is available in
>> Fedora and also has no UI for configuring it).
>>
>>> Ok lets look at the following:
>
>>> 1) What does it do?
> We're targeting it as a replacement for nss_ldap, pam_ldap and pam_krb5.
> The main idea is that it handles cached authentication. It's target is
> mainly for larger Fedora deployments that use centralized
> authentication. Within this group, there are two main use-cases we're
> targeting:
> 1) Laptop users. With the SSSD, there's no longer a need to maintain a
> separate local user account. You will be able to sign in with your
> centrally-managed account even when not connected to the LDAP/Kerberos
> server. The SSSD caches credentials so that if the server is
> unavailable, the user can still gain access to their local machine.
> 2) Datacenter servers that rely on LDAP and/or Kerberos for
> authentication will be able to survive authentication outages.
>
>>> 2) How does it work?
> Quite well, thank you
>

>>> 3) Why should I be excited about it?
> In the case of a laptop user, no more managing two sets of passwords to
> get into your system. Plus, with Kerberos, if you log in online, it will
> automatically use your login credentials to acquire your Kerberos
> ticket-granting ticket for access to network credentials. (And if you're
> offline, integration with krb5-auth-dialog will make sure you can easily
> acquire that ticket when you go online)
>
>>> 4) Can we make a video that shows this all to put up on the tubes somewhere.
> I'm not sure what we can do for a video. I suppose we could record a
> Fedora 13 install, setting up the SSSD with authconfig during firstboot
> and then demonstrating how it works by simulating offline behavior with
> 'service [network|Network Manager] stop'

A) Does it have a gui? Show off the gui
B) Show two systems.. one with it and one without it. Take it off
networking or (for the corporate IT person who needs to show their
boss... take it off vpn..) log into both.. which one works.. which one
doesn't. Do a 'time' elapsed cut to 2-3 days later when the ticket no
longer is valid.. log into both... do you get locked out of both?
Tada... extra security for the stolen laptop.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.

-- Robert Browning

Old 04-12-2010, 06:20 PM
Stephen Gallagher

On 04/12/2010 01:56 PM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 11:46 AM, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 04/12/2010 01:35 PM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>>> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@redhat.com> wrote:
>>> I'm trying to figure out how to do a little PR around the SSSD (the
>>> System Security Services Daemon). I've been tracking mentions of it
>>> around the web with Google Alerts and in the last few weeks, there have
>>> been several dozen hits... all in the Ubuntu context -_-
>>>
>>> So I'm looking for advice on how to draw attention to the fact that this
>>> is a Fedora project. And moreover, works better on Fedora, since we have
>>> authconfig making setup a breeze.
>>>
>>> The SSSD is an advertised Feature for Fedora 13:
>>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_13_Talking_Points#System_Security_Services_ Daemon_.28SSSD.29
>>>
>>> My main concern is that most of the chatter that Google Alerts has been
>>> picking up have been leading back to blogs written about the Ubuntu
>>> package of SSSD (which is an older version than what is available in
>>> Fedora and also has no UI for configuring it).

>> We're targeting it as a replacement for nss_ldap, pam_ldap and pam_krb5.
>> The main idea is that it handles cached authentication. It's target is
>> mainly for larger Fedora deployments that use centralized
>> authentication. Within this group, there are two main use-cases we're
>> targeting:
>> 1) Laptop users. With the SSSD, there's no longer a need to maintain a
>> separate local user account. You will be able to sign in with your
>> centrally-managed account even when not connected to the LDAP/Kerberos
>> server. The SSSD caches credentials so that if the server is
>> unavailable, the user can still gain access to their local machine.
>> 2) Datacenter servers that rely on LDAP and/or Kerberos for
>> authentication will be able to survive authentication outages.

>> Quite well, thank you

>> In the case of a laptop user, no more managing two sets of passwords to
>> get into your system. Plus, with Kerberos, if you log in online, it will
>> automatically use your login credentials to acquire your Kerberos
>> ticket-granting ticket for access to network credentials. (And if you're
>> offline, integration with krb5-auth-dialog will make sure you can easily
>> acquire that ticket when you go online)

>> I'm not sure what we can do for a video. I suppose we could record a
>> Fedora 13 install, setting up the SSSD with authconfig during firstboot
>> and then demonstrating how it works by simulating offline behavior with
>> 'service [network|Network Manager] stop'
>>

> A) Does it have a gui? Show off the gui
Starting in Fedora 13, th authconfig UI (aka
system-config-authentication) has been completely redesigned, and will
now configure the SSSD.

See:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2010-03-30_SSSDByDefault
http://mairin.wordpress.com/2010/02/18/authconfig-gtk-ui-revamp/
http://mairin.wordpress.com/2010/03/29/mockups-in-your-hand-authconfig-test-day-tomorrow/

> B) Show two systems.. one with it and one without it. Take it off
> networking or (for the corporate IT person who needs to show their
> boss... take it off vpn..) log into both.. which one works.. which one
> doesn't. Do a 'time' elapsed cut to 2-3 days later when the ticket no
> longer is valid.. log into both... do you get locked out of both?
> Tada... extra security for the stolen laptop.

We could do that pretty easily. Although the latter feature is one that
isn't configured in the UI. We CAN set it so that after N days it
disallows logins, but that requires manually editing the config file.
But yes, it would be added security (just not useful for the 90% case,
so we left it out of the UI)

- --