Old 04-09-2010, 08:23 PM
Nicholas Ozorak

Default Fedora and Video Sharing

Dear Anyone with an interest in video distribution,

My name is Nick Ozorak, and I am one of the students from Allegheny
College who has just come in to help with the Fedora Project. My
particular field of expertise is in video creation and distribution,
as I already have my own video-web series. I'm one of five students
who's looking into the issue of how videos about Fedora can be
distributed online.

I saw in the archives that there was recently a discussion about
Fedora and where videos showcasing the project should be hosted.
Internet Archive was mentioned, as well as Dailymotion. Based off of
my experience, both of these websites are decent places to host video,
but they don't receive as much traffic as the granddaddy of them all -
YouTube. As a consumer, when I am looking for videos regarding
technological developments, YouTube is where I go first.

I am aware that some people are uncomfortable with relying on YouTube
and Flash, but there may be a solution to satisfy everyone. One idea
that I have come up with is:

* Set up official Fedora Project accounts on websites like Internet
Archive and Dailymotion.

* Create videos on these accounts to establish them as being
officially part of the Fedora Project (welcome videos, tutorials,
features of Fedora, etc).

* Designate people to be official Fedora Project Video Account Managers.

* Allow other video creators and content developers to showcase their
Fedora-related work on the official channel(s) by sending their video
to the Account Master(s) for consideration. If accepted, these videos
would be added to the official channel.

* Open a YouTube account, and ask people if they are comfortable with
having their work(s) displayed on YouTube and/or other Flash-based
websites.

I'd be more than happy to discuss this idea in an IRC chat with those
who are interested. I would also be curious to find out what results
previous discussions about this issue have yielded and get a sense of
what people's opinions are.

I will also add that I had never heard of Fedora before one of my
professors started discussing it in class. Once Mel Chua came to
speak with our class and explain how this open-source community
worked, I began to understand. Having videos that explain the goals
of the Fedora Project to those who have heard little to nothing about
the project would be extremely beneficial with regards to outreach.

Thanks for reading, and good luck with preparing for the big release!

Nick

Old 04-09-2010, 09:06 PM
threethirty

On Fri, 2010-04-09 at 16:23 -0400, Nicholas Ozorak wrote:
> Dear Anyone with an interest in video distribution,
>
> My name is Nick Ozorak, and I am one of the students from Allegheny
> College who has just come in to help with the Fedora Project. My
> particular field of expertise is in video creation and distribution,
> as I already have my own video-web series. I'm one of five students
> who's looking into the issue of how videos about Fedora can be
> distributed online.

Ahoy Nick, I'm Justin aka threethirty
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Threethirty)

> I saw in the archives that there was recently a discussion about
> Fedora and where videos showcasing the project should be hosted.
> Internet Archive was mentioned, as well as Dailymotion. Based off of
> my experience, both of these websites are decent places to host video,
> but they don't receive as much traffic as the granddaddy of them all -
> YouTube. As a consumer, when I am looking for videos regarding
> technological developments, YouTube is where I go first.
>
> I am aware that some people are uncomfortable with relying on YouTube
> and Flash, but there may be a solution to satisfy everyone. One idea
> that I have come up with is:
>
> * Set up official Fedora Project accounts on websites like Internet
> Archive and Dailymotion.
>
> * Create videos on these accounts to establish them as being
> officially part of the Fedora Project (welcome videos, tutorials,
> features of Fedora, etc).
>
> * Designate people to be official Fedora Project Video Account Managers.
>
> * Allow other video creators and content developers to showcase their
> Fedora-related work on the official channel(s) by sending their video
> to the Account Master(s) for consideration. If accepted, these videos
> would be added to the official channel.
>
> * Open a YouTube account, and ask people if they are comfortable with
> having their work(s) displayed on YouTube and/or other Flash-based
> websites.
>
> I'd be more than happy to discuss this idea in an IRC chat with those
> who are interested. I would also be curious to find out what results
> previous discussions about this issue have yielded and get a sense of
> what people's opinions are.
>
> I will also add that I had never heard of Fedora before one of my
> professors started discussing it in class. Once Mel Chua came to
> speak with our class and explain how this open-source community
> worked, I began to understand. Having videos that explain the goals
> of the Fedora Project to those who have heard little to nothing about
> the project would be extremely beneficial with regards to outreach.
>
> Thanks for reading, and good luck with preparing for the big release!
>
> Nick

There are some concerns [mostly mine, I don't think anyone cares ] We
should run the TOS by Legal to make sure there is nothing in there that
we (the project) find offensive. We also need to dig through the FUD on
the licensing for h.264, I remember reading somewhere there that if
there weren't proper licenses all the way through the chain the video
creator could be liable. (Yes I know this sounds like bollocks but we
should have a look at it; better safe than sorry)

The other concern is that we are less than 60 days till a release and we
don't want to take an resources from the main goal.

Nick, if I seem like an overly careful a nutter, that's because I am,
but I'm mostly harmless.

The only thing we have so far. Is the archive.org account. But we
haven't done anything with it yet.
--
Justin "threethirty" O'Brien
Fedora Ambassador & Marketing Team Member

Old 04-10-2010, 01:49 AM
Ryan Rix

On Fri 9 April 2010 1:23:23 pm Nicholas Ozorak wrote:
> Dear Anyone with an interest in video distribution,
>
> My name is Nick Ozorak, and I am one of the students from Allegheny
> College who has just come in to help with the Fedora Project. My
> particular field of expertise is in video creation and distribution,
> as I already have my own video-web series. I'm one of five students
> who's looking into the issue of how videos about Fedora can be
> distributed online.

Hey Nick!

Thanks for taking this on, it's great to see all of you getting involved!
I enjoy doing videos when I have something to actually say, as rare as
that is i enjoy editing videos using kdenlive, regardless of whether I
am in them or not, though.

> I saw in the archives that there was recently a discussion about
> Fedora and where videos showcasing the project should be hosted.
> Internet Archive was mentioned, as well as Dailymotion. Based off of
> my experience, both of these websites are decent places to host video,
> but they don't receive as much traffic as the granddaddy of them all -
> YouTube. As a consumer, when I am looking for videos regarding
> technological developments, YouTube is where I go first.
>
> I am aware that some people are uncomfortable with relying on YouTube
> and Flash, but there may be a solution to satisfy everyone. One idea
> that I have come up with is:
>
> * Set up official Fedora Project accounts on websites like Internet
> Archive and Dailymotion.
>
> * Create videos on these accounts to establish them as being
> officially part of the Fedora Project (welcome videos, tutorials,
> features of Fedora, etc).
>
> * Designate people to be official Fedora Project Video Account Managers.
>
> * Allow other video creators and content developers to showcase their
> Fedora-related work on the official channel(s) by sending their video
> to the Account Master(s) for consideration. If accepted, these videos
> would be added to the official channel.
>
> * Open a YouTube account, and ask people if they are comfortable with
> having their work(s) displayed on YouTube and/or other Flash-based
> websites.

All awesome ideas! YouTube is something that, whether we want to or not,
simply cannot ignore :/

This isn't something that I brought up in the original discussion in IRC I
had with Justin O'brien about using blip.tv to host videos, but there is
something to be said that blip.tv could be used as a central distribution
hub... here it is lazily spliced together by /me

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rrix/4506860088/sizes/l/

By leveraging this we could take just a little bit of a load off of the
account managers and lessen the mauled-by-raptors/hit-by-bus factor
involved with having a single person manage shared accounts. The Freedom
aspect is definitely something that we want to take thought of though, and
I think that dual-hosting on archive.org and blip.tv (and all the places
it distributes to) is a Very Good Thing! Thanks for taking this one, Nick
and everyone else involved!

> I'd be more than happy to discuss this idea in an IRC chat with those
> who are interested. I would also be curious to find out what results
> previous discussions about this issue have yielded and get a sense of
> what people's opinions are.
>
> I will also add that I had never heard of Fedora before one of my
> professors started discussing it in class. Once Mel Chua came to
> speak with our class and explain how this open-source community
> worked, I began to understand. Having videos that explain the goals
> of the Fedora Project to those who have heard little to nothing about
> the project would be extremely beneficial with regards to outreach.

Yes, +1! Once we have this infrastructure laid out, these would be some
awesome videos to help introduce people to Fedora. We may even need
someone with previous experience in webcasting *hinthint*

> Thanks for reading, and good luck with preparing for the big release!
>
> Nick

Ryan

--
Ryan Rix

Old 04-10-2010, 07:10 AM
"Nicu Buculei"

threethirty wrote:
> There are some concerns [mostly mine, I don't think anyone cares ] We
> should run the TOS by Legal to make sure there is nothing in there that
> we (the project) find offensive. We also need to dig through the FUD on
> the licensing for h.264, I remember reading somewhere there that if
> there weren't proper licenses all the way through the chain the video
> creator could be liable. (Yes I know this sounds like bollocks but we
> should have a look at it; better safe than sorry)

I don't think h.264 is of concern *now*, AFAIK YouTube still uses h.263 as
default and we will start by using Archive.org/Dailymotion anyway. On top
of that, we will not upload h.264 to YouTube, will let them make the
conversion.

> The other concern is that we are less than 60 days till a release and we
> don't want to take an resources from the main goal.

Well, not everybody works on the release... if someone has the time and
will to get the project running, then more power to them. We that may be
involved in the release, may join the party when we can.

Old 04-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Nelson Marques

As long as the website offers good connectivity worldwide should be ok.
Youtube should be nice since it has akamai behind also.

The importance of prime channels of distribution should be a concern,
and Youtube provides the necessary points for it, either from the
audience point of view or distribution.

+1.

nm

--
Nelson Marques
PGP Fingerprint: 53E1 731B 85A4 A098 8382 8CFF 1AC7 AF01 7717 8063

Old 04-10-2010, 02:57 PM
"Jan Wildeboer"

Youtube however uses the H.264 codec which is patent encumbered and only
viewable on Fedora after installing either (proprietary) Flash or
not-so-well-licensed codecs from external repos.

One of the four F's of Fedora is Freedom. Youtube is not adding to freedom.
Its the price you pay for convenience.

Jan

Old 04-10-2010, 03:29 PM
Nelson Marques

On Sat, 2010-04-10 at 10:57 -0400, Jan Wildeboer wrote:
> Youtube however uses the H.264 codec which is patent encumbered and only
> viewable on Fedora after installing either (proprietary) Flash or
> not-so-well-licensed codecs from external repos.
>
> One of the four F's of Fedora is Freedom. Youtube is not adding to freedom.
> Its the price you pay for convenience.

What would you suggest for an reliable alternative that can provide:

# user friendliness
# decent connectivity
# a wide audience as youtube?

Up to this point, it's constructive. From this point on, it's a private
view and should be faced as such.

As a personal comment, for a second I saw that "freedom" almost as I see
"despotism". It's because of the availability of proprietary software
for Linux and close standards that I use it (and that makes of it an
alternative to other proprietary OS's), else I would be stuck with
Windows (as FOSS doesn't provide everything for users needs).
I understand that we should promote open standards, but that will
handicap a campaign and will probably not give as much impact as it
would. Even for the artists making it, it's a huge cutdown on their
efforts. Do we really need to be so narrow? can't we actually provide it
both ways and make our official stuff on a non-offending format, but
also make it available on youtube?

"In America, through pressure of conformity, there is "freedom of
choice", but nothing to choose from" - Peter Ustinov.

nm

PS: This comment translates a personal view.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:39 PM
Nelson Marques

I'm only facing youtube as a "distribution channel" for contents and how
successful it is for the purpose of content diffusion (and considering
that most people do actually have such plugins available already and use
them nearly daily).

Considering the "Cathedral and Bazaar", if we stripe down all those
"offending" stuff availability... people would continue to see our
platform as a reliable alternative? If they don't use it... they will
contribute for it. Maybe I'm wrong and took the wrong feeling out of it.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:55 PM
"Jan Wildeboer"

Kaltura.com is a good alternative. The rule *should* be to use open
standards whenever possible and convert content to non-free if needed.

The only thing I wanted to pint out is that if s/o wants to remix content,
he should be able to do it with open standards.

So to reiterate - I do *not* oppose usinge youtube, I *do* want to stress
however that "open first" should not be ignored.

So I propose:

- make content *always* available in open standards.
- use youtube etc for distribution when alternatives suck, but *always*
point the viewer to the open standard alternatives (in the description field
etc)

I hope you see that I am not a fundamentalist, I am pragmatic but I want to
make sure we do it right.

If we offer no oepn alternatives, THEN you will get the fundamentalist
discussion - and for a good reason IMHO.

Using your arguments in a little bit of exaggerated way would lead for
example to using Adobe Illustrator for artwork, Photoshop for other stuff
and would exclude those that don't have these tools ...

Jan

Old 04-10-2010, 04:17 PM
Nelson Marques

On Sat, 2010-04-10 at 11:55 -0400, Jan Wildeboer wrote:
> Kaltura.com is a good alternative. The rule *should* be to use open
> standards whenever possible and convert content to non-free if needed.
>
> The only thing I wanted to pint out is that if s/o wants to remix content,
> he should be able to do it with open standards.
>
> So to reiterate - I do *not* oppose usinge youtube, I *do* want to stress
> however that "open first" should not be ignored.
>
> So I propose:
>
> - make content *always* available in open standards.
> - use youtube etc for distribution when alternatives suck, but *always*
> point the viewer to the open standard alternatives (in the description field
> etc)
>
> I hope you see that I am not a fundamentalist, I am pragmatic but I want to
> make sure we do it right.

No, but I like to see arguments as you present them. My interest is only
pointing that distribution channels are important and we can get
probably most profit (not revenue) if we use that most people use. So by
understanding the "consumer profile" we can response accordingly. Of
course that our official statements and such can be forwarded to Kaltura
or any other alternative. But placing it on youtube would also be nice.

> If we offer no oepn alternatives, THEN you will get the fundamentalist
> discussion - and for a good reason IMHO.

Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not against alternatives, my councern
is:

We point someone to a website: all the established audience will see it.

(but in addition if it's on youtube, then many more people will end up
seeing it, so we get our message through a much wider audience,
eventually this will serve our promotion goals better, and of course,
having popular artists tagging with us will also bring more artists to
us. Considering that if one of our artists gets 2 million hits, I would
suppose he would love to contribute even more then having less hits).

> Using your arguments in a little bit of exaggerated way would lead for
> example to using Adobe Illustrator for artwork, Photoshop for other stuff
> and would exclude those that don't have these tools ...

That's not what I had in mind. There are some tools (in my field data
mining and data analysis that if they were not present in Linux, I
wouldn't be able to swap from whatever to Linux). The open source
alternatives are not mature, and probably will never be mature. If we
look at the "Cathedral and Bazaar", you will find that most Marketing
professionals are not programmers, so that model applied to "PSPP" for
example would never work. The maturity level between PSPP and IBM
alternative SPSS is abyssal. (http://www.gnu.org/software/pspp/ VS
http://www.spss.com).

Using your examples, my GIMP knowledge is enough for dropping
Photoshop... my Corel skills are a good reason for not using Inkscape.
But that isn't a problem for me because I'm not an artist neither I
produce artistic content, just some casual photo editing, color messing,
cropping, etc.

Considering the achievement of the last 10 years, and looking to the
future in maybe a naive way, but I could say that eventually FOSS has
everything to become industry mainstream... we're mainly lacking some
market volume shares for it happen (and that won't happen based on
Cathedral and Bazaar model).

Anyway, neither I've taken you by a radical, neither I want to sound
like a radical. I'm trying to see if we can hit a wider audience and get
more proffit (not revenue) out of it.

nelson.