Old 04-09-2010, 12:06 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

Default Talking points change needed?

The user management interface redesign is a "tech preview" in F13, as
opposed to final. Unfortunately the Desktop SIG members working on
the feature aren't able to comfortably make it a default yet, because
there are a few integration pieces left to complete. It will still be
available for installation and use, but not enabled by default, in
F13.

Should we remove this point from the talking points list for user
features? Doing so would still leave five points in that category.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:20 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Fri, Apr 09, 2010 at 08:06:50AM -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> The user management interface redesign is a "tech preview" in F13, as
> opposed to final. Unfortunately the Desktop SIG members working on
> the feature aren't able to comfortably make it a default yet, because
> there are a few integration pieces left to complete. It will still be
> available for installation and use, but not enabled by default, in
> F13.
>
> Should we remove this point from the talking points list for user
> features? Doing so would still leave five points in that category.

Hm, also found that the "yum langpack" feature has been moved off for
now as well. I sent a note to FESCo asking them to notify the
Marketing and Docs teams in the future when features are dropped.
There should be no more feature dropping this cycle, but it would be
good to hear about it sooner in F14.

Still leaves four points for users, which is well within the 3-5 range
we originally wanted to include.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:16 PM
Peter Robinson

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 09, 2010 at 08:06:50AM -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>> The user management interface redesign is a "tech preview" in F13, as
>> opposed to final. *Unfortunately the Desktop SIG members working on
>> the feature aren't able to comfortably make it a default yet, because
>> there are a few integration pieces left to complete. *It will still be
>> available for installation and use, but not enabled by default, in
>> F13.
>>
>> Should we remove this point from the talking points list for user
>> features? *Doing so would still leave five points in that category.
>
> Hm, also found that the "yum langpack" feature has been moved off for
> now as well. *I sent a note to FESCo asking them to notify the
> Marketing and Docs teams in the future when features are dropped.
> There should be no more feature dropping this cycle, but it would be
> good to hear about it sooner in F14.
>
> Still leaves four points for users, which is well within the 3-5 range
> we originally wanted to include.

Having been away and read back through various email backlogs it seems
Moblin (Meego) has been removed as a feature for F-13 too which I
think was a talking point as well (not sure if it stil is or whether I
was dreaming it). I hope it will still make it as an (un)official
feature but only time will tell what comes from upstream.

Peter

Old 04-10-2010, 02:42 AM
Robyn Bergeron

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 5:20 AM, Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 09, 2010 at 08:06:50AM -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>> The user management interface redesign is a "tech preview" in F13, as
>> opposed to final. *Unfortunately the Desktop SIG members working on
>> the feature aren't able to comfortably make it a default yet, because
>> there are a few integration pieces left to complete. *It will still be
>> available for installation and use, but not enabled by default, in
>> F13.
>>
>> Should we remove this point from the talking points list for user
>> features? *Doing so would still leave five points in that category.
>
> Hm, also found that the "yum langpack" feature has been moved off for
> now as well. *I sent a note to FESCo asking them to notify the
> Marketing and Docs teams in the future when features are dropped.
> There should be no more feature dropping this cycle, but it would be
> good to hear about it sooner in F14.
>
> Still leaves four points for users, which is well within the 3-5 range
> we originally wanted to include.

Okay - I'm going to delete the langpack stuff off of Talking Points,
since we have the rule of "no talking points that aren't on feature
list," iirc. (Or maybe that was never officially decided, but I'm
going with it for now.)

But - user account dialog is still in feature list, at 100%. Do we
call it experimental user management interface, techpreview user
management interface, or ... ?

Thoughts? Anyone?

Old 04-10-2010, 06:01 AM
Rahul Sundaram

On 04/10/2010 08:12 AM, Robyn Bergeron wrote:

> But - user account dialog is still in feature list, at 100%. Do we
> call it experimental user management interface, techpreview user
> management interface, or ... ?
>
> Thoughts? Anyone?

Remove it. It is not a point where we can advertise it

Rahul

Old 04-11-2010, 08:40 PM
Paul Frields

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 10:42 PM, Robyn Bergeron
<robyn.bergeron@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 5:20 AM, Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 09, 2010 at 08:06:50AM -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>>> The user management interface redesign is a "tech preview" in F13, as
>>> opposed to final. *Unfortunately the Desktop SIG members working on
>>> the feature aren't able to comfortably make it a default yet, because
>>> there are a few integration pieces left to complete. *It will still be
>>> available for installation and use, but not enabled by default, in
>>> F13.
>>>
>>> Should we remove this point from the talking points list for user
>>> features? *Doing so would still leave five points in that category.
>>
>> Hm, also found that the "yum langpack" feature has been moved off for
>> now as well. *I sent a note to FESCo asking them to notify the
>> Marketing and Docs teams in the future when features are dropped.
>> There should be no more feature dropping this cycle, but it would be
>> good to hear about it sooner in F14.
>>
>> Still leaves four points for users, which is well within the 3-5 range
>> we originally wanted to include.
>
> Okay - I'm going to delete the langpack stuff off of Talking Points,
> since we have the rule of "no talking points that aren't on feature
> list," iirc. *(Or maybe that was never officially decided, but I'm
> going with it for now.)
>
> But - user account dialog is still in feature list, at 100%. *Do we
> call it experimental user management interface, techpreview user
> management interface, or ... ?
>
> Thoughts? Anyone?

I'd remove it from the talking points. It's OK for other material to
reference it, just like we can continue to reference the Moblin Spin
even if its content may be a little in flux. The announcement text
refers to the new user account dialog work as "experimental" which is
accurate -- it's a WiP. As for Moblin, the Spin is still something
approved even if there's no "Moblin 2.2" per se. We can still
reference it and refer to the current content as paving the way for a
MeeGo based spin, I would think.

Paul

Old 04-11-2010, 09:56 PM
Robyn Bergeron

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Paul Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 10:42 PM, Robyn Bergeron
> <robyn.bergeron@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Hm, also found that the "yum langpack" feature has been moved off for
>>> now as well. *I sent a note to FESCo asking them to notify the
>>> Marketing and Docs teams in the future when features are dropped.
>>> There should be no more feature dropping this cycle, but it would be
>>> good to hear about it sooner in F14.
>>>
>>> Still leaves four points for users, which is well within the 3-5 range
>>> we originally wanted to include.
>>
>> Okay - I'm going to delete the langpack stuff off of Talking Points,
>> since we have the rule of "no talking points that aren't on feature
>> list," iirc. *(Or maybe that was never officially decided, but I'm
>> going with it for now.)
>>
>> But - user account dialog is still in feature list, at 100%. *Do we
>> call it experimental user management interface, techpreview user
>> management interface, or ... ?
>>
>> Thoughts? Anyone?
>
> I'd remove it from the talking points. *It's OK for other material to
> reference it, just like we can continue to reference the Moblin Spin
> even if its content may be a little in flux. The announcement text
> refers to the new user account dialog work as "experimental" which is
> accurate -- it's a WiP. *As for Moblin, the Spin is still something
> approved even if there's no "Moblin 2.2" per se. *We can still
> reference it and refer to the current content as paving the way for a
> MeeGo based spin, I would think.

Okay, i removed the user account dialog stuff from talking points. We
left it in the beta announcement and listed it as experimental (rrix,
ke4qqq and i talked about it Friday night) - does this seem
reasonable?

-Robyn

Old 04-12-2010, 03:03 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 02:56:47PM -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Paul Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 10:42 PM, Robyn Bergeron
> > <robyn.bergeron@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Okay - I'm going to delete the langpack stuff off of Talking Points,
> >> since we have the rule of "no talking points that aren't on feature
> >> list," iirc. *(Or maybe that was never officially decided, but I'm
> >> going with it for now.)
> >>
> >> But - user account dialog is still in feature list, at 100%. *Do we
> >> call it experimental user management interface, techpreview user
> >> management interface, or ... ?
> >>
> >> Thoughts? Anyone?
> >
> > I'd remove it from the talking points. *It's OK for other material to
> > reference it, just like we can continue to reference the Moblin Spin
> > even if its content may be a little in flux. The announcement text
> > refers to the new user account dialog work as "experimental" which is
> > accurate -- it's a WiP. *As for Moblin, the Spin is still something
> > approved even if there's no "Moblin 2.2" per se. *We can still
> > reference it and refer to the current content as paving the way for a
> > MeeGo based spin, I would think.
>
> Okay, i removed the user account dialog stuff from talking points. We
> left it in the beta announcement and listed it as experimental (rrix,
> ke4qqq and i talked about it Friday night) - does this seem
> reasonable?

Makes sense to me.