Old 04-08-2010, 06:14 PM
Max Spevack

Default Marketing flyer updated in English

In preparation for Texas Linux Fest, I made a few minor updates to the
Marketing flyer, which was (as I understand it) started by Pierros for
our Greek Ambassadors, and is a great piece of work.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing_Fedora_flyer#Flyer_A4_landscape_english

I'd give the current grade of this flyer a B. Why not an A? Because I
think it could use something more than the cursory review that I gave it
to ensure that it's more on-message, and maybe the once-over from the
design team as well.

I understand the value of a generally-release-independent flyer,
especially if we take the time to design it nicely and we want to use it
for a year or two without making huge changes.

Anyway, I think the current version will serve our needs for TLF. I
just wonder what we'd like this to look like a month from now when F13
lands.

--Max

Old 04-08-2010, 06:53 PM
Robyn Bergeron

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 11:14 AM, Max Spevack <mspevack@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> In preparation for Texas Linux Fest, I made a few minor updates to the
> Marketing flyer, which was (as I understand it) started by Pierros for
> our Greek Ambassadors, and is a great piece of work.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing_Fedora_flyer#Flyer_A4_landscape_english
>
> I'd give the current grade of this flyer a B. *Why not an A? *Because I
> think it could use something more than the cursory review that I gave it
> to ensure that it's more on-message, and maybe the once-over from the
> design team as well.
>
> I understand the value of a generally-release-independent flyer,
> especially if we take the time to design it nicely and we want to use it
> for a year or two without making huge changes.
>
> Anyway, I think the current version will serve our needs for TLF. *I
> just wonder what we'd like this to look like a month from now when F13
> lands.

Soooo - I just discovered the existence of this flyer on joining
ambassadors-list a few weeks ago, and it's been on my to-do list of
things to do but that list is getting kind of hairy lately.

I did talk to inode0 the other day and he pointed me in the direction
of another more updated version of the flyer as well -
http://maxamillion.fedorapeople.org/fedora-flyer-ind-en.odt

That one at least has a current desktop, and fixed links. It could
benefit from some basic things like at least updating the font to be
correct, etc. I can do that... this afternoonish? When are you
sending off the flyers to be printed for TLF?

I think this is something that could definitely be added to the
release schedule as one of the items we should be producing for
ambassadors. (And there may be more things here - hoping to have
"what can marketing do for ambassadors?" on the agenda at FAD NA.)

Old 04-08-2010, 06:56 PM
inode0

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 1:53 PM, Robyn Bergeron <robyn.bergeron@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think this is something that could definitely be added to the
> release schedule as one of the items we should be producing for
> ambassadors. *(And there may be more things here - hoping to have
> "what can marketing do for ambassadors?" on the agenda at FAD NA.)

Yes please.

John

Old 04-08-2010, 06:57 PM
Pierros Papadeas

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 9:14 PM, Max Spevack <mspevack@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> In preparation for Texas Linux Fest, I made a few minor updates to the
> Marketing flyer, which was (as I understand it) started by Pierros for
> our Greek Ambassadors, and is a great piece of work.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing_Fedora_flyer#Flyer_A4_landscape_english
>
> I'd give the current grade of this flyer a B. *Why not an A? *Because I
> think it could use something more than the cursory review that I gave it
> to ensure that it's more on-message, and maybe the once-over from the
> design team as well.
>
> I understand the value of a generally-release-independent flyer,
> especially if we take the time to design it nicely and we want to use it
> for a year or two without making huge changes.
>
> Anyway, I think the current version will serve our needs for TLF. *I
> just wonder what we'd like this to look like a month from now when F13
> lands.

Couldn't agree more with Max, this flyer need a lot of freshness. It
has well fulfilled it purpose and we should work on a new one.

I shall try make a mock-up for a new one, I am thinking something like
fedora-one-page-release-notes on a flyer-printable format.
More pictures, more fun, more fedora!

--
Pierros Papadeas
PGP key: 0x6130DBF8

Old 04-08-2010, 07:00 PM
Robyn Bergeron

2010/4/8 Pierros Papadeas <ppapadeas@gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 9:14 PM, Max Spevack <mspevack@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> In preparation for Texas Linux Fest, I made a few minor updates to the
>> Marketing flyer, which was (as I understand it) started by Pierros for
>> our Greek Ambassadors, and is a great piece of work.
>>
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing_Fedora_flyer#Flyer_A4_landscape_english
>>
>> I'd give the current grade of this flyer a B. *Why not an A? *Because I
>> think it could use something more than the cursory review that I gave it
>> to ensure that it's more on-message, and maybe the once-over from the
>> design team as well.
>>
>> I understand the value of a generally-release-independent flyer,
>> especially if we take the time to design it nicely and we want to use it
>> for a year or two without making huge changes.
>>
>> Anyway, I think the current version will serve our needs for TLF. *I
>> just wonder what we'd like this to look like a month from now when F13
>> lands.
>
> Couldn't agree more with Max, this flyer need a lot of freshness. It
> has well fulfilled it purpose and we should work on a new one.
>
> I shall try make a mock-up for a new one, I am thinking something like
> fedora-one-page-release-notes on a flyer-printable format.
> More pictures, more fun, more fedora!

This may have already been done - mizmo may know?

Old 04-08-2010, 07:02 PM
Robyn Bergeron

2010/4/8 Robyn Bergeron <robyn.bergeron@gmail.com>:
> 2010/4/8 Pierros Papadeas <ppapadeas@gmail.com>:
>> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 9:14 PM, Max Spevack <mspevack@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>>> In preparation for Texas Linux Fest, I made a few minor updates to the
>>> Marketing flyer, which was (as I understand it) started by Pierros for
>>> our Greek Ambassadors, and is a great piece of work.
>>>
>>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing_Fedora_flyer#Flyer_A4_landscape_english
>>>
>>> I'd give the current grade of this flyer a B. *Why not an A? *Because I
>>> think it could use something more than the cursory review that I gave it
>>> to ensure that it's more on-message, and maybe the once-over from the
>>> design team as well.
>>>
>>> I understand the value of a generally-release-independent flyer,
>>> especially if we take the time to design it nicely and we want to use it
>>> for a year or two without making huge changes.
>>>
>>> Anyway, I think the current version will serve our needs for TLF. *I
>>> just wonder what we'd like this to look like a month from now when F13
>>> lands.
>>
>> Couldn't agree more with Max, this flyer need a lot of freshness. It
>> has well fulfilled it purpose and we should work on a new one.
>>
>> I shall try make a mock-up for a new one, I am thinking something like
>> fedora-one-page-release-notes on a flyer-printable format.
>> More pictures, more fun, more fedora!
>
> This may have already been done - mizmo may know?

BTW - I'm happy to work on mockups of new things too - maybe if we all
brainstorm a bit on our own we can come up with some ideas to make
something new / better that is a combination of what we're all
thinking.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:04 PM
Larry Cafiero

I have a request for whomever is doing the flier, and it's a very minor one.

You'll notice on

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing_Fedora_flyer#Flyer_A4_landscape_english

that the text is justified and, on some lines where there are long words, there are huge gaps between words.

Just a suggestion: Flush left, ragged right for text works wonders here.

Larry Cafiero

Old 04-08-2010, 07:21 PM
Max Spevack

On Thu, 8 Apr 2010, Robyn Bergeron wrote:

> Soooo - I just discovered the existence of this flyer on joining
> ambassadors-list a few weeks ago, and it's been on my to-do list of
> things to do but that list is getting kind of hairy lately.
>
> I did talk to inode0 the other day and he pointed me in the direction
> of another more updated version of the flyer as well -
> http://maxamillion.fedorapeople.org/fedora-flyer-ind-en.odt

That's the one that I worked off of, in fact.

--Max

Old 04-08-2010, 08:08 PM
Robyn Bergeron

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 12:21 PM, Max Spevack <mspevack@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Apr 2010, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
>
>> Soooo - I just discovered the existence of this flyer on joining
>> ambassadors-list a few weeks ago, and it's been on my to-do list of
>> things to do but that list is getting kind of hairy lately.
>>
>> I did talk to inode0 the other day and he pointed me in the direction
>> of another more updated version of the flyer as well -
>> http://maxamillion.fedorapeople.org/fedora-flyer-ind-en.odt
>
> That's the one that I worked off of, in fact.

I just updated things a bit, as a draft:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/File:Robyn-draft-new-fedora-flyer.odt

Now - I added the F12 banner, which we could obviously take out or
substitute for something lacking a version number.

I did use the mgopen-modata font - i changed sizes around here and
there to make things fit nice and pretty(or prettier, i suppose).

I also loaded in some random talking points from F13 - if you're going
to use this this weekend, we could probably either substitute stuff
from F12, or throw in the words "upcoming version of fedora will
feature awesome stuff like...", or just hold off on fixing this more
until F13 is out.

Just food for thought. Feel free to throw tomatoes.

-Robyn

Old 04-08-2010, 08:18 PM
Robyn Bergeron

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 1:08 PM, Robyn Bergeron <robyn.bergeron@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 12:21 PM, Max Spevack <mspevack@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, 8 Apr 2010, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
>>
>>> Soooo - I just discovered the existence of this flyer on joining
>>> ambassadors-list a few weeks ago, and it's been on my to-do list of
>>> things to do but that list is getting kind of hairy lately.
>>>
>>> I did talk to inode0 the other day and he pointed me in the direction
>>> of another more updated version of the flyer as well -
>>> http://maxamillion.fedorapeople.org/fedora-flyer-ind-en.odt
>>
>> That's the one that I worked off of, in fact.
>
> I just updated things a bit, as a draft:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/File:Robyn-draft-new-fedora-flyer.odt
>
> Now - I added the F12 banner, which we could obviously take out or
> substitute for something lacking a version number.
>
> I did use the mgopen-modata font - i changed sizes around here and
> there to make things fit nice and pretty(or prettier, i suppose).
>
> I also loaded in some random talking points from F13 - if you're going
> to use this this weekend, we could probably either substitute stuff
> from F12, or throw in the words "upcoming version of fedora will
> feature awesome stuff like...", or just hold off on fixing this more
> until F13 is out.
>
> Just food for thought. Feel free to throw tomatoes.

Also, as usual, my printer is out of ink, so if things aren't laid out
quite right, i can move them around.