Old 04-07-2010, 01:57 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

Default Letter concerning photographs

Marketing team -- here's the letter we could send to students and
ambassadors for help with the one-page release notes. Please review
and comment. If we need to make a lot of edits, no problem -- I'll
move this to the wiki and we can work on it there.

Paul

* * *

Hello,

The Fedora Marketing team is once again working on a "One-Page Release
Notes" to promote the next Fedora release, Fedora 13 "Goddard." We
produced a version of this document for the Fedora 12 release for
which feedback was positive.

It's an attractive document that shows off the fun and excitement of
being involved in the Fedora community, and it also highlights some of
the changes in the release. The Fedora 12 version can be found here
on the wiki, and several translations and alternate formats are also
linked there:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_12_one_page_release_notes

We would like to refresh the content with brand-new photographs from
our communities around the world. Here is our plan:

* The Marketing and Docs teams will create some placeholder content on
the new page for Fedora 13, found here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_13_one_page_release_notes

* The placeholders will include narrative and links for important
features from the Fedora 13 talking points and elsewhere in the
Fedora 13 release notes that can be easily illustrated by
photographs and screenshots.

* All photographs *must* be licensed either Creative Commons
Attribution, or Attribution-ShareAlike (CC-BY or CC-BY-SA). We
cannot use photographs without proper licensing, or with CC
NonCommercial or NoDerivatives (NC, ND) type licensing.

* Anyone who wants to submit a photograph can post it to Flickr, or
their FedoraPeople.org space. If you need help setting up to use
your Fedorapeople.org space, refer to this wiki page:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedorapeople.org

* DON'T upload the photo straight to the wiki (for now). We'll want
confirm the licensing, and crop and edit photos before uploading
them, to save space and time.

* Screenshots are also useful! Make sure you are using the complete
default theme for Fedora 13 without customizations. A good way to
ensure this is to use a *fresh user account* to generate
screenshots, so you're using default settings.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:28 AM
Robyn Bergeron

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 6:57 AM, Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:
> Marketing team -- here's the letter we could send to students and
> ambassadors for help with the one-page release notes. *Please review
> and comment. *If we need to make a lot of edits, no problem -- I'll
> move this to the wiki and we can work on it there.
>
> Paul
>
> * * *
>
> Hello,
>
> The Fedora Marketing team is once again working on a "One-Page Release
> Notes" to promote the next Fedora release, Fedora 13 "Goddard." *We
> produced a version of this document for the Fedora 12 release for
> which feedback was positive.
>
> It's an attractive document that shows off the fun and excitement of
> being involved in the Fedora community, and it also highlights some of
> the changes in the release. *The Fedora 12 version can be found here
> on the wiki, and several translations and alternate formats are also
> linked there:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_12_one_page_release_notes
>
> We would like to refresh the content with brand-new photographs from
> our communities around the world. *Here is our plan:
>
> * The Marketing and Docs teams will create some placeholder content on
> *the new page for Fedora 13, found here:
>
> *https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_13_one_page_release_notes
>
> * The placeholders will include narrative and links for important
> *features from the Fedora 13 talking points and elsewhere in the
> *Fedora 13 release notes that can be easily illustrated by
> *photographs and screenshots.
>
> * All photographs *must* be licensed either Creative Commons
> *Attribution, or Attribution-ShareAlike (CC-BY or CC-BY-SA). *We
> *cannot use photographs without proper licensing, or with CC
> *NonCommercial or NoDerivatives (NC, ND) type licensing.

Do we have any rules regarding things like needing consent from the
photograph subject (if it is a person), regardless of license type?
Particularly if they are pictures of minors? (Think students in a
classroom, etc.)

Other than that - this looks dandy to me. Just want to avoid wading
in those murky legal waters if we can. I'm not sure how CC
licensing handles these types of things offhand.

-Robyn

Old 04-08-2010, 03:51 AM
Ian Weller

On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 07:28:33PM -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 6:57 AM, Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:
> > * All photographs *must* be licensed either Creative Commons
> > *Attribution, or Attribution-ShareAlike (CC-BY or CC-BY-SA). *We
> > *cannot use photographs without proper licensing, or with CC
> > *NonCommercial or NoDerivatives (NC, ND) type licensing.
> >

> Do we have any rules regarding things like needing consent from the
> photograph subject (if it is a person), regardless of license type?
> Particularly if they are pictures of minors? (Think students in a
> classroom, etc.)
>
> Other than that - this looks dandy to me. Just want to avoid wading
> in those murky legal waters if we can. I'm not sure how CC
> licensing handles these types of things offhand.

CC does not take care of personality rights/consent at all.

For the Fedora Picture Book, we used these:
https://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/2/2c/Picture_book_release_form.pdf
But somebody needs to check with spot to see if we can reuse this or if
we need a different one.

--
Ian Weller <ian@ianweller.org>

Old 04-08-2010, 06:37 AM
Nicu Buculei

On 04/08/2010 06:51 AM, Ian Weller wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 07:28:33PM -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
>>
>> Do we have any rules regarding things like needing consent from the
>> photograph subject (if it is a person), regardless of license type?
>> Particularly if they are pictures of minors? (Think students in a
>> classroom, etc.)

Just to be safe, we better keep away from pictures with minors, this is
a huge can of worms.

>> Other than that - this looks dandy to me. Just want to avoid wading
>> in those murky legal waters if we can. I'm not sure how CC
>> licensing handles these types of things offhand.
>
> CC does not take care of personality rights/consent at all.
>
> For the Fedora Picture Book, we used these:
> https://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/2/2c/Picture_book_release_form.pdf
> But somebody needs to check with spot to see if we can reuse this or if
> we need a different one.

In my experience, if we wait for the legalese to get this "proper" then
we miss all the deadlines and accomplish nothing. When we get all the
papers, the enthusiasm around the project would be long gone.

I think a simple approach is to use subjects that have signed the CLA
(people who are known contributors)

Old 04-08-2010, 12:29 PM
Joerg Simon

Am Mittwoch, 7. April 2010 15:57:47 schrieb Paul W. Frields:
> * All photographs *must* be licensed either Creative Commons
> Attribution, or Attribution-ShareAlike (CC-BY or CC-BY-SA). We
> cannot use photographs without proper licensing, or with CC
> NonCommercial or NoDerivatives (NC, ND) type licensing.
> * Anyone who wants to submit a photograph can post it to Flickr, or
> their FedoraPeople.org space. If you need help setting up to use
> your Fedorapeople.org space, refer to this wiki page:

Marketing Team not only for the Release Notes - i do only snaps - but if there
is something you like you can use all what you can find:

http://jsimon.fedorapeople.org/events/

i can deliver larger resolutions if needed!

cu Joerg

--
Joerg (kital) Simon
jsimon@fedoraproject.org

Old 04-08-2010, 12:51 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 07:28:33PM -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
> Do we have any rules regarding things like needing consent from the
> photograph subject (if it is a person), regardless of license type?
> Particularly if they are pictures of minors? (Think students in a
> classroom, etc.)
>
> Other than that - this looks dandy to me. Just want to avoid wading
> in those murky legal waters if we can. I'm not sure how CC
> licensing handles these types of things offhand.

Oy, you're right! We do need releases for models, I believe.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/File:Picture_book_release_form.pdf

That's a release form specifically for the Picture Book project
(dormant). It won't work here because it specifically authorizes for
use in that project -- but I thought we had a more general form. I'll
look into this and report back.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:55 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 09:37:06AM +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> On 04/08/2010 06:51 AM, Ian Weller wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 07:28:33PM -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
> >>
> >> Do we have any rules regarding things like needing consent from the
> >> photograph subject (if it is a person), regardless of license type?
> >> Particularly if they are pictures of minors? (Think students in a
> >> classroom, etc.)
>
> Just to be safe, we better keep away from pictures with minors, this is
> a huge can of worms.

I do agree with this.

> >> Other than that - this looks dandy to me. Just want to avoid wading
> >> in those murky legal waters if we can. I'm not sure how CC
> >> licensing handles these types of things offhand.
> >
> > CC does not take care of personality rights/consent at all.
> >
> > For the Fedora Picture Book, we used these:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/2/2c/Picture_book_release_form.pdf
> > But somebody needs to check with spot to see if we can reuse this or if
> > we need a different one.
>
> In my experience, if we wait for the legalese to get this "proper" then
> we miss all the deadlines and accomplish nothing. When we get all the
> papers, the enthusiasm around the project would be long gone.

+1.

> I think a simple approach is to use subjects that have signed the CLA
> (people who are known contributors)

It would be ideal to be able to avoid the problem. We previously used
pictures only of actual contributors, as a point of fact.

I'm not sure about this, but the Picture Book was going to be offered
for sale, which might have changed the landscape of needing a release.
Our purpose here is obviously not commercial sale, and perhaps the
combination of that factor with having only our community members in
photographs avoids the problem. On top of that, we could ask that the
photographs be taken in a public place which might further dilute the
need for a release.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:07 PM
Nicu Buculei

On 04/08/2010 03:51 PM, Paul W. Frields wrote:

> Oy, you're right! We do need releases for models, I believe.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/File:Picture_book_release_form.pdf
>
> That's a release form specifically for the Picture Book project
> (dormant). It won't work here because it specifically authorizes for
> use in that project -- but I thought we had a more general form. I'll
> look into this and report back.

At the time I tried to push for a more general form, but this was all we
were able to get from Red Hat Legal.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:35 PM
wonderer

Hy,

>> (dormant). It won't work here because it specifically authorizes for
>> use in that project -- but I thought we had a more general form. I'll
>> look into this and report back.

As far as I know we had a similar discussion back short before Marketing
FAD and maybe there is a Ticket for that issue open...
> At the time I tried to push for a more general form, but this was all we
> were able to get from Red Hat Legal.

I prepared some days back a general Translation for a TfP Model contract
I use here in germany for shootings and I think the content is pretty
much the same as in the picture book pdf.

It can be found at
http://wonderer.fedorapeople.org/tfp_model_contract_english.pdf and .odt
version. Maybe it helps one or another.

mit freundlichen Grüßen / best regards
Henrik Heigl - wonderer@fedoraproject.org

PGP/GnuPG: 8237 D432 0616 D567 DBC6 3FE3 0D52 B374 F468 A5F0

Old 04-08-2010, 02:09 PM
Nicu Buculei

On 04/08/2010 05:49 PM, Nelson Marques wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 19:28 -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 6:57 AM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>>
>> Do we have any rules regarding things like needing consent from the
>> photograph subject (if it is a person), regardless of license type?
>> Particularly if they are pictures of minors? (Think students in a
>> classroom, etc.)
>>
>> Other than that - this looks dandy to me. Just want to avoid wading
>> in those murky legal waters if we can. I'm not sure how CC
>> licensing handles these types of things offhand
>
> I would suggest (I don't believe it has never been done before) never to
> use children. That aside, due to the sensivity of this subject and past
> distortions, I'm staying out of this.

Basically, to use minors we would need the release forms signed by their
parents/legal guardians.

I think the best case would be when a contributor send photos made by
himself with his own children and he has a good understanding of the
rules. Anything less may lead to problems.