Old 04-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Mel Chua

Default FI/Zikula meeting minutes, 2010-04-01

(Whoops. Sorry. Sent from the wrong email address initially and hit list
moderation.)

So the minutes and the log don't block on me:

Minutes from the Fedora Insight/Zikula meeting in #fedora-mktg just now
are at
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-mktg/2010-04-01/fedora_insight.2010-04-01-18.00.html,
and full logs at
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-mktg/2010-04-01/fedora_insight.2010-04-01-18.00.log.html.

Because it's been a while and some folks (particularly the members of
the Zikula community this is going out to - but also people like myself
included) may need more context to understand what's going on, and jump
in to help, I'm going to be going through these minutes and writing up a
summary with more backstory after I'm done with my meeting that's about
to start in literally one minute. Will probably blog it too.

But in the meantime, here's the raw dump.

--Mel

Old 04-02-2010, 05:46 AM
Mel Chua

Here's the longer email with context on the launch of the Zikula-based
Fedora Insight project, what's happening with it, and how you can help.
I'm trying to clean this up enough to send to the Zikula folks at
http://groups.google.com/group/zikula-discussions?pli=1, but need help
with the following details:

* When are the relevant Infrastructure freeze dates we're trying to hit?
(I can't find these quickly on the wiki.)
* Have I described the tasks and calls-to-action for the Zikula
community with actual accuracy? I'm guessing a bit from the limited
recent context I have on what type of help we specifically need.

Thanks, folks.

--Mel

----

Full minutes are at
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-mktg/2010-04-01/fedora_insight.2010-04-01-18.00.html,
and full logs are at
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-mktg/2010-04-01/fedora_insight.2010-04-01-18.00.log.html.

== What is Fedora Insight? ==

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Insight

"Fedora Insight (FI) is a website that serves as a place to publish and
share news, articles related to Fedora and Fedora marketing materials in
various formats. It makes it easy for users, developers, and journalists
- people who aren't yet a part of the Fedora contributor community - to
keep up with the goings on of the community without following a dozen
different blogs and mailing lists."

== How does Zikula fit in? ==

FI is entirely based on Zikula and Zikula modules, with a custom theme
and a custom authentication module that allows Fedora contributors to
use their Fedora Account System (FAS) username and password to log in.

== What milestones are we targeting? ==

The Fedora Linux distribution has over 22 million users and several tens
of thousands of contributors, and we are aiming to launch this site in
conjunction with marketing for our 13th release at the start of May,
meaning we'll have to hit Infrastructure freeze dates for staging
(pre-production) and production much earlier than this. (TODO: Need
freeze dates.)

== Where is this conversation happening? ==

Within Fedora, we communicate about FI-the-project (how we are doing in
terms of getting it up and running, etc.) on the Logistics mailing list
(https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/logistics) which is
used for cross-team communication in Fedora. We also have weekly
meetings on IRC, on irc.freenode.net in #fedora-mktg on Thursdays at 2pm
US Eastern time (18:00 GMT).

== What next-actions do we need help with? ==

* https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/2006 <-- We need
to create forms for a pagemaster-based content workflow. This is not a
huge technical challenge, but if anyone from Zikula has best-practices
for pagemaser-based content workflow they'd like to share, this is the
place to do it. Stories? Help? Ideas? Our current workflow is described
in http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Insight_Workflow.

* https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/2057 <-- We're
having some trouble getting pagemaster-based article weighting to work.
Any help here would be awesome.

* https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/2010 <-- More
pagemaster. We're trying to find a better way of wrangling pubtypes. We
think we have a workaround, but aren't sure if it (1) would actually
work, or (2) is really a good idea. Thoughts?

* The database currently used in the testing instance needs to be
migrated to staging at some point. Not a huge deal; someone with access
just has to do it when we're ready.

* https://fedorahosted.org/design-team/ticket/66 <-- The theme needs to
be completed and packaged; finding some old postnuke docs helped, but
it's still been a long and slow journey through finding the appropriate
syntax for pulling out certain pieces of information. More resources for
this would be helpful - once the theme is finished we can push it to
staging (https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/2007).
Are there any Zikula theme gurus in the house that might be able to hang
out during a sprint and lend a hand with any questions that come up?
(We're not sure what they'd be yet.)

* https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/2009 <-- We need
to set up RSS feeds for the different categories/types-of-content coming
out, and to work these feeds into the theming of the site. Once it's
complete, the RSS functionality needs to be tested. Folks with
experience with RSS feeds in Zikula who can come in and take a look and
tell us if we're Doing It Right would be extremely helpful.

* https://fedorahosted.org/marketing-team/ticket/109 <-- FASauth is a
custom module written for Fedora by Simon Birtwistle that allows Fedora
contributors to use their Fedora Account System (FAS) username and
password to log in. We think it works; it needs testing. We also need to
locate and separate all the pieces of changeable configuration in
FASauth so that the module is a clean upstream (and can potentially be
reused by other people), and so that we can back up our custom
configuration for this specific site.

That's it for now - we'll try to keep these weekly updates coming to the
lists after the weekly meetings. Questions, comments, thoughts? Please ask!

--Mel

Old 04-02-2010, 07:03 AM
Hiemanshu Sharma

Here are the dates http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/13/Schedule*The beta freeze releases a day after beta release on 14th April.