Old 03-31-2010, 11:02 PM
Max Spevack

Default wiki challenge -- now on the wiki

Since this idea began at the Marketing FAD, I thought I'd follow up on
list.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Wiki_challenge

Mostly it's just a question of incentives and making it a fun game for
people to see who can meet the challenge first. That's the marketing
trick here, I suppose.

--Max

Old 03-31-2010, 11:14 PM
Max Spevack

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010, Max Spevack wrote:

> Mostly it's just a question of incentives and making it a fun game for
> people to see who can meet the challenge first. That's the marketing
> trick here, I suppose.

"Complete 5 wiki challenges, and get a set of steak knives!"

"Complete 10 wiki challenges, and we'll make you the lead story on
Fedora Weekly News!"

"Complete 15 wiki challenges, and get some travel sponsorship to the
next FUDCon in your region!"

"Complete 50 wiki challenges, and we'll let you name the next release!"

"Complete 500 wiki challenges, and we'll send you a coupon for 20% off
your carpal-tunnel surgery."

&c.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:42 AM
Clint Savage

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 5:14 PM, Max Spevack <mspevack@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Mar 2010, Max Spevack wrote:
>
>> Mostly it's just a question of incentives and making it a fun game for
>> people to see who can meet the challenge first. *That's the marketing
>> trick here, I suppose.
>
> "Complete 5 wiki challenges, and get a set of steak knives!"
>
> "Complete 10 wiki challenges, and we'll make you the lead story on
> Fedora Weekly News!"
>
> "Complete 15 wiki challenges, and get some travel sponsorship to the
> next FUDCon in your region!"
>
> "Complete 50 wiki challenges, and we'll let you name the next release!"
>
> "Complete 500 wiki challenges, and we'll send you a coupon for 20% off
> your carpal-tunnel surgery."
>
> &c.

This reminds me a bit of a social networking game, something like
foursquare. Maybe there's a way that people who commit those wiki
edits can get credit in FAS or Fedora Community and earn points toward
sponsorship to FUDCon or Fedora SWAG or something. I think we may
have an idea here...

Clint

Old 04-01-2010, 06:52 AM
Pierros Papadeas

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 5:42 AM, Clint Savage <herlo1@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 5:14 PM, Max Spevack <mspevack@redhat.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 31 Mar 2010, Max Spevack wrote:
>>
>>> Mostly it's just a question of incentives and making it a fun game for
>>> people to see who can meet the challenge first. *That's the marketing
>>> trick here, I suppose.
>>
>> "Complete 5 wiki challenges, and get a set of steak knives!"
>>
>> "Complete 10 wiki challenges, and we'll make you the lead story on
>> Fedora Weekly News!"
>>
>> "Complete 15 wiki challenges, and get some travel sponsorship to the
>> next FUDCon in your region!"
>>
>> "Complete 50 wiki challenges, and we'll let you name the next release!"
>>
>> "Complete 500 wiki challenges, and we'll send you a coupon for 20% off
>> your carpal-tunnel surgery."
>>
>> &c.
>
> This reminds me a bit of a social networking game, something like
> foursquare. *Maybe there's a way that people who commit those wiki
> edits can get credit in FAS or Fedora Community and earn points toward
> sponsorship to FUDCon or Fedora SWAG or something. *I think we may
> have an idea here...

That's a nice challenge!

This reminds me, to remind everyone that our wiki genreally needs MORE
love! Not only cleaning up pages and getting them up to date, but also
editing with comments (I can not seem to find anyone else but me to
edit with comments ) and also being bold on editing

Max, start counting my wiki challenges, because Fedora 15 is going to
have my name on it

Let's make our wiki shine!

--
Pierros Papadeas
PGP key: 0x6130DBF8

Old 04-01-2010, 05:58 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 09:52:19AM +0300, Pierros Papadeas wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 5:42 AM, Clint Savage <herlo1@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> "Complete 5 wiki challenges, and get a set of steak knives!"
> >>
> >> "Complete 10 wiki challenges, and we'll make you the lead story on
> >> Fedora Weekly News!"
> >>
> >> "Complete 15 wiki challenges, and get some travel sponsorship to the
> >> next FUDCon in your region!"
> >>
> >> "Complete 50 wiki challenges, and we'll let you name the next release!"
> >>
> >> "Complete 500 wiki challenges, and we'll send you a coupon for 20% off
> >> your carpal-tunnel surgery."
> >>
> >> &c.
> >
> > This reminds me a bit of a social networking game, something like
> > foursquare. *Maybe there's a way that people who commit those wiki
> > edits can get credit in FAS or Fedora Community and earn points toward
> > sponsorship to FUDCon or Fedora SWAG or something. *I think we may
> > have an idea here...
>
> That's a nice challenge!
>
> This reminds me, to remind everyone that our wiki genreally needs MORE
> love! Not only cleaning up pages and getting them up to date, but also
> editing with comments (I can not seem to find anyone else but me to
> edit with comments ) and also being bold on editing
>
> Max, start counting my wiki challenges, because Fedora 15 is going to
> have my name on it
>
> Let's make our wiki shine!

Pierros, you're an inspiration!

Old 04-01-2010, 07:36 PM
Hiemanshu Sharma

Fedora 16 will be mine, And I will be coming to NA every year with 15+ wiki edits every year

- Hiemanshu Sharma.

On 1 April 2010 23:28, Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 09:52:19AM +0300, Pierros Papadeas wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 5:42 AM, Clint Savage <herlo1@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> "Complete 5 wiki challenges, and get a set of steak knives!"

> >> "Complete 10 wiki challenges, and we'll make you the lead story on

> >> Fedora Weekly News!"

> >> "Complete 15 wiki challenges, and get some travel sponsorship to the

> >> next FUDCon in your region!"

> >> "Complete 50 wiki challenges, and we'll let you name the next release!"

> >> "Complete 500 wiki challenges, and we'll send you a coupon for 20% off

> >> your carpal-tunnel surgery."

> >> &c.

> > This reminds me a bit of a social networking game, something like

> > foursquare. *Maybe there's a way that people who commit those wiki

> > edits can get credit in FAS or Fedora Community and earn points toward

> > sponsorship to FUDCon or Fedora SWAG or something. *I think we may

> > have an idea here...

> That's a nice challenge!

> This reminds me, to remind everyone that our wiki genreally needs MORE

> love! Not only cleaning up pages and getting them up to date, but also

> editing with comments (I can not seem to find anyone else but me to

> edit with comments ) and also being bold on editing

> Max, start counting my wiki challenges, because Fedora 15 is going to

> have my name on it

> Let's make our wiki shine!

Pierros, you're an inspiration!

--

Paul W. Frields * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *http://paul.frields.org/

*gpg fingerprint: 3DA6 A0AC 6D58 FEC4 0233 *5906 ACDB C937 BD11 3717

*http://redhat.com/ * - *- *- *- * http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/

* * * * *Where open source multiplies: http://opensource.com

Old 04-01-2010, 07:51 PM
Nelson Marques

I will stay out of this for now so I can focus on what I have already
on the workbench.

In the future will help if I can, without looking for compensation.
Though glad to see everyone got motivation.

nm

Private Contact- 07721@ipam.pt

Old 04-02-2010, 08:40 PM
"Neville A. Cross"

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 1:36 PM, Hiemanshu Sharma
<hiemanshu@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Fedora 16 will be mine, And I will be coming to NA every year with 15+ wiki
> edits every year
>
> - Hiemanshu Sharma.

It seems that the competitive spirit has sparked !!
I would like to tackle some wiki that are not that technical. Right
now selinux and custom kernels are beyond my skills... I hope future
updates to the challenges bring other stuff as well.

Should this be spread to other lists?

Best regards

--
Neville
Linux User # 473217

Old 04-02-2010, 08:58 PM
Nelson Marques

On Fri, 2010-04-02 at 14:40 -0600, Neville A. Cross wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 1:36 PM, Hiemanshu Sharma
> <hiemanshu@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > Fedora 16 will be mine, And I will be coming to NA every year with 15+ wiki
> > edits every year
> >
> > - Hiemanshu Sharma.
> >

> It seems that the competitive spirit has sparked !!
> I would like to tackle some wiki that are not that technical. Right
> now selinux and custom kernels are beyond my skills... I hope future
> updates to the challenges bring other stuff as well.
>
> Should this be spread to other lists?
>
> Best regards
>
> --
> Neville
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Yn1v
> Linux User # 473217

Neville,

When I blogged about the SWOT, I got a great email full of information
regarding SELinux. If anyone wants to pick it up, I can provide all the
info, some of them is compatible with our licencing, other is provided
by NSA and other institutions, which can be used to write an article or
whatever as long as we don't go into pelagic issues.

I can ask the person who sended me all that info to send it to someone
who wants to pick up the topic.

Though I'm not an engineer, despite I understand the concept
(theoretical and operational) of SELinux, and been defending it as a
great feature/technology present in Fedora, I dont feel capable of
taking it and really highlight it in the way it should.

SELinux is actually something we should care a bit more promoting, as
it's a strategical advantage of Fedora compared to other distro's, as I
mentioned before, for example Novell deploys openSuSE with SELinux
disabled and AppArmor enabled, despite they are not the same, I would
assume they are competitors in the segment they designed for.

+1 for SELinux.

NM

Old 04-02-2010, 09:35 PM
"Neville A. Cross"

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 2:58 PM, Nelson Marques <07721@ipam.pt> wrote:

> Neville,
>
> *When I blogged about the SWOT, I got a great email full of information
> regarding SELinux. If anyone wants to pick it up, I can provide all the
> info, some of them is compatible with our licencing, other is provided
> by NSA and other institutions, which can be used to write an article or
> whatever as long as we don't go into pelagic issues.
>
> *I can ask the person who sended me all that info to send it to someone
> who wants to pick up the topic.
>
> *Though I'm not an engineer, despite I understand the concept
> (theoretical and operational) of SELinux, and been defending it as a
> great feature/technology present in Fedora, I dont feel capable of
> taking it and really highlight it in the way it should.
>
> *SELinux is actually something we should care a bit more promoting, as
> it's a strategical advantage of Fedora compared to other distro's, as I
> mentioned before, for example Novell deploys openSuSE with SELinux
> disabled and AppArmor enabled, despite they are not the same, I would
> assume they are competitors in the segment they designed for.
>
> *+1 for SELinux.
>
> *NM

I am not an engeneering either... There was even a fedora class room
on selinux, which I did not attend because of work.

I resent that many places, the best solution offered to setup services
is to turn down selinux. I think is something that technical people
should try to explain better to the rest of us. Some day we shoul
start looking for those places where thre ae commands for turning off
selinux and comment on alternatives.

I found myself battling among selinux and automatic bug reporting tool
after installing F12. I finally gave up and choose to unistall the bug
tool from family computers, and turned off selinux on my computer.

Best regards

--
Neville
Linux User # 473217