Old 03-28-2010, 07:01 PM
Nelson Marques

Default Need some time in a future Marketing Meeting.

If possible I would like to get some space in one of our Marketing Team
meeting to introduce and discuss some topics:

* Cultural aspects in Communication - it's importance, as Fedora aims
to an International Community.
* Consider what we shouldn't associate with Fedora.
* Symbology and Brand Association
* Restriction policy towards potential "harmful" symbology

We should focus on this for future releases as I've runned across some
other topics and despite being loaded of work, I'll drop a bit on
everything so we can push this forward as fast as we can. I don't
believe we can accomplish such before F13 Release, but at least we can
start thinking on providing such grounds for F14 release.

All this freedom thing is nice, but some people really don't get the
picture that using some symbology (despite of their personal opinion)
that has strong negative connotations is harmful.

Give me 2 weeks to get prepared, set a document and gather some
scientific marketing production to backup this subject and present it.
If possible I would like to go remote on voice aswell for this.

nelson

--
Nelson Marques <07721@ipam.pt>

Old 03-28-2010, 07:11 PM
Robyn Bergeron

I think this would be great to add to the schedule -after- F13 is out.
Between now and then, most of the marketing meetings are reserved for
sprinting on deliverables and such. As it is - we'd really be looking
at late may. Feel free drop it into the Agenda section of
[[Marketing_meeting]] and list it as a future topic.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:19 PM
wonderer

Hy Nelson,

> meeting to introduce and discuss some topics:
>
> * Cultural aspects in Communication - it's importance, as Fedora aims
> to an International Community.
> * Consider what we shouldn't associate with Fedora.
> * Symbology and Brand Association
> * Restriction policy towards potential "harmful" symbology

I see your point regarding the mailings you posted also across the
ambassadors list. But (me personally) also I think there is at THIS
point in time more important work to do regarding upcoming F13 release
(feature freeze is already on the move), the marketing tasks already on
the move and upcoming marketing tasks. We should have such things in
mind if it comes to new slogans and icons and stuff like that, but also
know that there are also a Red Hat legal Department which will have a
look at our work as far as I know and if there would be a potentional
harm there would be persons who let us know about it. Also there are
many blogposts, irc discussions, etc. around and if something with bad
influence came up it had popped up already.
Also I think words like "restriction policy" is here totally wrong.
Maybe one tiny section in the upcoming kind of brandbook or Design
Guideline should be enough
> Give me 2 weeks to get prepared, set a document and gather some
> scientific marketing production to backup this subject and present it.
> If possible I would like to go remote on voice aswell for this.

I think we ALWAYS could find something that can be uses "against" some
freedom ideas, symbols, etc. Somebody can say that the "f" look like a
hook and associate it with "we hook you up" or "I plow with that hook to
your nose" or something more surreal ;-)
I'm looking forward to read about your thesis and I know what you mean,
but also I think that we are so far really good with "our" symbolism.
But thats only my 2Cents

mit freundlichen Grüßen / best regards
Henrik Heigl - wonderer@fedoraproject.org

PGP/GnuPG: 8237 D432 0616 D567 DBC6 3FE3 0D52 B374 F468 A5F0

Old 03-28-2010, 07:20 PM
Larry Cafiero

Good call, Robyn. Also, in an effort to streamline the process to keep from weighing down meetings with long theoretical discussions, most of the topics below can be discussed on list prior to the meeting for which it is agendized.

Larry Cafiero

Old 03-28-2010, 07:30 PM
wonderer

+1

Old 03-28-2010, 07:48 PM
Nelson Marques

On Sun, 2010-03-28 at 21:19 +0200, wonderer wrote:
> Hy Nelson,
>

> > meeting to introduce and discuss some topics:
> >
> > * Cultural aspects in Communication - it's importance, as Fedora aims
> > to an International Community.
> > * Consider what we shouldn't associate with Fedora.
> > * Symbology and Brand Association
> > * Restriction policy towards potential "harmful" symbology
> >
> I see your point regarding the mailings you posted also across the
> ambassadors list. But (me personally) also I think there is at THIS
> point in time more important work to do regarding upcoming F13 release
> (feature freeze is already on the move), the marketing tasks already on
> the move and upcoming marketing tasks. We should have such things in
> mind if it comes to new slogans and icons and stuff like that, but also
> know that there are also a Red Hat legal Department which will have a
> look at our work as far as I know and if there would be a potentional
> harm there would be persons who let us know about it. Also there are
> many blogposts, irc discussions, etc. around and if something with bad
> influence came up it had popped up already.
> Also I think words like "restriction policy" is here totally wrong.
> Maybe one tiny section in the upcoming kind of brandbook or Design
> Guideline should be enough
> > Give me 2 weeks to get prepared, set a document and gather some
> > scientific marketing production to backup this subject and present it.
> > If possible I would like to go remote on voice aswell for this.
> >
> I think we ALWAYS could find something that can be uses "against" some
> freedom ideas, symbols, etc. Somebody can say that the "f" look like a
> hook and associate it with "we hook you up" or "I plow with that hook to
> your nose" or something more surreal ;-)
> I'm looking forward to read about your thesis and I know what you mean,
> but also I think that we are so far really good with "our" symbolism.
> But thats only my 2Cents

I'm not dumping a thesis neither I will take much time, 20 minutes
should be enough. All I want to do is to show how symbology, cultures
and sub-cultures (in the field of Anthropology) are important for our
work. By ignoring those we are providing free ammunition to be used
against ourselfs. In a real corporate world, companies like Coca Cola,
Nike, Citroen and others have already loss loads of money and hurt their
brands because of small/tiny things like this.

It is something we can try to achieve. I'm going to place it in the
Agenda, still today and prepare a small presentation for everyone who
wants to read it based on some practical examples I am aware off. Then
if people find it is relevant, good, else, I rest my case and will
release a document for those who want to read it.

By the way, this is not an issue in the field of Legal Departments, they
are not trained in cultural movements/sub-cultures/symbology. This is
mainly a part of Anthropology, which alongside with some other behavior
sciences are a part of Marketing.

And please that "f" example (which I've always associated with inFinity)
is something rather different. No one was ever arrested and prosecuted
for such, which people have been arrested and prosecuted in Europe due
to using the "Hands Horns" gesture, to be precise, 5 people in Italy
during a Vatican event. So I think this gives a new insight about
things, considering that 1.1 billion people might feel offended by such
symbology, which is apparent un-harmfull for US citizens. That sign
excepting Northern America is deeply related to religion in all the
places, dodging such topics would be great for us, right ? Not to enter
the cultural/sub-cultural movements that I referred previously on the
ambassadors list.

I'm just trying to help, nothing more, nothing less. And since Red Hat
owns the Fedora brand, I do think they should send a representative to
check out if this issues are worth looking or not. I'm pretty sure they
will agree with some things.

nelson

Old 03-28-2010, 08:44 PM
Robyn Bergeron

Comments inline -

On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 12:48 PM, Nelson Marques <07721@ipam.pt> wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-03-28 at 21:19 +0200, wonderer wrote:
>> Hy Nelson,
>>

>> > meeting to introduce and discuss some topics:
>> >
>> > ** Cultural aspects in Communication - it's importance, as Fedora aims
>> > to an International Community.
>> > ** Consider what we shouldn't associate with Fedora.
>> > ** Symbology and Brand Association
>> > ** Restriction policy towards potential "harmful" symbology
>> >
>> I see your point regarding the mailings you posted also across the
>> ambassadors list. But (me personally) also I think there is at THIS
>> point in time more important work to do regarding upcoming F13 release
>> (feature freeze is already on the move), the marketing tasks already on
>> the move and upcoming marketing tasks. We should have such things in
>> mind if it comes to new slogans and icons and stuff like that, but also
>> know that there are also a Red Hat legal Department which will have a
>> look at our work as far as I know and if there would be a potentional
>> harm there would be persons who let us know about it. Also there are
>> many blogposts, irc discussions, etc. around and if something with bad
>> influence came up it had popped up already.
>> Also I think words like "restriction policy" is here totally wrong.
>> Maybe one tiny section in the upcoming kind of brandbook or Design
>> Guideline should be enough
>> > *Give me 2 weeks to get prepared, set a document and gather some
>> > scientific marketing production to backup this subject and present it.
>> > *If possible I would like to go remote on voice aswell for this.
>> >
>> I think we ALWAYS could find something that can be uses "against" some
>> freedom ideas, symbols, etc. Somebody can say that the "f" look like a
>> hook and associate it with "we hook you up" or "I plow with that hook to
>> your nose" or something more surreal ;-)
>> I'm looking forward to read about your thesis and I know what you mean,
>> but also I think that we are so far really good with "our" symbolism.
>> But thats only my 2Cents
>
> I'm not dumping a thesis neither I will take much time, 20 minutes
> should be enough. All I want to do is to show how symbology, cultures
> and sub-cultures (in the field of Anthropology) are important for our
> work. By ignoring those we are providing free ammunition to be used
> against ourselfs. In a real corporate world, companies like Coca Cola,
> Nike, Citroen and others have already loss loads of money and hurt their
> brands because of small/tiny things like this

20 minutes is not enough to cover what you have listed. We have major
issues in marketing meetings currently (IMO) just trying to stick to
agendas and topics without losing time, and we can barely get through
agenda items in one hour. You're essentially proposing that we cover
four major discussion topics at 5 minutes apiece, and I'm afraid that
is just unrealistic, given the curiosity levels of our group (which is
a good thing, btw). The topics are important enough that they should
be allocated an appropriate amount of time; however, in terms of
prioritization, the deliverables that we are currently committed to as
far as the F13 release are just, quite simply, higher priority. These
are items we have essentially signed our names to as far as on-time
delivery - it is a matter of our own reputations within the community
to get them out the door as agreed.

If you want to have a meeting on a schedule that is not the standard
marketing meeting time, put it on your blog and email to mktg and
ambassadors, then that is certainly permitted. I would suggest taking
a look at the meeting schedule for the #fedora-meeting rooms at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/FedoraMeetingChannel and
pick a time that won't be a conflict for most people. Right now, we
-need- the scheduled marketing meeting for tracking and/or sprinting
on deliverables right now.
.

> It is something we can try to achieve. I'm going to place it in the
> Agenda, still today and prepare a small presentation for everyone who
> wants to read it based on some practical examples I am aware off. Then
> if people find it is relevant, good, else, I rest my case and will
> release a document for those who want to read it.
>
> By the way, this is not an issue in the field of Legal Departments, they
> are not trained in cultural movements/sub-cultures/symbology. This is
> mainly a part of Anthropology, which alongside with some other behavior
> sciences are a part of Marketing.
>
> And please that "f" example (which I've always associated with inFinity)
> is something rather different. No one was ever arrested and prosecuted
> for such, which people have been arrested and prosecuted in Europe due
> to using the "Hands Horns" gesture, to be precise, 5 people in Italy
> during a Vatican event. So I think this gives a new insight about
> things, considering that 1.1 billion people might feel offended by such
> symbology, which is apparent un-harmfull for US citizens. That sign
> excepting Northern America is deeply related to religion in all the
> places, dodging such topics would be great for us, right ? Not to enter
> the cultural/sub-cultural movements that I referred previously on the
> ambassadors list.
>
> I'm just trying to help, nothing more, nothing less. And since Red Hat
> owns the Fedora brand, I do think they should send a representative to
> check out if this issues are worth looking or not. I'm pretty sure they
> will agree with some things.

I'm not sure I speak for marketing, ambassadors, or really, anyone
else in the Fedora community - but I, personally, am not down with the
idea of "calling in the Red Hat Referee to see who they agree with."
We have a Board for this purpose, with a mix of people employed and
not employed by Red Hat. We are a community; what we prioritize as a
community should be agreed upon by the -community-, not by our
sponsor. (But I'd like to take a moment and say: Thank you, Daddy
Shadowman, for allowing us the freedom to be Fedora!)

$.02.

-Robyn

Old 03-28-2010, 09:21 PM
threethirty

+1 we have real work to do.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:30 AM
"Neville A. Cross"

On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 5:21 PM, threethirty <three@threethirty.us> wrote:
> +1 we have real work to do.

We all have to be sensitive to differences, but it is impossible for
one person to know all the possible way of something get
misinterpreted. Most important it is impossible to please everybody
all the time.

We are doing real work. I have helped with Spanish localization of One
Page Release Notes. I also was asked random stuff out the blue by
Gomex, and without knowing I help him with the Brazilian localization.

http://www.projetofedora.org/wiki/index.php/Fedora_12_notas_de_lancamento
http://proyectofedora.org/wiki/Conoce_Fedora_12

We (as marketing team) discussed (at FAD) that we need to promote
better those localizations for the next release. Invite more people to
do more localization. This is the way out, local people will not
include wrong local symbols. The solution was already in place, but
apparently not well known.

Best regards.

PS: What a marketing budget we will got if we find a way to cash all
the $0.02 that everybody is tossing with at emails

--
Neville
Linux User # 473217

Old 03-29-2010, 06:14 AM
Ryan Rix

On Sun 28 March 2010 10:30:35 pm Neville A. Cross wrote:
> PS: What a marketing budget we will got if we find a way to cash all
> the $0.02 that everybody is tossing with at emails

Enough for a marketing material localisation FAD

--
Ryan Rix