FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Marketing

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-27-2010, 02:53 AM
threethirty
 
Default Fedora and Video

Ahoy hoy Marketeers!

Some of us were in IRC [1][2][3]discussing how Fedora, Video, and
(Software) Freedom can all co-exsit peacefully.

I think that we have come up with a really good Stage One solution (I
have some other ideas but lets get this one off the ground first). This
stage is creating an account with the Internet Archive
(http://archive.org). The Internet Archive allows people to upload
media as long as it is under a shareable license, and since we all love
CC so much our love of CC-BY and CC-BY-SA are a perfect fit. We also
have this Foundation of Freedom which I personally read as Software
Freedom. The Internet Archive is a good fit here because they allow
users to upload in the OGG Theora format and will embed said OGG files
using the nifty new HTML5 video tags.

So here are the problems. How do we create an account on a service and
allow Fedorians around the world to upload there without giving everyone
in the world the password (can this somehow be tied into FAS?)? How can
we make sure that all of the content is always CC-BY or BY-SA and in the
Freedom loving OGG format? How can we make this uniquly Fedora? (this
isn't totally nessisary but would be really nice to be able to pull off)

So this is currently where we stand. thoughts?

[1] Minutes:
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-mktg/2010-03-27/fedora-mktg.2010-03-27-02.09.html
[2] Minutes (text):
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-mktg/2010-03-27/fedora-mktg.2010-03-27-02.09.txt
[3] Log:
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-mktg/2010-03-27/fedora-mktg.2010-03-27-02.09.log.html


--
Justin "threethirty" O'Brien
Fedora Ambassador & Marketing Team Member
threethirty@fedoraproject.org
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Threethirty
threethirty on freenode.net
@threethirty - twitter/identi.ca/jaiku
Phone: (765) 688-0723

--
marketing mailing list
marketing@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing
 
Old 03-27-2010, 11:13 AM
Mel Chua
 
Default Fedora and Video

> So this is currently where we stand. thoughts?

This looks great - and I love the Internet Archive solution, as it
supports free-as-in-freedom-ness as much as we're probably able to find
right now.

Another possibility brought up for evaluation was dailymotion, which
also supports ogg/html5
(http://www.reelseo.com/dailymotion-support-open-video-formats/) and is
based on an open source PHP framework
(http://www.symfony-project.org/blog/2009/02/18/dailymotion-powered-by-symfony
- though I can't find any references to whether the customizations
they've introduced are also open-licensed... in the absence of being
able to find this, don't think so.)

The question in my mind is how, while still starting from our shared
foundation of Freedom, we can make these videos as accessible and
consumable by others as possible. In particular, we hope many of these
videos will reach people who *aren't* already using Fedora and Free
Software, so that they will *start* using Fedora and Free Software - how
do we make this experience as easy and pleasant as possible for them as
possible? They probably won't care about ogg/html5... they're just going
to want to watch the video. (This is similar to the discussion we had
earlier about using twitter alongside identi.ca - we need to make sure
that we're not just preaching to the choir.)

I'm hoping this question is something that students, as folks new to
Fedora and probably new to open source, but veterans of social media,
will be able to help us with.

Also, I made a stub page for this
(https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Video_hosting) and linked to it from our
projects section (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing#Projects).

Finally, remember that we've still got our release deliverables to
do[0]. Folks working on feature profiles, those are your first
priority, marketing-wise. (Speaking of which... I need to schedule
interviews for mine.) Folks not working on feature profiles, we start
work on https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/One_page_release_notes this
coming Tuesday. Mm, prioritization!

--Mel

[0]
http://poelstra.fedorapeople.org/schedules/f-13/f-13-marketing-tasks.html
--
marketing mailing list
marketing@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing
 
Old 03-29-2010, 06:42 AM
Nicu Buculei
 
Default Fedora and Video

On 03/27/2010 02:13 PM, Mel Chua wrote:
>> So this is currently where we stand. thoughts?
>
> The question in my mind is how, while still starting from our shared
> foundation of Freedom, we can make these videos as accessible and
> consumable by others as possible. In particular, we hope many of these
> videos will reach people who *aren't* already using Fedora and Free
> Software, so that they will *start* using Fedora and Free Software - how
> do we make this experience as easy and pleasant as possible for them as
> possible? They probably won't care about ogg/html5... they're just going
> to want to watch the video. (This is similar to the discussion we had
> earlier about using twitter alongside identi.ca - we need to make sure
> that we're not just preaching to the choir.)

If what we want is to reach as many people as possible we have to go
where the users are, even this means non-free channels. Have the master,
canonical, source in Free formats delivered by standard code (like
archive.org) but put copies everywhere, YouTube and such.

> I'm hoping this question is something that students, as folks new to
> Fedora and probably new to open source, but veterans of social media,
> will be able to help us with.

I am not a veteran but also not a total newbie and my experience is
painful... right now I am preparing a clip (not directly Fedora related
but about Document Freedom Day): it was edited in Fedora and due to the
software (from rpmfusion) being buggy I had to save as .mp4 (h264) and
try to convert later to Theora. In this particular case the mp4 has
235MB and by converting to ogv the file size *increased* to 627MB (it
does not happen usually, probably because it was filmed outdoors).
Finding a hosting solution for the Free version is going to be
troublesome for me.

--
nicu :: http://nicubunu.ro :: http://nicubunu.blogspot.com/
--
marketing mailing list
marketing@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing
 
Old 03-29-2010, 06:50 AM
Gregory Maxwell
 
Default Fedora and Video

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 2:42 AM, Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora@nicubunu.ro> wrote:
> I am not a veteran but also not a total newbie and my experience is
> painful... right now I am preparing a clip (not directly Fedora related
> but about Document Freedom Day): it was edited in Fedora and due to the
> software (from rpmfusion) being buggy I had to save as .mp4 (h264) and
> try to convert later to Theora. In this particular case the mp4 has
> 235MB and by converting to ogv the file size *increased* to 627MB (it
> does not happen usually, probably because it was filmed outdoors).
> Finding a hosting solution for the Free version is going to be
> troublesome for me.

The size is a setting in the conversion software. You can choose
whatever size you want. The reason you are getting a large result is
because the conversion tool you are using is defaulting to that target
quality of bitrate.

Of course, the quality is always going to be worse than the h264 file
because you are converting from one lossy format to another.

Have bugs been filed for Theora output for whatever tools you tried
using? If you'd like I can help you off-list in getting them filed.
--
marketing mailing list
marketing@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing
 
Old 03-29-2010, 07:21 AM
threethirty
 
Default Fedora and Video

On Mon, 2010-03-29 at 09:42 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:

> If what we want is to reach as many people as possible we have to go
> where the users are, even this means non-free channels. Have the master,
> canonical, source in Free formats delivered by standard code (like
> archive.org) but put copies everywhere, YouTube and such.
>
I agree but I feel we should exhaust all of the Theora/HTML5 options
first. Freedom is one of our foundations after all. This of course will
all wait until after 13 is released

--threethirty



--
marketing mailing list
marketing@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing
 
Old 03-29-2010, 07:32 AM
Sean DALY
 
Default Fedora and Video

At Sugar Labs, after some discussion we chose to open a channel [1] on
Dailymotion, which supports free formats natively and is present in 24
countries. I watch Sugar vids on my iPhone.

We have communicated to Google that support of free formats would be
in their interest. So far, only the Speex audio codec works in Flash
on YouTube. Adobe could add Flash support for other unencumbered
codecs any day of the week, but choose not to.

Sean

1. http://www.dailymotion.com/group/SugarLabs


On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 9:21 AM, threethirty <three@threethirty.us> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-03-29 at 09:42 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
>
>> If what we want is to reach as many people as possible we have to go
>> where the users are, even this means non-free channels. Have the master,
>> canonical, source in Free formats delivered by standard code (like
>> archive.org) but put copies everywhere, YouTube and such.
>>
> I agree but I feel we should exhaust all of the Theora/HTML5 options
> first. Freedom is one of our foundations after all. This of course will
> all wait until after 13 is released
>
> --threethirty
>
>
>
> --
> marketing mailing list
> marketing@lists.fedoraproject.org
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing
>
--
marketing mailing list
marketing@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:34 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org