Old 03-25-2010, 04:05 AM
Mel Chua

Default Fedora 13 Release and Communication

On 03/24/2010 11:50 PM, Nelson Marques wrote:

> Anyone has already prepared and "squated" the Fedora13 (and derivates)
> on facebook and twitter? Planning to use them to support communication
> and try to get some feedback and information from our users ?
>
> nelson

Not to my knowledge, but it wouldn't be a bad thing for a social media
strategy to pick up on. I think Jonathan Nalley was interested in
this as well, and I'm hoping that a student group I'll be meeting on
Tuesday will also be keen on pitching in - if you have a clear idea of
what you think should happen, make it happen!

--Mel

Old 03-25-2010, 04:15 AM
Mel Chua

> Do we have the photo of the twitter diagram that gregdek made
> somewhere? We should probably link it and the logs specific to that
> conversation on the wiki.

I've got a vid of Ryan explaining the diagram at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing_FAD_2010#Photos, though that's
not the most wiki-linkable thing ever.

If someone wants to dig through all the
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing_FAD_2010#Photos, though... I
think Henrik took photos of most of the boards?

--Mel

Old 03-25-2010, 04:19 AM
Robyn Bergeron

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 10:05 PM, Mel Chua <mel@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 03/24/2010 11:50 PM, Nelson Marques wrote:
>>
>> Anyone has already prepared and "squated" the Fedora13 (and derivates)
>> on facebook and twitter? Planning to use them to support communication
>> and try to get some feedback and information from our users ?
>>
>> nelson
>>

> Not to my knowledge, but it wouldn't be a bad thing for a social media
> strategy to pick up on. I think Jonathan Nalley was interested in
> this as well, and I'm hoping that a student group I'll be meeting on
> Tuesday will also be keen on pitching in - if you have a clear idea of
> what you think should happen, make it happen!

Do we have the photo of the twitter diagram that gregdek made
somewhere? We should probably link it and the logs specific to that
conversation on the wiki.

-r

Old 03-25-2010, 08:53 AM
wonderer

Hy,

Am 25.03.2010 06:19, schrieb Robyn Bergeron:
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 10:05 PM, Mel Chua <mel@redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> On 03/24/2010 11:50 PM, Nelson Marques wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone has already prepared and "squated" the Fedora13 (and derivates)
>>> on facebook and twitter? Planning to use them to support communication
>>> and try to get some feedback and information from our users ?
>>>
>>> nelson
>>>

>> Not to my knowledge, but it wouldn't be a bad thing for a social media
>> strategy to pick up on. I think Jonathan Nalley was interested in
>> this as well, and I'm hoping that a student group I'll be meeting on
>> Tuesday will also be keen on pitching in - if you have a clear idea of
>> what you think should happen, make it happen!
>>
> Do we have the photo of the twitter diagram that gregdek made
> somewhere? We should probably link it and the logs specific to that
> conversation on the wiki.

Do you mean http://www.flickr.com/photos/wonderer/4462227596/ ?

best regards
Henrik

Old 03-25-2010, 11:28 AM
Mel Chua

>> Do we have the photo of the twitter diagram that gregdek made
>> somewhere? We should probably link it and the logs specific to that
>> conversation on the wiki.
>>

> Do you mean http://www.flickr.com/photos/wonderer/4462227596/ ?

Perfect! The photo (actually, Henrik, could you CC-BY-SA it?) and logs
and a video summary are now at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing_social_networks#Past_discussions for
future reference.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:38 AM
Jonathan Nalley

Yeah we've been talking up Fedora 13 a little on Twitter but I can't
speak much for the Facebook fan page and I don't even know who
currently has the rights to admin the page.

As Mel alluded to, I am interested in the social media strategy and
improving our social media presence and have started working on some
action items formed in the FAD and that I've also seen written on the
wiki[1]:

I was also interested in starting to tweet a lot about the F13
features[2] and any other talking points[3] that weren't just
features. However, I came to learn that there's reportedly a series
of podcasts about to come out along the same lines and thought I
should wait until those come out so we could link to those as part of
the tweets/dents, etc...

---
[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing_social_networks
[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/13/FeatureList
[3] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_13_Talking_Points

Old 03-25-2010, 11:48 AM
Mel Chua

> I was also interested in starting to tweet a lot about the F13
> features[2] and any other talking points[3] that weren't just
> features. However, I came to learn that there's reportedly a series
> of podcasts about to come out along the same lines and thought I
> should wait until those come out so we could link to those as part of
> the tweets/dents, etc...

One of the things we're going to need to figure out early on is how to
manage these accounts - there are two parts to that, (1) authentication
management (more technical) and (2) content moderation (more
publication-workflow-ish).

Regarding the first: right now the login info is passed from individual
to individual and it's not clear how that happens and it's a single
point of failure which is dangerous. I wonder if there's a way to use
FAS groups to control access to social networking accounts (FAS accounts
to access some tool that can wrangle multiple microblogging accounts? I
think this is what Hiemanshu and Ryan may be working on with
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Identigator) - just thinking out loud
here, but we need a way of dealing with "what if our primary twitter
maintainer gets hit by a raptor?"

Regarding the second: what are the guidelines for what gets tweeted, and
who pushes them? Having someone simply step up and say "I take
responsibility for this, and the stuff I tweet will be the stuff that
gets tweeted, because as the person doing the work I decide how the work
gets done" is a perfectly fine start - and then over time we can figure
out how that person can teach others the judgement criteria he/she is
using to figure out what to write about. (We have done the first one in
the past, we haven't done a good job of supporting the second).

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing_social_networks#Twitter

Which reminds me. Matias, are you reading this list? We're talking about
Twitter.

> [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing_social_networks
> [2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/13/FeatureList
> [3] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_13_Talking_Points

Fantastic. Thanks for taking this on, Jonathan!

Old 03-25-2010, 12:03 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 03:50:31AM +0000, Nelson Marques wrote:

> Anyone has already prepared and "squated" the Fedora13 (and derivates)
> on facebook and twitter? Planning to use them to support communication
> and try to get some feedback and information from our users ?

We have @fedora_linux on Twitter, and I've reached out to @fedora on
Identi.ca to see if we can get keys to that kingdom.

Most of the @fedora<NN> accounts for the next few years seem to be
taken -- which is fine, because we really don't want to split out our
messages to separate accounts for each release. It confuses users if
they want to respond over time, and I suspect most will be using '#'
hashtags anyway.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:07 PM
Jonathan Nalley

Yeah for twitter at least, we use Hootsuite so anyone that's been
granted access to the Fedora Twitter account can login with their own
unique Hootsuite account to manage and use the Twitter account. I
think that was setup when Matias took over to eliminate the SPOF
problem. It's features are really awesome especially in a
group-tweeting scenario and helps you to manage mentions, direct
messages, search feeds, etc... The Identigator concept and discussions
that went on during FAD sounded great and if we're rolling our own
thing I would think it's do-able to link that to FAS??
<fas_ignorance=true>

As far as the guidelines for what gets tweeted, judgement criteria,
etc...you're spot on. It's just kind of been whatever sounds good to
tweet in each person's mind AFAIK. I believe some of that could get
into the target audience discussion we touched on yesterday in IRC...

Old 03-25-2010, 03:08 PM
Nelson Marques

On Thu, 2010-03-25 at 01:05 -0400, Mel Chua wrote:
> On 03/24/2010 11:50 PM, Nelson Marques wrote:
> >
> > Anyone has already prepared and "squated" the Fedora13 (and derivates)
> > on facebook and twitter? Planning to use them to support communication
> > and try to get some feedback and information from our users ?
> >
> > nelson
> >

> Not to my knowledge, but it wouldn't be a bad thing for a social media
> strategy to pick up on. I think Jonathan Nalley was interested in
> this as well, and I'm hoping that a student group I'll be meeting on
> Tuesday will also be keen on pitching in - if you have a clear idea of
> what you think should happen, make it happen!
>
> --Mel

I am not sure that I can involve myself much on this, but I'll try to
gather some documentation on how to exploit social networks for
advertising and pass it on to Jonathan.

I've readed the follow up emails already, and there are things mentioned
that go far beyond my knowledge... I'll try to support this on the
theoretical side and help Jonathan. Glad someone has picked up on this,
because this is easy advertising and there are things we can collect
from this.

I should be able to do some research at school today and provide some
docs soon.

nmarques.

--
Nelson Marques <07721@ipam.pt>