-   -   Talking_points and TalkingPoints.... wiki page questions (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-marketing/344699-talking_points-talkingpoints-wiki-page-questions.html)

Robyn Bergeron 03-21-2010 05:36 AM

Talking_points and TalkingPoints.... wiki page questions

We have two wiki pages titled Talking points...
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Talking_points, which is a category
containing the SOP, template, and historical itemized Talking Points
that are written specifically for each cycle, and also
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing/TalkingPoints - which is more
of a high-level list of talking points that Ambassadors can use which
are more "permanent" in nature and speak more to Fedora's vision,
community, etc. than they do to very specific improvements and
features.

Here are my multiple questions:

#1) I don't have a problem with leaving these pages named as they are
- they both are truly sets of Talking points. Would it be helpful to
at least link into the page the fact that - "Hey, you may be looking
for the -other- talking points" - particularly for people who may be
landing on these wiki pages via search?

#2) http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing/TalkingPoints This page -
which i think is primarily used by Ambassadors, I'm not sure who else
may use it - has not been updated since Feb. 2009. While I think this
page should be fairly stable - we do have a lot of things listed in
this section, http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing/TalkingPoints#Why_Is_the_Fedora_Project_Different. 3F
--- which we could probably revisit from cycle to cycle. Do we have
anything important to add as far as "developments in free and open
software," are the spins listed still applicable, are the derivative
distributions still applicable?

Additionally - should this be added as a separate line item task each
cycle as "Something we need to double check for continuing validity,"
and then - who should the owner be? Obviously it seems to fall under
the "marketing" hat right now - just by looking at the URL hierarchy -
but is this something that the Ambassadors might want to be the owner
of instead? Or - at the bare minimum - do the Ambassadors want to be
notified of when ANYTHING is changed here, so that word can be spread?

Robyn

"Paul W. Frields" 03-22-2010 01:17 AM

On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 11:36:42PM -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
> We have two wiki pages titled Talking points...
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Talking_points, which is a category
> containing the SOP, template, and historical itemized Talking Points
> that are written specifically for each cycle, and also
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing/TalkingPoints - which is more
> of a high-level list of talking points that Ambassadors can use which
> are more "permanent" in nature and speak more to Fedora's vision,
> community, etc. than they do to very specific improvements and
> features.
>
> Here are my multiple questions:
>
> #1) I don't have a problem with leaving these pages named as they are
> - they both are truly sets of Talking points. Would it be helpful to
> at least link into the page the fact that - "Hey, you may be looking
> for the -other- talking points" - particularly for people who may be
> landing on these wiki pages via search?

Ah, the Marketing/TP page is actually just a wrapper around the
existing [[Overview]] page. If it were me, I'd probably *not*
transclude the Overview page, and instead just say "Here's a category
of pages that anyone talking about Fedora should be familiar with,"
and point to [[Category:About_Fedora]], which includes the Overview,
Foundations, and Objectives pages.

> #2) http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing/TalkingPoints This page -
> which i think is primarily used by Ambassadors, I'm not sure who else
> may use it - has not been updated since Feb. 2009. While I think this
> page should be fairly stable - we do have a lot of things listed in
> this section, http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing/TalkingPoints#Why_Is_the_Fedora_Project_Different. 3F
> --- which we could probably revisit from cycle to cycle. Do we have
> anything important to add as far as "developments in free and open
> software," are the spins listed still applicable, are the derivative
> distributions still applicable?

Also part of the [[Overview]] page. The spins listed are all still
current AFAIK.

> Additionally - should this be added as a separate line item task each
> cycle as "Something we need to double check for continuing validity,"
> and then - who should the owner be? Obviously it seems to fall under
> the "marketing" hat right now - just by looking at the URL hierarchy -
> but is this something that the Ambassadors might want to be the owner
> of instead? Or - at the bare minimum - do the Ambassadors want to be
> notified of when ANYTHING is changed here, so that word can be spread?

The [[Overview]] page is part of our fundamental policy pages and is
(somewhat) owned by the Board, but I do agree we should take a look at
this per cycle to make sure it's up to date.

Really, having the [[Marketing/TP]] page wrap an important page like
this is kind of weird and misleading, which is why I'd advocate just
linking to it instead.