FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Marketing

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-21-2010, 03:36 AM
Robyn Bergeron
 
Default Marketing Trac - A little introduction!

Greetings Friends -

I figured that since I just sent out a Call for help on Limesurvey and
referenced Trac... I should introduce everyone to Trac, and more
specifically, the fact that we actually really do have a Marketing
Trac instance, and how to find it, and use it.

Some of you may already be familiar with Trac, and others may not be;
it is, in a nutshell, a ticketing system where tasks or "bugs" can be
assigned to team members. The tickets then can be prioritized (high
priority / needs to be fixed now, low-priority, etc.), tickets can be
assigned to certain projects or larger tasks (F13, Fedora Insight,
Fudcon, Limesurvey, etc.). Tickets can be assigned to willing owners,
or reassigned in the event that a team member can no longer take on
the task.

Trac is important because it helps us have a centralized place where
tasks - or even things like "good ideas we'll get to someday" - are
being tracked, progress can be monitored, and most importantly - we
don't forget anything. We have a great, diverse team with TONS of
ideas - and the last thing we want to have happen is to have those
great ideas get lost in the shuffle. The other awesome thing about
Trac is that it gives us a sense of accomplishment; I'm sure we've all
had the day where we've said, I feel like I've been doing things, but
what have I finished? As a team, this allows us to go back at the end
of each release cycle and definitively say - THIS is what we've
accomplished! - and in the future, look at how many more people we
have who are contributing and accomplishing a larger number of tasks
than the previous cycle. It also does nice things like send email when
you've been assigned tasks, or if you have submitted a ticket - will
send you an email notifying you if the ticket has been modified in
some way, such as changed to fixed, or has been assigned to a new
owner, etc.

I encourage everyone to check out Marketing's Trac instance. I'd like
to add that you need to LOG IN to Trac to do things like submitting or
modifying tickets - but not for viewing tickets. Marketing's Trac
instance uses FAS for logging in (someone, correct me here if I'm
wrong, but I believe that is the case) - so it should be the same
password you would use to log into the Fedora wiki to make edits.
Here are a couple of things of interest to look at to help you get
familiarized:

https://fedorahosted.org/marketing-team/ <--- front-end of Trac.
There is a small bar near the top of the page - it contains clickable
items like "timeline," "view tickets," "roadmap," etc.

https://fedorahosted.org/marketing-team/report <--- a list of varying
reports where you can see Trac tickets in many ways. You can look at
tickets by filters such as "all tickets," "FUDCon tickets", "All F13
tickets," etc. If you're logged in, you can also view the tickets
that you are currently the owner for.

https://fedorahosted.org/marketing-team/newticket <--- page where you
can submit a new ticket, if you are logged in. Tickets don't have to
be for things that are "broken" - tickets can be for regular marketing
deliverables, brainstormed ideas, major multi-step projects, writing
wiki pages, etc.

I'm actually going to be cleaning up our Trac instance over the next
day or two, making sure completed items have been closed out and that
all the deliverables / task items that were identified at the
Marketing FAD have been entered into Trac. If you volunteered for
ownership of any items at the FAD - you'll probably be getting mails
sent to you from Trac over the next few days. Once everything is IN
Trac, I'll be looking for owners for the remaining tasks - you'll be
seeing list mail about that, as well.

Also - I think it would be a great idea to have a Trac SOP for
marketing - how to get to the Marketing Trac, how we use it, the
basics of looking at tickets, creating tickets, closing tickets, etc.
Things like "who do i have to talk to to get additional categories
created," documenting who the current administrators are, etc. would
probably also be helpful for those new to Trac. If anyone is feeling
bold and would like to create their first ticket - this is a great
opportunity. Feel free to assign it to me - and drop a line in
response to this email saying it's been created, and list the ticket
number!

Happy Trac exploring!

-Robyn
--
marketing mailing list
marketing@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing
 
Old 03-22-2010, 03:28 PM
Mel Chua
 
Default Marketing Trac - A little introduction!

<snip the best and most thorough introduction to Trac usage I've ever
seen - thank you, Robyn!>

> Also - I think it would be a great idea to have a Trac SOP for
> marketing - how to get to the Marketing Trac, how we use it, the
> basics of looking at tickets, creating tickets, closing tickets, etc.
> Things like "who do i have to talk to to get additional categories
> created," documenting who the current administrators are, etc. would
> probably also be helpful for those new to Trac. If anyone is feeling
> bold and would like to create their first ticket - this is a great
> opportunity. Feel free to assign it to me - and drop a line in
> response to this email saying it's been created, and list the ticket
> number!

I was about to do this, then realized it'd be a good thing for someone
else who hasn't used Trac yet to do - I'd be happy to walk folks through
this on IRC if they like (mchua on #fedora-mktg).

Something else I've seen done to good effect - keeping meeting agenda
items in Trac (tag the ticket with the keyword 'meeting' and using that
for a queue). I've found that wiki pages are personally easier for me to
look at and update, but if we *really* want to push Trac usage we could
try that out as well.

--Mel
--
marketing mailing list
marketing@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing
 
Old 03-23-2010, 02:18 AM
"Paul W. Frields"
 
Default Marketing Trac - A little introduction!

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 12:28:33PM -0400, Mel Chua wrote:
> <snip the best and most thorough introduction to Trac usage I've ever
> seen - thank you, Robyn!>
>
> > Also - I think it would be a great idea to have a Trac SOP for
> > marketing - how to get to the Marketing Trac, how we use it, the
> > basics of looking at tickets, creating tickets, closing tickets, etc.
> > Things like "who do i have to talk to to get additional categories
> > created," documenting who the current administrators are, etc. would
> > probably also be helpful for those new to Trac. If anyone is feeling
> > bold and would like to create their first ticket - this is a great
> > opportunity. Feel free to assign it to me - and drop a line in
> > response to this email saying it's been created, and list the ticket
> > number!
>
> I was about to do this, then realized it'd be a good thing for someone
> else who hasn't used Trac yet to do - I'd be happy to walk folks through
> this on IRC if they like (mchua on #fedora-mktg).
>
> Something else I've seen done to good effect - keeping meeting agenda
> items in Trac (tag the ticket with the keyword 'meeting' and using that
> for a queue). I've found that wiki pages are personally easier for me to
> look at and update, but if we *really* want to push Trac usage we could
> try that out as well.

I use the Trac method for some meetings and it tends to work well.
I've also seen the wiki method work well. The only difference, I
find, is that you can look at the Trac ticket more easily and see
where action items or other updates move the ticket in and out of
'meeting' status over time. It's nice being able to see that history
in a single glance. Just my $0.02.

--
Paul W. Frields http://paul.frields.org/
gpg fingerprint: 3DA6 A0AC 6D58 FEC4 0233 5906 ACDB C937 BD11 3717
http://redhat.com/ - - - - http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/
Where open source multiplies: http://opensource.com
--
marketing mailing list
marketing@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing
 
Old 03-23-2010, 03:29 AM
Robyn Bergeron
 
Default Marketing Trac - A little introduction!

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 8:18 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 12:28:33PM -0400, Mel Chua wrote:
>> <snip the best and most thorough introduction to Trac usage I've ever
>> seen - thank you, Robyn!>
>>
>> > Also - I think it would be a great idea to have a Trac SOP for
>> > marketing - how to get to the Marketing Trac, how we use it, the
>> > basics of looking at tickets, creating tickets, closing tickets, etc.
>> > Things like "who do i have to talk to to get additional categories
>> > created," documenting who the current administrators are, etc. would
>> > probably also be helpful for those new to Trac. *If anyone is feeling
>> > bold and would like to create their first ticket - this is a great
>> > opportunity. *Feel free to assign it to me - and drop a line in
>> > response to this email saying it's been created, and list the ticket
>> > number!
>>
>> I was about to do this, then realized it'd be a good thing for someone
>> else who hasn't used Trac yet to do - I'd be happy to walk folks through
>> this on IRC if they like (mchua on #fedora-mktg).
>>
>> Something else I've seen done to good effect - keeping meeting agenda
>> items in Trac (tag the ticket with the keyword 'meeting' and using that
>> for a queue). I've found that wiki pages are personally easier for me to
>> look at and update, but if we *really* want to push Trac usage we could
>> try that out as well.
>
> I use the Trac method for some meetings and it tends to work well.
> I've also seen the wiki method work well. *The only difference, I
> find, is that you can look at the Trac ticket more easily and see
> where action items or other updates move the ticket in and out of
> 'meeting' status over time. *It's nice being able to see that history
> in a single glance. *Just my $0.02.

Well - I think it would be interesting to try, if nothing else. It
seems like a lot of info gets lost in meeting logs that could be
converted into more useful information if we had it in trac.

If anyone else is interested - would we maybe want to consider trying
this for a 3-month period, and assess at the end of that time how we
think it went? I'm thinking... starting first meeting of April, May,
June, and have a review at a mktg meeting in July where we can discuss
effectiveness in terms of (a) meeting organization and (b) if we're
able to keep track of tasks people are committing to in a better
fashion.

(Or any other measurements we can think of - I just don't want us all
to be sitting around in a meeting saying, "yeah, I -think- it worked
okay," etc.)

Thoughts?


>
> --
> Paul W. Frields * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *http://paul.frields.org/
> *gpg fingerprint: 3DA6 A0AC 6D58 FEC4 0233 *5906 ACDB C937 BD11 3717
> *http://redhat.com/ * - *- *- *- * http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/
> * * * * *Where open source multiplies: http://opensource.com
> --
> marketing mailing list
> marketing@lists.fedoraproject.org
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing
>
--
marketing mailing list
marketing@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing
 
Old 03-23-2010, 03:47 AM
Mel Chua
 
Default Marketing Trac - A little introduction!

> Well - I think it would be interesting to try, if nothing else. It
> seems like a lot of info gets lost in meeting logs that could be
> converted into more useful information if we had it in trac.

Let's try it out for tomorrow's meeting. I just converted our agenda on
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing_meetings#Agenda to a Trac query
(I timed it and it took me 6 minutes).

Take a look at
https://fedorahosted.org/marketing-team/query?status=new&status=assigned&status=reopened&k eywords=%7Emeeting&order=priority
and you'll get the tickets - see you all at the meeting in a bit.

--Mel
--
marketing mailing list
marketing@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing
 
Old 03-23-2010, 05:45 PM
"Paul W. Frields"
 
Default Marketing Trac - A little introduction!

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 12:47:02AM -0400, Mel Chua wrote:
> > Well - I think it would be interesting to try, if nothing else. It
> > seems like a lot of info gets lost in meeting logs that could be
> > converted into more useful information if we had it in trac.
>
> Let's try it out for tomorrow's meeting. I just converted our agenda on
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing_meetings#Agenda to a Trac query
> (I timed it and it took me 6 minutes).
>
> Take a look at
> https://fedorahosted.org/marketing-team/query?status=new&status=assigned&status=reopened&k eywords=%7Emeeting&order=priority
> and you'll get the tickets - see you all at the meeting in a bit.

Great work Mel!

There is a chance I'll be a bit late to the Marketing meeting this
week. I have a meeting with my manager at 3:00pm that could run
overtime, depending on his schedule and our shared agenda. I'll join
as soon as I can.

--
Paul W. Frields http://paul.frields.org/
gpg fingerprint: 3DA6 A0AC 6D58 FEC4 0233 5906 ACDB C937 BD11 3717
http://redhat.com/ - - - - http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/
Where open source multiplies: http://opensource.com
--
marketing mailing list
marketing@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:39 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org