Old 03-19-2010, 03:27 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

Default SystemTap podcast numbers

At yesterday's weekly meeting I said I would look up the statistics
from the podcast I did for the F12 release on SystemTap features. We
had about 750 downloads from about 150 unique IP addresses for that
podcast.

I would estimate I spent about 6-8 hours total on creating it,
including the interview, editing, and helping write the press blog
around it. If doing one again, I would measure it as being successful
if I could at lesat double that number. If not, I'd be disinclined to
do another for the F14 cycle.

One of the steps we should take now is finding out the venues where we
can publish these podcasts for highest visibility in the interim until
Insight is ready to handle offering them. Anyone producing one of
these should expect them, once approved/posted, to show up in searches
on various popular podcast directories.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:45 PM
Robyn Bergeron

750 downloads from 150 unique ip addresses? .... that seems really
weird. Or am I missing an interim step, where it's something like...
the 150 unique IPs are podcast directories, and each directory brought
in an average of 5-6 listeners?

Old 03-22-2010, 12:33 AM
Paul Frields

There are many reasons we might see multiple hits from a single IP
address. Stopping/starting the downloads, or listening in part and
then downloading... A corporate firewall or NAT shows one IP address
so multiple hits from inside would show up as a single IP address as
well.

I think the numbers are mostly interesting from an order-of-magnitude POV.

Paul

Old 03-22-2010, 12:47 AM
David Nalley

Old 03-22-2010, 12:52 AM
Stephen John Smoogen

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 7:33 PM, Paul Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:
> There are many reasons we might see multiple hits from a single IP
> address. Stopping/starting the downloads, or listening in part and
> then downloading... A corporate firewall or NAT shows one IP address
> so multiple hits from inside would show up as a single IP address as
> well.
>
> I think the numbers are mostly interesting from an order-of-magnitude POV.

My guess is that we had 150 downloads and the program broke the
downloads into 5 parts to cut down net load. We would have to look at
the size of the download part to see if it was the entire file or a
part of it.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.

-- Robert Browning

Old 03-22-2010, 02:40 AM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 09:47:50PM -0400, David Nalley wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 12:27 PM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > At yesterday's weekly meeting I said I would look up the statistics
> > from the podcast I did for the F12 release on SystemTap features. We
> > had about 750 downloads from about 150 unique IP addresses for that
> > podcast.
> >
> > I would estimate I spent about 6-8 hours total on creating it,
> > including the interview, editing, and helping write the press blog
> > around it. If doing one again, I would measure it as being successful
> > if I could at lesat double that number. If not, I'd be disinclined to
> > do another for the F14 cycle.
> >
> > One of the steps we should take now is finding out the venues where we
> > can publish these podcasts for highest visibility in the interim until
> > Insight is ready to handle offering them. Anyone producing one of
> > these should expect them, once approved/posted, to show up in searches
> > on various popular podcast directories.
>

> I'd guess hacker public radio (hackerpublicradio.org) would be one of
> those venues. Last I heard they had around 10k subscribers, and they
> let you drop content whenever you are able, so no long term
> commitment. (My LUG puts our monthly recorded meetings up for
> instance.)
> I know droops and can ask him what else we need to do to get some content up.
> Off the top of my head I can't think of any others, but I am sure
> that's just my lack of knowledge - I'll ask some of my friends who do
> podcasts where they push their stuff.

That would be great, thanks Dave.

I know that our friend klaatu puts content up at HPR as well.