-   -   F13 (and onward) default bookmarks (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-marketing/342070-f13-onward-default-bookmarks.html)

Max Spevack 03-15-2010 08:02 PM

F13 (and onward) default bookmarks

Hi,

One of the things we noticed in the Marketing FAD is that Fedora doesn't
have a standardized process for keeping the default bookmarks that we
ship in fedora-bookmarks.rpm updated.

I've taken the liberty of cleaning up the following page, which hadn't
been touched in several releases:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Bookmarks

I'd like to get the following issues sorted out:

(1) The format in which the fedora-bookmarks package owner (Matthias)
would like the bookmarks for any given release to be delivered. Is what
I've done ok, or would you prefer something else?

(2) Checkpoints added to the schedule by which time Marketing needs to
have the bookmarks for that release (whether alpha, beta, final, etc.)
in the format defined in (1) so that they can be added to the release,
and so that Marketing can make sure it does its job here properly.

I know this is a relatively small piece of the release, but the
bookmarks that we ship by default do have the potential to reach a lot
of people, so we should be looking them over periodically.

Thanks,
Max

Max Spevack 03-15-2010 08:21 PM

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010, Matthias Clasen wrote:

>> One of the things we noticed in the Marketing FAD is that Fedora
>> doesn't have a standardized process for keeping the default bookmarks
>> that we ship in fedora-bookmarks.rpm updated.
>>
>> I've taken the liberty of cleaning up the following page, which
>> hadn't been touched in several releases:
>>
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Bookmarks
>>
>> I'd like to get the following issues sorted out:
>>
>> (1) The format in which the fedora-bookmarks package owner (Matthias)
>> would like the bookmarks for any given release to be delivered. Is
>> what I've done ok, or would you prefer something else?
>
> I am the owner ? Surprise. I'd be very happy to give that up to
> someone who has the bandwidth to keep this package up-to-date. If
> marketing wants to play an active role there, feel free to take this
> over.
>
> I don't think I have ever touched the package, really. In the past,
> caillon was involved with bookmark stuff.

Now you can see why I want to get all of this stuff process-ized, and
why I threw up a strawman for F13 Beta.

/me waits to hear what caillon and/or poelstra say.

--Max

Christopher Aillon 03-15-2010 08:43 PM

On 03/15/2010 02:14 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 17:02 -0400, Max Spevack wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> One of the things we noticed in the Marketing FAD is that Fedora doesn't
>> have a standardized process for keeping the default bookmarks that we
>> ship in fedora-bookmarks.rpm updated.
>>
>> I've taken the liberty of cleaning up the following page, which hadn't
>> been touched in several releases:
>>
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Bookmarks
>>
>> I'd like to get the following issues sorted out:
>>
>> (1) The format in which the fedora-bookmarks package owner (Matthias)
>> would like the bookmarks for any given release to be delivered. Is what
>> I've done ok, or would you prefer something else?
>
> I am the owner ? Surprise. I'd be very happy to give that up to someone
> who has the bandwidth to keep this package up-to-date. If marketing
> wants to play an active role there, feel free to take this over.
>
> I don't think I have ever touched the package, really. In the past,
> caillon was involved with bookmark stuff.

Yeah, I wonder how that got assigned to Matthias. Every other release
in pkgdb shows it as me, and I'm pretty sure I haven't ever tried
assigning it to anyone other than in marketing.

Max, is there a better person to maintain this? I'm okay with co-owing
and helping out the new maintainer, but I probably shouldn't be the
primary owner.

For the time being though, I can make the change if this is what
marketing's agreed on.

Let me know.

Max Spevack 03-15-2010 08:49 PM

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010, Christopher Aillon wrote:

> Max, is there a better person to maintain this? I'm okay with
> co-owing and helping out the new maintainer, but I probably shouldn't
> be the primary owner.

I assume that from a package ownership point of view, this is virtually
trivial? Is there *anything* difficult about integrating this package
into the rest of Firefox & the distro, or is it really basically the
easiest package in all of Fedora to own, and could be taken off of your
hands entirely, thus freeing you of this every-now-and-then ping?

> For the time being though, I can make the change if this is what
> marketing's agreed on.

I'd like to let people take a look at the proposal for F13 and ack it in
the next Fedora Marketing meeting, then get the update done by either
you or a new owner.

--Max

Max Spevack 03-15-2010 08:53 PM

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010, Max Spevack wrote:

> I assume that from a package ownership point of view, this is
> virtually trivial? Is there *anything* difficult about integrating
> this package into the rest of Firefox & the distro, or is it really
> basically the easiest package in all of Fedora to own, and could be
> taken off of your hands entirely, thus freeing you of this
> every-now-and-then ping?

Here's an actual question:

When I took the fedora-bookmarks.html page and removed some stale ones
and added some new ones, I didn't worry about any of the metadata that
went with the bookmarks.

Compare:

<DT><A HREF="http://fedoraproject.org/"
ADD_DATE="1158286779" LAST_VISIT="1176675005" LAST_MODIFIED="1176675285"
LAST_CHARSET="UTF-8" ID="rdf:#$c7+Ar2">Fedora Project</A>
<DD>Home of the Fedora Project.

Versus:

<DT><A HREF="http://opensource.com/">OpenSource.com</A>
<DD>Open Source applied to the world.

How much does the metadata matter?

--Max

Christopher Aillon 03-15-2010 11:59 PM

On 03/15/2010 02:49 PM, Max Spevack wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Mar 2010, Christopher Aillon wrote:
>
>> Max, is there a better person to maintain this? I'm okay with co-owing
>> and helping out the new maintainer, but I probably shouldn't be the
>> primary owner.
>
> I assume that from a package ownership point of view, this is virtually
> trivial? Is there *anything* difficult about integrating this package
> into the rest of Firefox & the distro, or is it really basically the
> easiest package in all of Fedora to own, and could be taken off of your
> hands entirely, thus freeing you of this every-now-and-then ping?

It's got some work to it, but not much. I created the package with ease
of packaging in mind.

Basically, to bump it, one would do the following:

* Add the bookmarks to your running Firefox
* Find the top level 'Bookmarks' menu, then click 'Organize Bookmarks'
* Click 'Import & Backup' > 'Export HTML'
* save the file
* To make legal happy, remove any ICON="..." occurrences in the file. I
generally just gedit and manually remove them.
* Load the file in firefox (File > Open File) just to sanity check
* Overwrite default-bookmarks.html in the package directory
* Bump the spec file and add a changelog entry
* commit, tag, build

>> For the time being though, I can make the change if this is what
>> marketing's agreed on.
>
> I'd like to let people take a look at the proposal for F13 and ack it in
> the next Fedora Marketing meeting, then get the update done by either
> you or a new owner.

Sure. Let me know.

Christopher Aillon 03-16-2010 12:01 AM

On 03/15/2010 02:53 PM, Max Spevack wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Mar 2010, Max Spevack wrote:
>
>> I assume that from a package ownership point of view, this is
>> virtually trivial? Is there *anything* difficult about integrating
>> this package into the rest of Firefox & the distro, or is it really
>> basically the easiest package in all of Fedora to own, and could be
>> taken off of your hands entirely, thus freeing you of this
>> every-now-and-then ping?
>
> Here's an actual question:
>
> When I took the fedora-bookmarks.html page and removed some stale ones
> and added some new ones, I didn't worry about any of the metadata that
> went with the bookmarks.
>
> Compare:
>
> <DT><A HREF="http://fedoraproject.org/" ADD_DATE="1158286779"
> LAST_VISIT="1176675005" LAST_MODIFIED="1176675285" LAST_CHARSET="UTF-8"
> ID="rdf:#$c7+Ar2">Fedora Project</A>
> <DD>Home of the Fedora Project.
>
> Versus:
>
> <DT><A HREF="http://opensource.com/">OpenSource.com</A>
> <DD>Open Source applied to the world.
>
> How much does the metadata matter?

Man, good question. I think that it might be required per the actual
spec, but I don't know how much it matters in practice. Anyway, it's
pretty easy to do things the way I outlined in my last mail, so I
typically just do it that way which adds all the needed tags, though I
do have to manually strip out the ICON ones...

Max Spevack 03-17-2010 02:19 PM

F13 (and onward) default bookmarks

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010, Christopher Aillon wrote:

> Man, good question. I think that it might be required per the actual
> spec, but I don't know how much it matters in practice. Anyway, it's
> pretty easy to do things the way I outlined in my last mail, so I
> typically just do it that way which adds all the needed tags, though I
> do have to manually strip out the ICON ones...

Chris,

I'll go about generating the file per your previous email, and then get
back in touch with you about packaging.

What's the drop-dead date for including an updated fedora-bookmarks in
F13 Beta?

Thanks,
Max

Christopher Aillon 03-17-2010 02:26 PM

On 03/17/2010 08:19 AM, Max Spevack wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Mar 2010, Christopher Aillon wrote:
>
>> Man, good question. I think that it might be required per the actual
>> spec, but I don't know how much it matters in practice. Anyway, it's
>> pretty easy to do things the way I outlined in my last mail, so I
>> typically just do it that way which adds all the needed tags, though I
>> do have to manually strip out the ICON ones...
>
> Chris,
>
> I'll go about generating the file per your previous email, and then get
> back in touch with you about packaging.
>
> What's the drop-dead date for including an updated fedora-bookmarks in
> F13 Beta?

Work quickly! Beta freeze is Tuesday.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/13/Schedule

Mel Chua 03-18-2010 11:27 AM

F13 (and onward) default bookmarks

> Basically, to bump it, one would do the following:

I made a (starter) https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Release_bookmarks_SOP
from Chris's instructions.

How do we make sure this process happens every release if Chris decides
this is an easy package that $somebody_else should own (to take a tiny
bit more weight off his shoulders)?

--Mel