Old 03-18-2010, 10:31 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

Default F13 (and onward) default bookmarks

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 08:27:53AM -0400, Mel Chua wrote:
> > Basically, to bump it, one would do the following:
>
> I made a (starter) https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Release_bookmarks_SOP
> from Chris's instructions.
>
> How do we make sure this process happens every release if Chris decides
> this is an easy package that $somebody_else should own (to take a tiny
> bit more weight off his shoulders)?

Set a schedule item up with the Fedora program manager. We simply
check in at an opportune time before the final development freeze
(pre-Beta, i.e. where we are right now for F13, seems just fine)
to see whether changes are needed, and if so, whether a change of
hands is needed/desired.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:20 AM
Mel Chua

On 03/18/2010 07:31 PM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 08:27:53AM -0400, Mel Chua wrote:
>>> Basically, to bump it, one would do the following:
>>
>> I made a (starter) https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Release_bookmarks_SOP
>> from Chris's instructions.
>>
>> How do we make sure this process happens every release if Chris decides
>> this is an easy package that $somebody_else should own (to take a tiny
>> bit more weight off his shoulders)?
>
> Set a schedule item up with the Fedora program manager. We simply
> check in at an opportune time before the final development freeze
> (pre-Beta, i.e. where we are right now for F13, seems just fine)
> to see whether changes are needed, and if so, whether a change of
> hands is needed/desired.

/me pings the poelcat (hi, John!)

Paul, were you suggesting that this be added to the marketing schedule,
or some other schedule? (doesn't matter to me, though if it can be
foisted on someone else that's entirely fine.

--Mel

Old 03-19-2010, 04:40 AM
John Poelstra

Mel Chua said the following on 03/18/2010 08:20 PM Pacific Time:

>>> I made a (starter) https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Release_bookmarks_SOP
>>> from Chris's instructions.
>>>
>>> How do we make sure this process happens every release if Chris decides
>>> this is an easy package that $somebody_else should own (to take a tiny
>>> bit more weight off his shoulders)?
>>
>> Set a schedule item up with the Fedora program manager. We simply
>> check in at an opportune time before the final development freeze
>> (pre-Beta, i.e. where we are right now for F13, seems just fine)
>> to see whether changes are needed, and if so, whether a change of
>> hands is needed/desired.
>
> /me pings the poelcat (hi, John!)
>
> Paul, were you suggesting that this be added to the marketing schedule,
> or some other schedule? (doesn't matter to me, though if it can be
> foisted on someone else that's entirely fine.
>
> --Mel

It makes sense to me to add it to the marketing schedule if you guys
plan to own this tasks. I also have your request from IRC to make the
other addition to the schedule too, though it may take me a little time
to get to it.

John

Old 03-19-2010, 04:59 AM
Mel Chua

On 03/19/2010 01:40 AM, John Poelstra wrote:
> Mel Chua said the following on 03/18/2010 08:20 PM Pacific Time:

>>> Set a schedule item up with the Fedora program manager. We simply
>>> check in at an opportune time before the final development freeze
>>> (pre-Beta, i.e. where we are right now for F13, seems just fine)
>>> to see whether changes are needed, and if so, whether a change of
>>> hands is needed/desired.
>>
>> /me pings the poelcat (hi, John!)
>>
>> Paul, were you suggesting that this be added to the marketing schedule,
>> or some other schedule? (doesn't matter to me, though if it can be
>> foisted on someone else that's entirely fine.
>>
>> --Mel
>>

> It makes sense to me to add it to the marketing schedule if you guys
> plan to own this tasks. I also have your request from IRC to make the
> other addition to the schedule too, though it may take me a little time
> to get to it.

Worksforme on both counts - thanks, John!

--Mel

Old 03-22-2010, 07:05 PM
Max Spevack

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010, Christopher Aillon wrote:

> Work quickly! Beta freeze is Tuesday.

Hey Chris,

Take a look here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Bookmarks

I've got a link on that page (and below as [1]) to the updated
default-bookmarks.html and the updated spec file. You can give the spec
file a sanity check (I bumped version & release, added changelog), and
then hopefully get the package updated for the beta freeze.

I'd like to revisit the formal ownership of the package post F13. For
the moment, I just want to get the updated file in.

Thanks for your help, and shout if I've screwed something up.

--Max

[1] http://mspevack.fedorapeople.org/fedora-13-bookmarks/

Old 03-23-2010, 02:04 AM
David Nalley

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 4:05 PM, Max Spevack <mspevack@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Mar 2010, Christopher Aillon wrote:
>
>> Work quickly! *Beta freeze is Tuesday.
>
> Hey Chris,
>
> Take a look here:
>
> * * * *https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Bookmarks
>
> I've got a link on that page (and below as [1]) to the updated
> default-bookmarks.html and the updated spec file. *You can give the spec
> file a sanity check (I bumped version & release, added changelog), and
> then hopefully get the package updated for the beta freeze.
>
> I'd like to revisit the formal ownership of the package post F13. *For
> the moment, I just want to get the updated file in.
>
> Thanks for your help, and shout if I've screwed something up.
>
> --Max
>
> [1] http://mspevack.fedorapeople.org/fedora-13-bookmarks/

This is one reason that I think that marketing (and most other groups
within Fedora) need some people who pick up packaging on the side.
Docs had a similar experience and simply handed things like Release
Notes over the wall to people like Jesse Keating to get included.
There are now several packagers within the group and they handle this
themselves.
Taking ownership of the entire process is a good thing, long term IMO.
It also doesn't hurt to lean a bit more about another facet of Fedora.