Old 03-13-2010, 08:28 PM
Nelson Marques

Default Mumble

I would just like to point to Mumble as a tool we can most likely
consider using. I've been a spectator on this FAD while I could actually
be more participative.

I've never used mumble before, but it's available for Fedora 12, and it
seems to work properly.

Means everyone would need a headset or something alike, but yeah, even
those who don't like wire's can use bluetooth devices and such. This
would most likely improve communication on such meeting for people on
the other side of the globe.

For Reference: http://mumble.sourceforge.net/

Nelson.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:34 PM
Nelson Marques

By the way, Mumble is the client software and Murmur is the Server
software.

Both are available on Fedora repo online and can be installed through
yum.

nelson

Old 03-13-2010, 08:34 PM
wonderer

Hy there,

I also did a while back some research for some kind of audio-solution
for Interviewing people. So, podcasting could be much more easier. The
thing (mostly) is that the talking-partner has to set up a kind of
program and that you often not know how good he or she is in setting up
all kinds of audio thingys, etc.
What I found so far can be found at
http://www.braincache.de/wp/2009/08/28/conferencing-tools/
Paul also pointed me at that time to fedoratalk wich we maybe also could
stream (did not look for conference-room ability's), but I do not know
about the requirements for the Server if we rum up to like 10-20 remote
participants.
I'm not so comfortable with that mumble thing, because it looks pretty
much like a "normal" enduser VOIP client and not so much for streaming,
conferencing and also recording tool. but maybe there is a testserver
anywhere out there you can test it and we see if and how it works.

mit freundlichen Grüßen / best regards
Henrik Heigl - wonderer@fedoraproject.org

PGP/GnuPG: 8237 D432 0616 D567 DBC6 3FE3 0D52 B374 F468 A5F0

Old 03-13-2010, 08:37 PM
Nelson Marques

Old 03-13-2010, 10:30 PM
Jon Stanley

What is wrong with the existing asterisk service for this purpose?

Jon, on his cell.

On 3/13/10, Nelson Marques <07721@ipam.pt> wrote:

> By the way, any possibility that we can run a official Fedora server, at
> least for the Marketing team. This would approach us more and eventually
> we could actually speak. I have such a sweat voice
>
> nelson
>
> On Sat, 2010-03-13 at 21:28 +0000, Nelson Marques wrote:
>> I would just like to point to Mumble as a tool we can most likely
>> consider using. I've been a spectator on this FAD while I could actually
>> be more participative.
>>
>> I've never used mumble before, but it's available for Fedora 12, and it
>> seems to work properly.
>>
>> Means everyone would need a headset or something alike, but yeah, even
>> those who don't like wire's can use bluetooth devices and such. This
>> would most likely improve communication on such meeting for people on
>> the other side of the globe.
>>
>> For Reference: http://mumble.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> Nelson.

Sent from my mobile device

Old 03-14-2010, 01:41 PM
Nelson Marques

On Sat, 2010-03-13 at 18:30 -0500, Jon Stanley wrote:
> What is wrong with the existing asterisk service for this purpose?
>
> Jon, on his cell.

Nothing and Everything. I'm sorry to say, but to use
mumble/ventrilo/teamspeak, which handle hundreds of clients (not sure on
mumble, but Teamspeak and Ventrilo can do it) and provide decent
features, would just make us a bit more closer to each other.

I'm using this for years in several game communities (I've also helped
a Northern American provider based in Illinois with their
infra-structure in the past, 2004-2007).

This would just make us closer I guess and communicate in real time. As
long as you have internet connection and some kind of microphone (all
laptops should be prepared for this under rough conditions), you can
communicate jsut like in IRC, but through voice).

Even on those days when we're off work we can speak a bit about
everything and nothing if we have such service available, chill out,
laugh a bit with each other... The possibilities are kinda infinite.

I guess ease of usage would a great pro. Asterisk has different goals
from this. Anyway, was just a suggestion. I was going to actually
mention Ventrilo, but found this open source software which seems to be
pretty good as well.

nelson.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:07 PM
Ryan Rix

On Sun 14 March 2010 10:41:44 am Nelson Marques wrote:
> Nothing and Everything. I'm sorry to say, but to use
> mumble/ventrilo/teamspeak, which handle hundreds of clients (not sure on
> mumble, but Teamspeak and Ventrilo can do it) and provide decent
> features, would just make us a bit more closer to each other.
>
> I'm using this for years in several game communities (I've also helped
> a Northern American provider based in Illinois with their
> infra-structure in the past, 2004-2007).
>
> This would just make us closer I guess and communicate in real time. As
> long as you have internet connection and some kind of microphone (all
> laptops should be prepared for this under rough conditions), you can
> communicate jsut like in IRC, but through voice).
>
> Even on those days when we're off work we can speak a bit about
> everything and nothing if we have such service available, chill out,
> laugh a bit with each other... The possibilities are kinda infinite.
>
> I guess ease of usage would a great pro. Asterisk has different goals
> from this. Anyway, was just a suggestion. I was going to actually
> mention Ventrilo, but found this open source software which seems to be
> pretty good as well.
>
> nelson.

Or you could dial into the asterisk server You can call from ekiga with
minimal setup or from a land line which is documented on the site
http://talk.fedoraproject.org/

easy peasy
--
Ryan Rix

Old 03-16-2010, 04:56 AM
Karsten Wade

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 02:41:44PM +0000, Nelson Marques wrote:

> This would just make us closer I guess and communicate in real time. As
> long as you have internet connection and some kind of microphone (all
> laptops should be prepared for this under rough conditions), you can
> communicate jsut like in IRC, but through voice).
>
> Even on those days when we're off work we can speak a bit about
> everything and nothing if we have such service available, chill out,
> laugh a bit with each other... The possibilities are kinda infinite.
>
> I guess ease of usage would a great pro. Asterisk has different goals
> from this. Anyway, was just a suggestion. I was going to actually
> mention Ventrilo, but found this open source software which seems to be
> pretty good as well.

Others have already pointed out that we have these exact features in
Asterisk at talk.fedoraproject.org. You can setup a conference room
which people can reach through a SIP client (softphone such as Ekiga
or Twinkle, or a SIP handset.) It's integrated with Fedora, etc. and
has a few direct-dial numbers for when people cannot get SIP to work.

There is another and different point to discuss.

When Fedora Infrastructure was first considering setting up
talk.fp.org, Mike McGrath voiced a strong concern about what would
happen with our radically transparent culture if we started conducting
community business in voice rooms. Since then, we have had a number
of informal discussions about this, and perhaps it's time to set up a
wiki page and get down the specifics. (I added some of this content to
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Talk .)

For pure social communities, it is probably unimportant that voice
chat creates a significant barrier to many potential participants.
Social communities are somewhat selective by nature, and what one is
socializing around is often exclusive-creating in itself, whether it's
gaming or brew pubs.

In an open source community of practice[1] such as the Fedora Project,
it is a very important consideration. Here's a quick list of the
problems that arise when voice is used as part of conducting community
activities:

* It excludes people who cannot hear, who cannot understand English,
or cannot understand the accent of the speaker(s). Meetings that
are conducted via voice exclude all of those people from
participating.

* It is difficult to obtain a log of the discussion (a transcript.)
Any notes or summaries are always interpreted by the people doing
the writing and generally focus on the conclusions and decisions. A
chat log or a email list discussion can be archived and referred
back to later to understand why something was done.

* It's hard or impossible to have multiple threaded discussions in
voice; generally only one person at a time can speak. This presents
challenges to anyone who feels uncomfortable speaking in public or a
group. People who can otherwise participate in a written
English-only discussion may not be able to participate in a voice
only discussion.

* Translation is very difficult with voice, unless a full transcript
is provided. This excludes a sizeable part of the Fedora
contributors.

The above is now at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Talk under
the section "Why be careful?"

Thanks for "listening" ;-) - Karsten

[1] http://theopensourceway.org/wiki/Community_of_practice
--
name: Karsten 'quaid' Wade, Sr. Community Gardener
team: Red Hat Community Architecture