Old 03-12-2010, 10:03 PM
Joerg Simon

Default Question related to the event I am organizing in Portugal to promote Fedora.

Am Freitag, 12. März 2010 23:54:36 schrieb Nelson Marques:
> Dear all,
> I know I was refered to the Ambassadors list in the past regarding
> this. But from my scope this is a Marketing issue.

Marketing Team can you help with ideas but Ambassadors are the people who get
the Event done!

You should start to list your Event at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Events
there are also some Ressources for organizing an event.

Ressources in Tracked in EMEA -
https://fedorahosted.org/emea-swag-tracking/
https://fedorahosted.org/emea-swag-tracking/wiki/Inventory

cu Joerg

--
Joerg (kital) Simon
jsimon@fedoraproject.org

Old 03-16-2010, 03:11 AM
Karsten Wade

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 10:54:36PM +0000, Nelson Marques wrote:

> But from my scope this is a Marketing issue.

OK, I hear what you are saying. I do see some of your items as
probably marketing related. Still, it is often Ambassadors who do
these items, but _maybe_ they should be overseen by Marketing.

Here are the items I see:

> I am working on a
> document in Portuguese to present them, which is also a base for another
> document to be presented to some institutions which are
> local/national/international Industry leaders, such as Portugal Telecom
> to be involved on this event.

Is this document generic and can be applied to more than one event?

Can it be written in a general (generic) way?

> My question is directed to everyone, engineering personal, marketing,
> artists, etc. We are trying to gather more people to become involved on
> fedora, not only just my institute, but other contributors like artists,
> packagers, etc.

Is your question directed _inward_ for Fedora Project, looking for
people to be involved in a specific event or/

Or is it directed _outward_ trying to draw those people in to the
Fedora Project? If yes, where is the question asked? In the document
you are writing in Portugese?

BTW, I approve of writing in one's native language and then having it
translated, to English if necessary.

> What has been done in the past? Anyone wants to share some experiences
> they had previously? If my institute gets involved, I'm hitting the
> national industry (over 240.000 small/medium business, and the heavy
> weights as well, like Portugal Telecom), and I will have cooperation for
> communication campaign and such.

What has been done in the past in what way?

If your questions are mainly about creating or being involved in an
event, the Ambassadors have the experience and help get it done.

If you are looking to write and use general materials, maybe Marketing
is the right place to discuss.

> How can we envolve the Fedora community on this? What do we want to
> safekeep? And how can the Marketing Team get involved, because after
> all, I am a Marketing student, and I want to promote open source
> marketing as well. My image is on stake here, between my friends at
> school, before my own institute and before the local industry.
>
> What materials do we have that can be used?
> Can we establish a link with someone on the artwork team wishing to
> help us?

As your plans come together, you can ask the Design Team for help.
Ambassadors has experience here, too.

> From my scope, I am planning to document everything for future usage by
> whoever wants to organize such an event. If my institute gets involved,
> this means I have the opportunity to work with Marketing Professionals
> from my institute and rally support on teachers for the campaign. There
> a lot we all can learn.
>
> And if Fedora can provide a Marketing Team speaker to give a conference
> on Open Source Marketing, this would be great. I will approach soon
> (once I have the dates) the Aveiro City Hall, so that this Fedora event
> is a part of the City's cultural program (free advertisement ), as I
> am approaching some Hotel's so that they can sponsor the event (would be
> great at zero cost, if not, I'll try to get special prices for anyone
> traveling here).
>
> Yes I am motivated!
> Yes I want to shake this country!
> Yes I want to promote open source!
> Yes I want to succeed as a future marketing professional!
> And yes, I do have lots of eyes looking at me already

There is the concept of 'strategy' and 'tactics'. Strategy, in this
case, would think about, "Is telecom a good area for Fedora
Ambassadors to concentrate effort?" Tactics, in this case, would
think about, "Now that I know I am going to concentrate on telecom,
how do I go about it?"

In general, Fedora Project Marketing and Ambassadors separate their
focuses this way:

* The Marketing team is trying to be the strategic voice -- understand
and help set the larger approach to open marketing of Fedora.

* The Ambassador team is the tactical voice -- understanding and doing
the actual work of open marketing of Fedora.

One important difference from other Marketing approaches is that in
Fedora, it is sometimes the individual ambassadors who decide where
they personally want to put their effort.

So, as you share the success of your work on
e.g. planet.fedoraproject.org, the Marketing people will see that it
may have further strategic focus.

Finally, it appears we have a strong need for useful marketing
materials that ambassadors can use. We've talked about this a long
time, too. Some people who care need to not only create and collect,
but find a way to curate such a collection. Things change rapidly,
content needs regular updates, and it can be a lot of work for one or
a small group. Perhaps Fedora Insight has some role to play here.

Does any of this help?

- Karsten
--
name: Karsten 'quaid' Wade, Sr. Community Gardener
team: Red Hat Community Architecture

Old 03-16-2010, 03:28 PM
Mel Chua

> How can we involve the Fedora community on this?

By doing exactly what you're doing now, and continuing to do it - keep
working on it yourself, talking publicly about what you're doing and
what you're thinking about, and putting out requests for help and
calls-to-action whenever possible.

It doesn't guarantee that people will help - but it increases the
chances that they will, eventually, pitch in. Sometimes, continuing to
"work out loud" is the most important thing you can do; people are
watching, even if they don't speak, and it is *very* hard to predict
what the magic words are that will trigger an individual contributor to
jumping in - so just keep telling us what you're doing, telling us what
you're doing, and telling us what you're doing, and when we can help, we
will.

> And how can the Marketing Team get involved, because after
> all, I am a Marketing student, and I want to promote open source
> marketing as well.

You could always help the Marketing students and professionals there
join the team and find something to work on. Getting them on IRC, the
mailing list, getting them to introduce themselves and ask questions
about how they can help - we'll find something for them to do.

> What materials do we have that can be used?
> Can we establish a link with someone on the artwork team wishing to
> help us?

Yep. The Design team has a mailing list
(https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/design-team), and also
an IRC channel (#fedora-design) and if you ask there you may be able to
find someone to help out.

I know I'm saying things like "may be able to find someone to help" a
lot - this isn't to be discouraging, or to say people *won't* help -
they probably will - but since we're generally volunteers around here, I
can't guarantee the participation of anyone other than myself. Think
of it as popping your head into a room of friends and saying "hey, does
anyone want to help out with this?" They might, they might not, but if
you keep on popping in and asking, and showing that you're working
towards this on your own ("hey, I'm halfway done - who wants to help me
finish?" "Hey, this person came and joined me and now we're 80% done,
who wants to help us finish?") people become more likely to step up and
join you over time. Momentum builds momentum.

> From my scope, I am planning to document everything for future usage by
> whoever wants to organize such an event. If my institute gets involved,
> this means I have the opportunity to work with Marketing Professionals
> from my institute and rally support on teachers for the campaign. There
> a lot we all can learn.

Excellent! This is great, Nelson - please keep us in the loop!

> And if Fedora can provide a Marketing Team speaker to give a conference
> on Open Source Marketing, this would be great.

I'd take this to the Ambassadors list, and tell them the dates of the
event, and that you're looking for a speaker. Alternatively, I'm sure
we'd be happy to coach you on this list if you'd like to put together a
presentation of your own.

--Mel

Old 03-16-2010, 03:33 PM
Mel Chua

+1 to everything Karsten said, btw; his note had far more
specific/concrete suggestions than mine did. (Mm, tag-teaming.)

> Finally, it appears we have a strong need for useful marketing
> materials that ambassadors can use. We've talked about this a long
> time, too. Some people who care need to not only create and collect,
> but find a way to curate such a collection. Things change rapidly,
> content needs regular updates, and it can be a lot of work for one or
> a small group. Perhaps Fedora Insight has some role to play here.

One of the things that came up during the Marketing FAD - and perhaps
this would make a good sprint to do sometime - was that it would be
valuable to start by collecting existing presentations, slides, talks,
marketing deliverables, etc. people have already created and made, to
take stock of what we've got. I think doing that would give us a better
idea of what (if anything) we ought to make next.

If folks are interested in this, feel free to propose a sprint time - if
I am not in a meeting at that scheduled sprint time, I'll show up and
pitch in.

--Mel

Old 03-16-2010, 06:56 PM

Quoting Karsten Wade <kwade@redhat.com>:

> On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 10:54:36PM +0000, Nelson Marques wrote:
>
> > But from my scope this is a Marketing issue.
>
> OK, I hear what you are saying. I do see some of your items as
> probably marketing related. Still, it is often Ambassadors who do
> these items, but _maybe_ they should be overseen by Marketing.
>
> Here are the items I see:
>
> > I am working on a
> > document in Portuguese to present them, which is also a base for another
> > document to be presented to some institutions which are
> > local/national/international Industry leaders, such as Portugal Telecom
> > to be involved on this event.
>
> Is this document generic and can be applied to more than one event?
>
> Can it be written in a general (generic) way?

It can be generically applied based on it's structure. This document is
somewhow specific about the local reality.

> > My question is directed to everyone, engineering personal, marketing,
> > artists, etc. We are trying to gather more people to become involved on
> > fedora, not only just my institute, but other contributors like artists,
> > packagers, etc.
>
> Is your question directed _inward_ for Fedora Project, looking for
> people to be involved in a specific event or/
>
> Or is it directed _outward_ trying to draw those people in to the
> Fedora Project? If yes, where is the question asked? In the document
> you are writing in Portugese?

Portugal Telecom is meant to trigger a chain reaction on the event, to lure more
people in (as we are promoting Fedora?). They used Red Hat (not sure, but I
think that are on CentOS currently) in the past, they implement Linux solutions
worldwide, a GNU/Linux enabler.

Having them there, I will accomplish the following:
- Get more students involved in the event;
- Promote Linux, they are a case of success;

I need formal letters to address them as an institution, though I don't need
much to get some of their people involved (some are community icons, including
veterans like Mário Moreira, founder of PLUG - Portuguese Linux Users Group).
But I do wanted them to present officially as their presence will lure students
and other industry companies, giving us a bigger audience

> BTW, I approve of writing in one's native language and then having it
> translated, to English if necessary.

I'm handling this locally, doesn't make sense to ask sponsorship for a local
event in another language. Translation is useful to story and make information
available for reference in case someone needs it in the future.

> > What has been done in the past? Anyone wants to share some experiences
> > they had previously? If my institute gets involved, I'm hitting the
> > national industry (over 240.000 small/medium business, and the heavy
> > weights as well, like Portugal Telecom), and I will have cooperation for
> > communication campaign and such.
>
> What has been done in the past in what way?

Official presence in a event.

> If your questions are mainly about creating or being involved in an
> event, the Ambassadors have the experience and help get it done.
>
> If you are looking to write and use general materials, maybe Marketing
> is the right place to discuss.

I'll get back into this.

> > How can we envolve the Fedora community on this? What do we want to
> > safekeep? And how can the Marketing Team get involved, because after
> > all, I am a Marketing student, and I want to promote open source
> > marketing as well. My image is on stake here, between my friends at
> > school, before my own institute and before the local industry.
> >
> > What materials do we have that can be used?
> > Can we establish a link with someone on the artwork team wishing to
> > help us?
>
> As your plans come together, you can ask the Design Team for help.
> Ambassadors has experience here, too.

I'm planning to reserve a couple of invitations/conference seats for
strategical people. If Fedora wants to pop an official model, can use, else I'll
have a native doing them, still I will need someone to approve them.

> > From my scope, I am planning to document everything for future usage by
> > whoever wants to organize such an event. If my institute gets involved,
> > this means I have the opportunity to work with Marketing Professionals
> > from my institute and rally support on teachers for the campaign. There
> > a lot we all can learn.
> >
> > And if Fedora can provide a Marketing Team speaker to give a conference
> > on Open Source Marketing, this would be great. I will approach soon
> > (once I have the dates) the Aveiro City Hall, so that this Fedora event
> > is a part of the City's cultural program (free advertisement ), as I
> > am approaching some Hotel's so that they can sponsor the event (would be
> > great at zero cost, if not, I'll try to get special prices for anyone
> > traveling here).
> >
> > Yes I am motivated!
> > Yes I want to shake this country!
> > Yes I want to promote open source!
> > Yes I want to succeed as a future marketing professional!
> > And yes, I do have lots of eyes looking at me already
>
> There is the concept of 'strategy' and 'tactics'. Strategy, in this
> case, would think about, "Is telecom a good area for Fedora
> Ambassadors to concentrate effort?" Tactics, in this case, would
> think about, "Now that I know I am going to concentrate on telecom,
> how do I go about it?"

Telecom is "means" to reach an end. Consider the following:
- This is a strong technological pole.
- PT (Portugal Telecom) enables Linux solutions and PT In/CET are winning nearly
all the "Enterprise of the year" prizes... There is a chance for them to
establish a proof amongst the local industry of Linux success. I don't think I'm
breaking any NDA by saying this, but there is a lot running on top of Red Hat Linux.
- PT is the major employer for IT Professionals. This will bring us students and
people who are connected. They will want to see some of their community icons.

It's a mean to gather more people there, and their story of success can
influence the local industry.

Another point is that I can recruit a lot of speakers there at zero cost. Keep
in mind I'm not running a budget for this. This is meant to be a free event (no
costs) and fully based on free contributions.

> In general, Fedora Project Marketing and Ambassadors separate their
> focuses this way:
>
> * The Marketing team is trying to be the strategic voice -- understand
> and help set the larger approach to open marketing of Fedora.
>
> * The Ambassador team is the tactical voice -- understanding and doing
> the actual work of open marketing of Fedora.
>
> One important difference from other Marketing approaches is that in
> Fedora, it is sometimes the individual ambassadors who decide where
> they personally want to put their effort.
>
> So, as you share the success of your work on
> e.g. planet.fedoraproject.org, the Marketing people will see that it
> may have further strategic focus.
>
> Finally, it appears we have a strong need for useful marketing
> materials that ambassadors can use. We've talked about this a long
> time, too. Some people who care need to not only create and collect,
> but find a way to curate such a collection. Things change rapidly,
> content needs regular updates, and it can be a lot of work for one or
> a small group. Perhaps Fedora Insight has some role to play here.
>
> Does any of this help?

Indeed, it does help, but I'm new here and getting to know how to pull the right
strings is a problem. But I'll do the following... I'll gather all the support I
need and I'll do an official presentation and ask what I need.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:16 PM

Quoting Mel Chua <mel@redhat.com>:

Mel,

I'll do this accordingly. Stay tunned.