Old 03-06-2010, 05:25 PM
Paul Frields

Default F13 slogan announcement -- break up

Nelson and I had a good conversation this afternoon about the slogan
announcement. We realized we really need two different emails.

One is the general announcement, sent to the lists shown on the slogan
SOP. The other is a specific email sent only to the trans@ list, to
give translators context for their work in translating the slogan on
the website.

I've shown the candidate text on the slogan page here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F13_slogan_announcement

Robyn, if you agree with this, you can send this text out on Monday or so.

Paul

Old 03-06-2010, 05:33 PM
Nelson Marques

+1

Old 03-06-2010, 06:05 PM
Robyn Bergeron

These both look great. One question: Why do we have the Goddard quote
in the email? While I think it is definitely an inspirational message,
I don't know that we want to be mixing it in with the slogan
announcement, particularly since I believe that quote may have been a
proposed slogan, or at least part of it.

If we do want to provide that quote in the mail, I think we should
either introduce it a bit (ie: here's an inspirational quote from
robert goddard), or at least move it away from where we say the slogan
is rock it. After all, we don't want people to be rocking an incorrect
slogan

What does everyone think?

Also, I'm happy to send out the email Monday (I'm assuming you mean
both announcements), although I feel a little odd about it since the
slogan picked was the one I proposed. . Nelson spent quite a bit of
time crafting the announcement; I hate to take away his opportunity
here to send it. As Mel has always said, doing these announcements is
a great way to let newcomers be known in the Fedora community.

-From the land of Nyquil and Dayquil, Robyn

On 3/6/10, Paul Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nelson and I had a good conversation this afternoon about the slogan
> announcement. We realized we really need two different emails.
>
> One is the general announcement, sent to the lists shown on the slogan
> SOP. The other is a specific email sent only to the trans@ list, to
> give translators context for their work in translating the slogan on
> the website.
>
> I've shown the candidate text on the slogan page here:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F13_slogan_announcement
>
> Robyn, if you agree with this, you can send this text out on Monday or so.
>
> Paul

Sent from my mobile device

Old 03-06-2010, 06:09 PM
Joe Falconite

I would have to say that I believe the Goddard quote takes away from the
hype of the slogan. Put me down for +1 on leaving it out.

--jfalco

Old 03-06-2010, 06:15 PM
Nelson Marques

On Sat, 2010-03-06 at 12:05 -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
> These both look great. One question: Why do we have the Goddard quote
> in the email? While I think it is definitely an inspirational message,
> I don't know that we want to be mixing it in with the slogan
> announcement, particularly since I believe that quote may have been a
> proposed slogan, or at least part of it.
>
> If we do want to provide that quote in the mail, I think we should
> either introduce it a bit (ie: here's an inspirational quote from
> robert goddard), or at least move it away from where we say the slogan
> is rock it. After all, we don't want people to be rocking an incorrect
> slogan
>
> What does everyone think?

I would go for a small background information, which existed previously,
but I'll approve what people decide.

> Also, I'm happy to send out the email Monday (I'm assuming you mean
> both announcements), although I feel a little odd about it since the
> slogan picked was the one I proposed. . Nelson spent quite a bit of
> time crafting the announcement; I hate to take away his opportunity
> here to send it. As Mel has always said, doing these announcements is
> a great way to let newcomers be known in the Fedora community.

Robyn, it's your slogan, I really mind if you do introduce this message
to the people. Time is not entirelly mine, Paul contributed as well. It
would be coherent if you introduced it.

I'm sure I will have my opportunity in a nearby future to surprise
everyone and introduce myself

nelson

Old 03-06-2010, 06:18 PM
Nelson Marques

On Sat, 2010-03-06 at 19:15 +0000, Nelson Marques wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-03-06 at 12:05 -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
> > These both look great. One question: Why do we have the Goddard quote
> > in the email? While I think it is definitely an inspirational message,
> > I don't know that we want to be mixing it in with the slogan
> > announcement, particularly since I believe that quote may have been a
> > proposed slogan, or at least part of it.
> >
> > If we do want to provide that quote in the mail, I think we should
> > either introduce it a bit (ie: here's an inspirational quote from
> > robert goddard), or at least move it away from where we say the slogan
> > is rock it. After all, we don't want people to be rocking an incorrect
> > slogan
> >
> > What does everyone think?
>
> I would go for a small background information, which existed previously,
> but I'll approve what people decide.
>
> > Also, I'm happy to send out the email Monday (I'm assuming you mean
> > both announcements), although I feel a little odd about it since the
> > slogan picked was the one I proposed. . Nelson spent quite a bit of
> > time crafting the announcement; I hate to take away his opportunity
> > here to send it. As Mel has always said, doing these announcements is
> > a great way to let newcomers be known in the Fedora community.
>
> Robyn, it's your slogan, I really mind if you do introduce this message
> to the people. Time is not entirelly mine, Paul contributed as well. It
> would be coherent if you introduced it.

__ I really DON'T mind __

Old 03-06-2010, 06:30 PM
Robyn Bergeron

On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Nelson Marques <07721@ipam.pt> wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-03-06 at 19:15 +0000, Nelson Marques wrote:
>> On Sat, 2010-03-06 at 12:05 -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
>> > These both look great. One question: Why do we have the Goddard quote
>> > in the email? While I think it is definitely an inspirational message,
>> > I don't know that we want to be mixing it in with the slogan
>> > announcement, particularly since I believe that quote may have been a
>> > proposed slogan, or at least part of it.
>> >
>> > If we do want to provide that quote in the mail, I think we should
>> > either introduce it a bit (ie: here's an inspirational quote from
>> > robert goddard), or at least move it away from where we say the slogan
>> > is rock it. After all, we don't want people to be rocking an incorrect
>> > slogan
>> >
>> > What does everyone think?
>>
>> I would go for a small background information, which existed previously,
>> but I'll approve what people decide.
>>
>> > Also, I'm happy to send out the email Monday (I'm assuming you mean
>> > both announcements), although I feel a little odd about it since the
>> > slogan picked was the one I proposed. . Nelson spent quite a bit of
>> > time crafting the announcement; I hate to take away his opportunity
>> > here to send it. *As Mel has always said, doing these announcements is
>> > a great way to let newcomers be known in the Fedora community.
>>
>> Robyn, it's your slogan, I really mind if you do introduce this message
>> to the people. Time is not entirelly mine, Paul contributed as well. It
>> would be coherent if you introduced it.
>
> __ I really DON'T mind __
>

>> I'm sure I will have my opportunity in a nearby future to surprise
>> everyone and introduce myself
>>
>> nelson

Will do - I'll send it out Monday to both lists so we get the biggest
bang for the buck in terms of email visibility and such.

Everyone, feel free to blog about it (and any other deliverables) as
well - it's a great way for the Marketing team to get some visibility
and feedback into what we're doing, how awesomely we are doing it,
etc.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:52 PM
Robyn Bergeron

Also - are we using it the slogan in the form of an exclamation ("rock
it!") or a statement ("rock it.")? I had envisioned it as more of a
statement - but it's certainly open to group thoughts, and we should
probably clarify which way to use it. Not necessarily in the
announcement email, but probably to those groups most likely to be
incorporating it into materials - ambassadors, design, marketing,
etc., as well as clarifying on the wiki.

-robyn

Sent from my mobile device

Old 03-06-2010, 06:58 PM
Nelson Marques

On Sat, 2010-03-06 at 12:52 -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
> Also - are we using it the slogan in the form of an exclamation ("rock
> it!") or a statement ("rock it.")? I had envisioned it as more of a
> statement - but it's certainly open to group thoughts, and we should
> probably clarify which way to use it. Not necessarily in the
> announcement email, but probably to those groups most likely to be
> incorporating it into materials - ambassadors, design, marketing,
> etc., as well as clarifying on the wiki.

Robyn,

I've used "Rock it!" with the exclamation mark to enforce the "command"
feeling on it.
Not sure if that's the best way. I'll leave it for list/you to decide.

nelson

Old 03-06-2010, 07:09 PM
wonderer

hy,

I would go for "rock it" and let it open if its more as a statement or
excamation, but if asked I would more go for a "point" at the end.

mit freundlichen Grüßen / best regards
Henrik Heigl - wonderer@fedoraproject.org

PGP/GnuPG: 8237 D432 0616 D567 DBC6 3FE3 0D52 B374 F468 A5F0