Old 03-01-2010, 04:19 PM
Robyn Bergeron

Default DOCS - Communication Matrix Plan

Hi Nelson,

This is good stuff. Is it possible we can put the actual content on
the wiki rather than linking to a document?

I like to think of what we do in Marketing as akin to what goes on in
Engineering, with our "code" being the processes, documents, and
deliverables that are Marketing's output. When we have all those
things on the wiki, people in the marketing community can make patches
(to keep up with the "code" metaphor); when the document is living in
your public folder on fedorapeople, there is no way for people to make
patches, other than to take your document, and essentially fork their
own version (WOW! this metaphor is really going places now), and then
it becomes a question of "which is the right document, which is the
most recent, which ones has community feedback," etc. And like a
piece of code sitting on an engineer's box, unless someone knows it is
there, it will sit - untested, unused, etc., unless someone happened
to read the specific message on the mailing list about the piece of
code.

I realize that wiki formatting is obviously not as professional
looking as a polished document, like the one you posted. (And
probably also, in many case, not much fun to translate from document
to wiki formatting - let the list know, I can certainly help out with
some conversion if needed.) It would be great to at least have the
content in wiki format, and then maybe link to the uploaded version of
the document - and by all means, feel free to upload it directly to
the wiki rather than your home document - maybe we can make it a
quarterly process or once-per-cycle process to go through, check the
revision logs on the wiki, or maybe there is a way to automatically
insert wiki code into a pre-made template (???? this would be
awesome!).

I'm not trying to say anything about anyone here, of course - but
contributors come, and go, for various reasons; it is possible that 2
years from now, we may all be on different paths, and there may be an
entirely different Fedora Marketeering family. The beauty of the wiki
is your work will be in the code tree, so to speak, and live on; I
don't think anyone wants to see your excellent work go unused simply
because nobody knows about it

Food for thought! (Someone hit me if this sounds stupid, by the way;
this is just what I believe. We should, when we can, practice the
same principles that we are promoting!)

-Robyn

PS. If you'd like, it would be great to also have some information on
the wiki about how we can use what you're working on, when it is
applicable, at what point in the cycle we should be referring to the
information / updating the information / etc. It doesn't have to be
complete, even a framework for people to start working from would be
great; it just helps to have it there so that new Marketeers know what
information is out there, and how they can use it, so they can jump in
and start helping without a lot of pain.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:24 PM
Nelson Marques

On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 10:19 -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
> Hi Nelson,
>
> This is good stuff. Is it possible we can put the actual content on
> the wiki rather than linking to a document?

If course you can This is just one of several documents I have to
compile from my notes.

Feel free to change it, insert it.

nm

Old 03-01-2010, 05:46 PM
Mel Chua

>> This is good stuff. Is it possible we can put the actual content on
>> the wiki rather than linking to a document?
>
> If course you can This is just one of several documents I have to
> compile from my notes.
>
> Feel free to change it, insert it.

+1 Robyn about "putting our stuff in version control." I took 5 minutes
to port the document to wiki syntax, and we've got a page now:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communication_matrix

Added to the list at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing#Resources_you_can_use_for_marketing_purp oses,
for ease-of-finding later.

Nelson, this is great - I'd definitely encourage you to blog about this,
with some notes (maybe an example?) on how people can apply it to
different projects/products within Fedora they may be working on... for
instance, now I'm starting to think about how this stuff applies to the
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Summer_Coding_SIG.

--Mel

Old 03-01-2010, 06:37 PM
wonderer

Hy there,
>>> This is good stuff. Is it possible we can put the actual content on
>>> the wiki rather than linking to a document?
>>>
>> If course you can This is just one of several documents I have to
>> compile from my notes.
>>
>> Feel free to change it, insert it.
>>
> +1 Robyn about "putting our stuff in version control." I took 5 minutes
> to port the document to wiki syntax, and we've got a page now:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communication_matrix

I think we should from the beginning on differentiate what stuff is for
general purpose and what is the deliverables we get from such docs for
the fedoraproject itself.
It is good to have such things like SWOT, Communication Matrix, How to
do things in the Marketing world, etc. but at the end we want something
coming out of this and not only "it would be good if we have something
like this" stuff. Often exactly that "goal" flows out of our hands. Its
only a small "reminder" to ourself ;-)

Maybe it is possible to make subsections in the wiki like
marketing/docs/marketing_material general for all that is not "directly"
related to the Marketing material like Talking Points, etc.
> Added to the list at
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing#Resources_you_can_use_for_marketing_purp oses,
> for ease-of-finding later.
>
> Nelson, this is great - I'd definitely encourage you to blog about this,

+1!! You should definitly start to blog.

mit freundlichen Grüßen / best regards
Henrik Heigl - wonderer@fedoraproject.org

PGP/GnuPG: 8237 D432 0616 D567 DBC6 3FE3 0D52 B374 F468 A5F0

Old 03-01-2010, 06:48 PM
Nelson Marques

On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 20:37 +0100, wonderer wrote:
> Hy there,
> >>>
> >> If course you can This is just one of several documents I have to
> >> compile from my notes.
> >>
> >> Feel free to change it, insert it.
> >>
> > +1 Robyn about "putting our stuff in version control." I took 5 minutes
> > to port the document to wiki syntax, and we've got a page now:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communication_matrix
> >
> I think we should from the beginning on differentiate what stuff is for
> general purpose and what is the deliverables we get from such docs for
> the fedoraproject itself.
> It is good to have such things like SWOT, Communication Matrix, How to
> do things in the Marketing world, etc. but at the end we want something
> coming out of this and not only "it would be good if we have something
> like this" stuff. Often exactly that "goal" flows out of our hands. Its
> only a small "reminder" to ourself ;-)
>
> Maybe it is possible to make subsections in the wiki like
> marketing/docs/marketing_material general for all that is not "directly"
> related to the Marketing material like Talking Points, etc.
> > Added to the list at
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing#Resources_you_can_use_for_marketing_purp oses,
> > for ease-of-finding later.
> >
> > Nelson, this is great - I'd definitely encourage you to blog about this,
> >
> +1!! You should definitly start to blog.

I have done it before, but I'm struggling with the RSS feeds from
standard wordpress host. It's only feeding two lines. I've also to work
out a decent picture for it

My handicap on wiki is being a bit of a problem now, I've done some
experiences, but somehow it's not being matching my expectations.

Will improve with time.

nelson.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:52 PM
Nelson Marques

Mel,

Thanks for fueling up the machine. As I told you before, wiki syntax is
a handicap for me at the moment.
I have a lot of documents that I plan to translate and upload, and add
to the wiki about several topics.

This is not complex to do, I'm working now on several topics which I
find relevant related to cultural aspects (since we're aiming for
international community).

I'll keep feeding some theory in a easy way for non-tech people to
understand it. As we move towards, we'll apply them.

nelson

Old 03-01-2010, 07:13 PM
Mel Chua

> Thanks for fueling up the machine. As I told you before, wiki syntax is
> a handicap for me at the moment.
> I have a lot of documents that I plan to translate and upload, and add
> to the wiki about several topics.

Wiki syntax can take a while to get the hang of - I remember taking
multiple hours to make simple changes to a page when I started, simply
because I couldn't remember how to make == headers == or * bulleted
lists or 'bold text.'

So I found some of my old work on getting started with mediawiki and
ported it over to Fedora - see https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Wiki for a
little guide. Hopefully it helps someone else.

--Mel

Old 03-07-2010, 07:11 PM
Susan Lauber

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 3:13 PM, Mel Chua <mel@redhat.com> wrote:

> * Thanks for fueling up the machine. As I told you before, wiki syntax is

> a handicap for me at the moment.

> * I have a lot of documents that I plan to translate and upload, and add

> to the wiki about several topics.

Wiki syntax can take a while to get the hang of - I remember taking

multiple hours to make simple changes to a page when I started, simply

because I couldn't remember how to make == headers == or * bulleted

lists or 'bold text.'

So I found some of my old work on getting started with mediawiki and

ported it over to Fedora - see https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Wiki for a

little guide. Hopefully it helps someone else.

Feel free to look here also:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Help:Editing

-Susan

--
Susan Lauber, (RHCX, RHCA, RHCSS)
Lauber System Solutions, Inc.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:25 AM
Mel Chua

> So I found some of my old work on getting started with mediawiki and
> ported it over to Fedora - see https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Wiki for a
> little guide. Hopefully it helps someone else.
>
> Feel free to look here also:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Help:Editing

Awesome, thanks Susan! I've linked the text of the two pages, and added
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Wiki#Above_all_else.

"Be bold. Don't worry about memorizing all the rules before starting -
just dive in, knowing that there's plenty to learn, and ask for help and
feedback along the way. People will cheerfully correct you if you ask;
it's better to try doing something quickly and then ask if you got it
right (all edits on the wiki are reversible) than to not make an edit
because you're afraid of "doing something wrong." We absolutely love to
see new people try and learn, and will jump in and lend a hand when
asked, or if we spot something."

A bit longwinded, I know... feel free to edit and all that if
improvements can be made.

--Mel