Old 02-26-2010, 07:58 PM
Mel Chua

Default Self-Introduction: Mel Chua

Note: This is a test of the new template at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Introduce_yourself_to_the_marketing_group, which
is part of the Join process,
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Joining_the_Fedora_marketing_project.

It's a rewrite of my own self-introduction
(http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/2009-May/010230.html) using
the new format, so this is the email as I would have written it in May 2009.

Join me in testing the template!

--------

Hi, my name is Mel Chua and I live in Boston, MA, USA (but I travel a
lot). My Fedora Account System (FAS) username is mchua, and my IRC nick
is also mchua.

I learned about the Fedora Marketing team through Jack Aboutboul, Max
Spevack, and Greg DeKoenigsberg, and am interested in joining because it
seemed like an interesting place to really start contributing to Fedora
(though I've been a user for years, and have worked in downstream and
upstream projects before).

I've worked in open source and/or Free Software in the past. Some of the
projects I've worked on, or communities I've been involved with, include
OLPC (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Mchua) where I did QA, support, and
community-organizing work, and Sugar Labs
(http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/User:Mchua) where I do more of the same.

This is the first Marketing project I have worked on!

My skills, which I hope to utilize in Fedora Marketing, include:

Marketing skills:
* None to speak of, really. I had to look "Marketing" up on Wikipedia,
actually... my background is in engineering, so I wasn't quite sure.
That's what I'm here to learn.

Other skills:
* mediawiki ninja. I keep/make pages good-lookin', spam-free,
well-linked, content-o-riffic, and push stuff that should be on the
wiki, to the wiki.
* documentation nerd. teach me something and I'll write it up so well
you'll never have to teach it to anyone else again.
* hackathon/event wrangling. I've run unconferences, hackathons,
workshops, and most kinds of grassroots events you can think of, and can
do it well enough to teach others.
* breaking things. I used to be in QA, and my specialty is breaking
things (technology and content) like a very creative newbie might. Point
me towards something and I will get confused and tell you exactly why.

I'd also like to learn: How to spark up the open-source mentality in
academia through working on stuff like
http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/POSSE. Fedora is a great example
of a learning ecosystem that's done way better than academic
institutions at creating folks who can Make Real Stuff For Real people,
so figuring out how that happens and how to spread the word of it is the
first thing I'll be hurtling towards. Not sure exactly what that means
yet, but I'll listen for a while and let you know.

When I'm not working on Fedora, I work with the Community Architecture
team at Red Hat. (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Community_Architecture)

A couple of goals I have for the Fedora Project are to have the
Marketing team have more people with marketing backgrounds participating
in it (I know my presence doesn't help that statistic much and to be
able to do something with all the data we gather
(https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Statistics) but don't seem to use to
shape our future actions very much. I would also like to see a Marketing
FAD and a Join-Process FAD happen in Fedora.

I am wondering about what has been done in Marketing in the past.

Please help me get started!

--Mel

Old 02-26-2010, 08:41 PM
Justin O'Brien

On Fri, 2010-02-26 at 15:58 -0500, Mel Chua wrote:
> [...]
> so figuring out how that happens and how to spread the word of it is the
> first thing I'll be hurtling towards. Not sure exactly what that means
> yet, but I'll listen for a while and let you know.
>
> When I'm not working on Fedora, I work with the Community Architecture
> team at Red Hat. (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Community_Architecture)
>
> A couple of goals I have for the Fedora Project are to have the
> Marketing team have more people with marketing backgrounds participating
> in it (I know my presence doesn't help that statistic much and to be
> able to do something with all the data we gather
> (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Statistics) but don't seem to use to
> shape our future actions very much. I would also like to see a Marketing
> FAD and a Join-Process FAD happen in Fedora.
>
> I am wondering about what has been done in Marketing in the past.

Looks like its working pretty well