Old 02-26-2010, 06:06 PM
Mel Chua

Default Mad Libs style forms

From #fedora-mktg: Robyn found a cool link!

http://www.lukew.com/ff/entry.asp?1007 - "Mad Libs" Style Form Increases
Conversion 25-40%

Basically, if sign-up dialogs looked less like this:

name: _________
email: _________
username: _________
password: _________

And more like this:

Hi, my name is ________ and my email is ________. I would like my
username to be ________ and my password to be ______.

...people use 'em more.

I wonder what opportunities we might have to quickly try this out with
Fedora. fedora-tour immediately comes to mind, but that's not going to
be ready for prime-time for a bit - so how about FAS?
(https://admin.fedoraproject.org/accounts/user/new)

This might be a neat thing to bring up around Beta release when we're
done with our deliverables (*knocks on wood*) and focusing on helping
other teams get new contributors started during their crunch times.
(Refer to the end of
http://blog.melchua.com/2009/12/24/whats-marketing-doing-for-f13-anyway-a-show-with-dancing-penguins/
- actually, I should probably turn that into a wiki page sometime.)

--Mel

Old 02-26-2010, 06:31 PM
Justin O'Brien

On Fri, 2010-02-26 at 14:06 -0500, Mel Chua wrote:
> From #fedora-mktg: Robyn found a cool link!
>
> http://www.lukew.com/ff/entry.asp?1007 - "Mad Libs" Style Form Increases
> Conversion 25-40%
>
> Basically, if sign-up dialogs looked less like this:
>
> name: _________
> email: _________
> username: _________
> password: _________
>
> And more like this:
>
> Hi, my name is ________ and my email is ________. I would like my
> username to be ________ and my password to be ______.
>
> ...people use 'em more.
>
> I wonder what opportunities we might have to quickly try this out with
> Fedora. fedora-tour immediately comes to mind, but that's not going to
> be ready for prime-time for a bit - so how about FAS?
> (https://admin.fedoraproject.org/accounts/user/new)
>
> This might be a neat thing to bring up around Beta release when we're
> done with our deliverables (*knocks on wood*) and focusing on helping
> other teams get new contributors started during their crunch times.
> (Refer to the end of
> http://blog.melchua.com/2009/12/24/whats-marketing-doing-for-f13-anyway-a-show-with-dancing-penguins/
> - actually, I should probably turn that into a wiki page sometime.)
>
> --Mel

We could also make an introduction madlib, because I don't know about
everyone else but I felt really uneasy about mine

--threethirty

Old 02-26-2010, 06:33 PM
Mel Chua

>> We could also make an introduction madlib, because I don't know about
>> everyone else but I felt really uneasy about mine
>>
>> --threethirty

BRILLIANT.

And yea, this is verily being drafted at
http://etherpad.com/marketing-intro as we speak. Join us if you're
around.

It'll turn into a rewrite of
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Introduce_yourself_to_the_marketing_group.

--Mel

Old 02-26-2010, 06:34 PM
Robyn Bergeron

Ohhhhh. That's a really good idea, Justin

Old 02-26-2010, 07:32 PM
Mel Chua

All righty. Justin, Robyn, Nelson, and I came up with this:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Introduce_yourself_to_the_marketing_group#Introduc tion_template

It's almost certainly not perfect - if you see a way it could be
improved, please tweak the wiki page! (I believe Nelson's actually doing
exactly that as I type this email.)

If folks want to dogfood this by introducing themselves to the Marketing
list (or introducing themselves again) so we have examples to point to,
go for it. I'll write mine in a moment.

--Mel

PS: Sometimes I really, really love this team. This is one of those
moments. We went from "oo, random link!" to cool idea to implementation
in... less than 2 hours.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:12 AM
Ian Weller

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 02:06:09PM -0500, Mel Chua wrote:
> I wonder what opportunities we might have to quickly try this out with
> Fedora. fedora-tour immediately comes to mind, but that's not going to
> be ready for prime-time for a bit - so how about FAS?
> (https://admin.fedoraproject.org/accounts/user/new)

For web forms like this, I'd say this harms usability because... well,
it's kind of selfish, really. When I fill out a form with contact
information (oh hello, FAS), I don't really feel like reading, I just
want to get my information in the system in a hurry. I'm assuming it's
not just me.

I love the idea for the group introduction bit, but I would strongly
recommend not applying this concept to FAS. It's more confusion than
what it's worth.

--
Ian Weller <ian@ianweller.org>

Old 02-27-2010, 01:49 AM
Justin O'Brien

On Fri, 2010-02-26 at 19:12 -0600, Ian Weller wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 02:06:09PM -0500, Mel Chua wrote:
> > I wonder what opportunities we might have to quickly try this out with
> > Fedora. fedora-tour immediately comes to mind, but that's not going to
> > be ready for prime-time for a bit - so how about FAS?
> > (https://admin.fedoraproject.org/accounts/user/new)
>
> For web forms like this, I'd say this harms usability because... well,
> it's kind of selfish, really. When I fill out a form with contact
> information (oh hello, FAS), I don't really feel like reading, I just
> want to get my information in the system in a hurry. I'm assuming it's
> not just me.
>
> I love the idea for the group introduction bit, but I would strongly
> recommend not applying this concept to FAS. It's more confusion than
> what it's worth.

off at the wiki to so that you could create a userpage.

Would it be less of an issue for you if this became a one stop joining
process.

How about a link to do it the old way at the top?

Just trying to keep the ball rolling I dont think we need to decide
where it stops yet

--three

Old 02-27-2010, 01:52 AM
Greg Sieranski

I agree with Mel. I like to get the form filled out as quickly as possible and move on. I like the idea and hope we can find a place to use it I just don't think FAS is a good one.

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 8:49 PM, Justin O'Brien <three@threethirty.us> wrote:

On Fri, 2010-02-26 at 19:12 -0600, Ian Weller wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 02:06:09PM -0500, Mel Chua wrote:

> > I wonder what opportunities we might have to quickly try this out with

> > Fedora. fedora-tour immediately comes to mind, but that's not going to

> > be ready for prime-time for a bit - so how about FAS?

> > (https://admin.fedoraproject.org/accounts/user/new)

> For web forms like this, I'd say this harms usability because... well,

> it's kind of selfish, really. When I fill out a form with contact

> information (oh hello, FAS), I don't really feel like reading, I just

> want to get my information in the system in a hurry. I'm assuming it's

> not just me.

> I love the idea for the group introduction bit, but I would strongly

> recommend not applying this concept to FAS. It's more confusion than

> what it's worth.

I had an idea of working it all into one page that would start off with

FAS, subscribe you to the mailinglist, post your intro and then drop you

off at the wiki to so that you could create a userpage.

Would it be less of an issue for you if this became a one stop joining

process.

How about a link to do it the old way at the top?

Just trying to keep the ball rolling I dont think we need to decide

where it stops yet

--three

Thanks,
Greg Sieranski