Old 02-24-2010, 05:04 PM
Kara Schiltz

Default Fedora Splits and Goes Faster

LinuxPlanet
2/23/10

Fedora Splits and Goes Faster
By Sean Michael Kerner

The bleeding edge of Red Hat's Fedora Linux community has long been the
branch of Fedora code known as Rawhide. New contributions land in
Rawhide first, marking the tip of new Linux development for Fedora,
though activity there slows down during Fedora release cycles.

As a result of a new move taken by Fedora developers this month,
however, Rawhide is evolving to ensure that even when new Fedora
releases are coming, the bleeding edge of Linux development won't grind
to a halt.

Full post:
http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/6989/1/

Old 02-24-2010, 05:21 PM
Mel Chua

On 02/24/2010 01:04 PM, Kara Schiltz wrote:
> LinuxPlanet
> 2/23/10
>
> Fedora Splits and Goes Faster
> By Sean Michael Kerner
>
> The bleeding edge of Red Hat's Fedora Linux community has long been the
> branch of Fedora code known as Rawhide. New contributions land in
> Rawhide first, marking the tip of new Linux development for Fedora,
> though activity there slows down during Fedora release cycles.
>
> As a result of a new move taken by Fedora developers this month,
> however, Rawhide is evolving to ensure that even when new Fedora
> releases are coming, the bleeding edge of Linux development won't grind
> to a halt.
>
> Full post:
> http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/6989/1/

Thanks, Kara!

Question to the list: What's the ideal way to communicate this sort of
news to the broader public?

* a Fedora Insight article? (/me looks at zikula - moving along, moving
along...)
* should it have been a Talking Point?
* are the current mailing list/Planet discussions enough (in other
words, "everyone who should know about this is already reading the
places it's discussed in"?)
* should we mention it in the F13 video?
* etc.

--Mel

Old 02-24-2010, 05:44 PM
Robyn Bergeron

Someone can blog about it, and we can push it to linux.com distroblogs

I can't believe we didn't even consider this as a Talking Point
possibility. I'm not sure that it should or should not be, I'm just
sure that we should have discussed it.

Maybe we just need to have Community Talking Points - what we're doing
with each release that isn't necessarily directly tied to the distro,
but Features / Enhancements we're making to the community. SOPs,
rawhide, FI, etc, etc. We're giving people a compelling list as to why
they should be trying out Fedora 13; why should we not have a
compelling list as to why they should try out our community?

Old 02-24-2010, 05:49 PM
Pascal Calarco

In the meantime prior to Fedora Insight, we could start a 'news roundup'
beat in the current FWN. If this is a good idea, I'll take
responsibility in finding a writer if I can get the posts from the
marketing list as is currently being done.

With the Fedora Insight blockers, I will post some new tickets in TRAC.
Simply posting to the logistics list doesn't seem to elicit a response.

- pascal

Old 02-25-2010, 07:53 AM
Mel Chua

> Maybe we just need to have Community Talking Points - what we're doing
> with each release that isn't necessarily directly tied to the distro,
> but Features / Enhancements we're making to the community. SOPs,
> rawhide, FI, etc, etc. We're giving people a compelling list as to why
> they should be trying out Fedora 13; why should we not have a
> compelling list as to why they should try out our community?

Oh. Heck. Yes.

Added to
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Talk:Marketing#Ideas_for_next_round - if
we have time, we should do this for F13 at some point, perhaps when we
hit the third phase of
http://blog.melchua.com/2009/12/24/whats-marketing-doing-for-f13-anyway-a-show-with-dancing-penguins/
(helping teams with capacity-building between Beta and GA).

--Mel

Old 02-25-2010, 08:40 AM
Mel Chua

On 02/24/2010 01:49 PM, Pascal Calarco wrote:
> In the meantime prior to Fedora Insight, we could start a 'news roundup'
> beat in the current FWN. If this is a good idea, I'll take
> responsibility in finding a writer if I can get the posts from the
> marketing list as is currently being done.

Ooh. This would be the "and this is what the media is saying about
Fedora!" beat? That would be brilliant, and give us another way to use
the [in the news] tag.

> With the Fedora Insight blockers, I will post some new tickets in TRAC.
> Simply posting to the logistics list doesn't seem to elicit a response.

Thanks for your constant vigilance on this, Pascal - the logistics list
is where I've been watching/looking/posting, but it's been quiet as of
late. Karsten is picking up on some things that should help, though -
watch for him on the logistics list over the next few days.

--Mel

Old 02-25-2010, 08:42 AM
Robyn Bergeron

s/penguins/ponies?

On 2/25/10, Mel Chua <mel@redhat.com> wrote:
>> Maybe we just need to have Community Talking Points - what we're doing
>> with each release that isn't necessarily directly tied to the distro,
>> but Features / Enhancements we're making to the community. SOPs,
>> rawhide, FI, etc, etc. We're giving people a compelling list as to why
>> they should be trying out Fedora 13; why should we not have a
>> compelling list as to why they should try out our community?
>
> Oh. Heck. Yes.
>
> Added to
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Talk:Marketing#Ideas_for_next_round - if
> we have time, we should do this for F13 at some point, perhaps when we
> hit the third phase of
> http://blog.melchua.com/2009/12/24/whats-marketing-doing-for-f13-anyway-a-show-with-dancing-penguins/
> (helping teams with capacity-building between Beta and GA).
>
> --Mel

Sent from my mobile device