Old 01-07-2008, 01:35 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Default Improved Ogg Theora coming soon to an Internet near you

Hi

http://www.linux.com/feature/123869

"Monty says the Theora converter is "obsolete by 10 years," that he's
now writing a "real encoder" for Theora, and that it will "be another
couple of months until its mainline release." He also says a lot of the
problems with the original Theora code and encoder aren't because
they're buggy in the usual sense, but because the original codebase was
"written by people who were self-taught," and that their lack of
experience shows.

On the Windows and DirectShow front, Monty says Xiph lost one of its
most talented Windows coders -- he went to work for Microsoft -- and
that one of his dreams is to be able to hire volunteer Xiph coder
Timothy Terriberry to work on the project full-time. (Monty himself
works for Red Hat on free media software.)"

Rahul

Old 01-07-2008, 02:04 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Nicu Buculei wrote:

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

Hi

http://www.linux.com/feature/123869

"Monty says the Theora converter is "obsolete by 10 years," that he's
now writing a "real encoder" for Theora, and that it will "be another
couple of months until its mainline release."

So will this be one of the features we will have (and talk about) in F9?

Doubt it. CC'ed anyway.

Personally, I would prefer to stay with a worse codec in exchange with a
working editor (like a PiTiVi able to save videos).

No reason it has to be either or thing.

Rahul

Old 01-07-2008, 03:21 PM
Christopher Aillon

Personally, I would prefer to stay with a worse codec in exchange with a
working editor (like a PiTiVi able to save videos).

So, write the working editor, and add the codecs to your yum --excludes
list so you stay with the worse one. ;-)

Old 01-07-2008, 03:38 PM
David Nielsen

man, 07 01 2008 kl. 17:08 +0200, skrev Nicu Buculei:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > Hi
> >

> > http://www.linux.com/feature/123869
> >
> > "Monty says the Theora converter is "obsolete by 10 years," that he's
> > now writing a "real encoder" for Theora, and that it will "be another
> > couple of months until its mainline release."
>
> So will this be one of the features we will have (and talk about) in F9?
>
> Personally, I would prefer to stay with a worse codec in exchange with a
> working editor (like a PiTiVi able to save videos).

I suspect that an update to gstreamer to match the new encoder would
follow this work rather swiftly so pitivi should work. But let's wait
and see what happens.

- David

Old 01-07-2008, 04:29 PM
Nicu Buculei

Christopher Aillon wrote:

Personally, I would prefer to stay with a worse codec in exchange with
a working editor (like a PiTiVi able to save videos).

So, write the working editor, and add the codecs to your yum --excludes
list so you stay with the worse one. ;-)

Well, I wanted to make some cool screencasts featuring various Fedora
stuff but I am hold back by the lack of such an editor (or my current
decision to not defect to using divx and mencoder from command line)