Old 12-20-2009, 12:21 AM
Ryan Rix

Default Contributor Spotlight Podcast

Hey all,

At a few weeks' ago marketing(may have been ambassadors?) meeting, I drug Paul
Mellors (cc'd) into a discussion with Max Spevack and I about creating a
podcast where various Fedora contributors would be interviewed by the host(s)
about what they do in the project, how they found Fedora, why they are a
member, etc etc etc...

Well, I think that such a thing would be a good marketing project, and think
that the new year would be the perfect time to start it up. Max said he had
some ideas on the podcast, and so did Paul, so I think it would be a good idea
to start up this discussion again, in a mailing list. I don't know if Paul is
a member of this list (I think so) but hopefully he doesn't mind joining in on
the discussion

Mine are, in essence, that first paragraph, it's a pretty straightforward
idea, I think. We'd brainstorm a list of contributors; not just big names, but
a lot of the newer developers, too. This has, I think, a two-fold effect: It
gets new developers who get featured -really- excited and the chance to
promote $project of theirs, and it shows people who may be thinking about
contributing just how easy it can be.

Thoughts?

Ryan

--
Ryan Rix
Fedora KDE SIG Member, Phoenix AZ Ambassador, News KDE Beat writer

New Mail address: phrkonaleash@gmail.com -> ry@n.rix.si !!
http://hackersramblings.wordpress.com | http://identi.ca/phrkonaleash
XMPP: phrkonaleash@gmail.com | MSN: phrkonaleash@yahoo.com
AIM: phrkonaleash | Yahoo: phrkonaleash
IRC: PhrkOnLsh@irc.freenode.net/#srcedit,#plugaz,#fedora-kde and
countless other FOSS channels.

Old 12-20-2009, 03:28 AM
Mel Chua

So, On 12/19/2009 08:21 PM, Ryan Rix wrote:

At a few weeks' ago marketing(may have been ambassadors?) meeting, I drug Paul
Mellors (cc'd) into a discussion with Max Spevack and I about creating a
podcast

> <snip>
> We'd brainstorm a list of contributors; not just big names, but

a lot of the newer developers, too. This has, I think, a two-fold effect: It
gets new developers who get featured -really- excited and the chance to
promote $project of theirs, and it shows people who may be thinking about
contributing just how easy it can be.

Thoughts?

Even easier startup: interview chain. You interview someone, they become
the next interviewer and have to interview someone else, and so on down
the line. (Note: this only works if it's really easy to set up for
making a podcast, so that's something to check.)

This is one of those great ideas that came up once upon a time, and
keeps coming up (because it /is/ a great idea), and mostly needs someone
to step up and do the first interview.

--Mel

Old 12-20-2009, 03:52 AM
Ryan Rix

On Sat 19 December 2009 9:28:12 pm Mel Chua wrote:
> and mostly needs someone
> to step up and do the first interview.

Shall we add the final step to getting that first interview to tuesday's
agenda?

Old 12-20-2009, 04:15 AM
Robyn Bergeron

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 9:52 PM, Ryan Rix <ry@n.rix.si> wrote:
> On Sat 19 December 2009 9:28:12 pm Mel Chua wrote:
>> *and mostly needs someone
>> to step up and do the first interview.
>
> Shall we add the final step to getting that first interview to tuesday's
> agenda?

I think in addition to that it would be useful to maybe send an email
with a link to a wiki page where people can (a) sign up to be
interviewed and (b) maybe provide a few dates (like a week time-frame)
where they would be available to do something.

This would be great stuff for Fedora Insight

I have been thinking something along the same line - although I was
thinking more in terms of print / email / irc interviews, since I'd
imagine quite a number of devs don't necessarily have the gear needed
to do audio, or the bandwidth to follow Paul's guide to doing a
podcast interview (I'll plug that link again for goodness:
http://osdir.com/ml/fedora-news-list/2009-10/msg00000.html). The
great part about it is - in addition to getting developers excited
about contributing, like Ryan mentioned - is that it also helps to
open up the dialog a little more between marketing and engineering.

Alternately, we could do two separate chains - one where we have devs
interviewing each other on features via email, and maybe the
occasional podcast interview by us.

And since I'm such a marketeer, I have a fabulous name for it: "Under
the Hood" ... since that's basically what we're doing, taking a look
under the hood with these interviews.

Fa la la la la, la la la la......

-Robyn

Old 12-20-2009, 04:15 AM
Robyn Bergeron

PS. I have a potential interviewee i could butter up.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:28 AM
Max Spevack