-   -   Press Kit WAS "For 2008 media will create Red Hat-Ubuntu war" (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-marketing/27676-press-kit-2008-media-will-create-red-hat-ubuntu-war.html)

Jonathan Roberts 01-03-2008 01:12 PM

Press Kit WAS "For 2008 media will create Red Hat-Ubuntu war"

Ok, following on from Leigh's advice, shall we try and flesh out what
would go under some of these points?

> We need a few things:
> o Fedora Fast Facts: data that would be interesting to someone writing
> an article:
> o History

* Fedora project founded in 2003 when Red Hat merged their open
development process with the pre-existing Fedora Linux project. Official
announcement here:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2003-September/msg00064.html

* First general release of Fedora Core 5th November 2003.

* Merger of Core and Extras in 2008.

*...urm any more history than this seems difficult to come by!? When did
the Board come along?

> o Differentiating points

* Focus on upstream
* Focus on free software
* Hosted
* People
* Open build systems + spins

** Another section should really spell out what Fedora's goals are I
think. Target audience perhaps (Controversial subject I know) and our
primary goals and values as they provide a lot of insight into why
certain decisions are made.

> o Features/Functions
> o Instructions for 'laypress' to download with most ease
> o Reviewers' Guide. This tells the press what exactly to look for,
> what we want to emphasize most (esp. what's differentiating from other
> distros, etc).
> o Screenshots.

These last four are covered by the release summary are they not!?

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/8/ReleaseSummary

Obviously this all changes from release to release. Only thing I'm not
sure about in the current release summary is the long list of links at
the beginning - makes it look uglier and harder to access the main
content - in my opinion. Maybe if we include this info in a press kit it
could either a) be tidied up or b) only the essential information about
features etc.

Also, in this section I don't think it would hurt to emphasise where
Fedora is the first distribution to do something - I think we did this
with Pulse Audio in the last release quite well :)

Thoughts and ideas!?

Jon