Old 01-02-2008, 03:51 AM
David Nielsen

Default "For 2008 media will create Red Hat-Ubuntu war"

tir, 01 01 2008 kl. 22:08 -0600, skrev Michael Beckwith:
> Coming from a personal opinion, I think Fedora should just stick to our
> short term and long term gameplan and try to avoid pandering to an idea
> like this. Lets just keep doing what Fedora has been doing for years,
> which is lead and innovate.

Not to mention it's an arms race we can't win.. remember we are the only
contestant. Every minute invested in upstream development benefits both
parties equally. So the harder we try, the higher we raise the bar for
ourselves since Ubuntu can just take the work we do at near zero
effort.

I think the more important battle is for the public understanding of
where upstream development stems from and being better at taking credit
for the excellent work Fedora does.

Selling the virtue of driving innovation seems like a far more sane
tactic than encouraging a brainless war based on the choice of what is
essentially Product A or Product A with a brown theme.

Point out where the code comes from, who invests to make it happen, who
has the vision and the will to innovate.

- David *values not product* Nielsen

Old 01-02-2008, 08:28 AM
"H. Guémar"

Just some pseudo-journalistic craps.
If there's any competition, it's between RedHat, Inc and Canonical
LTD, it's not our business.
Dudes, it's free software, we should be proud that our work is branded
as killer features in latest releases of other distributions. Take it
as a tribute !

As David Nielsen said, our work is to highlight the fantastic work
made by FedoraProject contributors. Think of "Fedora Linux" not as an
end in itself but only as a mean to achieve our goal.

Fedora is geared toward future not past neither present.

H. G.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:35 AM
Jonathan Roberts

> I think the more important battle is for the public understanding of
> where upstream development stems from and being better at taking credit
> for the excellent work Fedora does.

+1 which is exactly what I think the mission of the marketing team
should be. Fedora drives a lot of innovation and due to its strong
belief in working closely with upstream a lot of the innovation quickly
becomes available to other distributions. Something the article
overlooked I think: while open source code can benefit everyone, the
ease with which this happens is influenced by how quickly code gets
upstream and I'm not convinced Ubuntu, or any distribution, is as good
at this as Fedora. Anybody got any ideas where we could get some numbers
on this!?

Going to get started with new interviews (which nearly always have a
specific question about how the work gets upstream) and hopefully some
features/press release kind of stuff about other infrastructe aspects of
the community such as people.fp.org...you all probably know where this
is heading - if you want to help out you're more than welcome!!

Best wishes, and a happy new year to all

Jon

Old 01-02-2008, 09:20 AM
Rahul Sundaram

Jonathan Roberts wrote:

I think the more important battle is for the public understanding of
where upstream development stems from and being better at taking credit
for the excellent work Fedora does.

+1 which is exactly what I think the mission of the marketing team
should be. Fedora drives a lot of innovation and due to its strong
belief in working closely with upstream a lot of the innovation quickly
becomes available to other distributions. Something the article
overlooked I think: while open source code can benefit everyone, the
ease with which this happens is influenced by how quickly code gets
upstream and I'm not convinced Ubuntu, or any distribution, is as good
at this as Fedora. Anybody got any ideas where we could get some numbers
on this!?

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/RedHatContributions and in the references.
People have done various studies on which vendors contribute how much to
the Linux kernel in particular and Red Hat in usually by a large margin
the leading contributor. That would probably be the same for GTK and
GNOME though I don't know of anyone doing any formal analysis. Then
there are other key pieces like Glibc, GCC and on more desktop neutral
stuff like HAL, DBus, Cairo, NetworkManager etc.

From the volunteer community, there are a good number of people who
contribute to various upstream projects. A few examples,

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BryanSullivan (Mercurial upstream. Refer
http://lwn.net/Articles/153990/ for a interesting detail).

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/HansdeGoede
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KevinKofler

I am pretty sure there are several dozen more contributors such as these.

Rahul

Old 01-02-2008, 06:41 PM
"Jeff Spaleta"

On Jan 2, 2008 12:28 AM, H. Guémar <karlthered2@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just some pseudo-journalistic craps.
> If there's any competition, it's between RedHat, Inc and Canonical
> LTD, it's not our business.

We need a presskit. Is there someone on this list who can lead the
development of a presskit?

If we had a "Thinking about writing an article about Fedora?" link on
our frontpage, what materials would we want behind that link?

What are the important things we'd like to make sure laypress people
stress about Fedora as a project?

What are the common factual pitfalls that the laypress have been
making repeatedly that we end up correcting via article comments? If
we can get a presskit out we could potentially get ahead of more
common laypress mistakes and stop them before they are written.

What are the interpretive and editorial perceptions that can be
influenced by our own editorial material aimed at laypress? Or to ask
this another way, is there a flavor of kool-aid that we should be
mixing up specifically for laypress?

-jef

Old 01-02-2008, 06:46 PM
Leigh Cantrell Day

Jeff Spaleta wrote:

[...]

We need a few things:
o Fedora Fast Facts: data that would be interesting to someone writing
an article:

o History
o Differentiating points
o Features/Functions
o Instructions for 'laypress' to download with most ease
o Reviewers' Guide. This tells the press what exactly to look for,
what we want to emphasize most (esp. what's differentiating from other
distros, etc).

o Screenshots.

thanks,
leigh

Old 01-03-2008, 01:13 PM
Jonathan Roberts

Thanks Rahul, it all looks like it's interesting and should be useful at
some point in the future Anybody got any ideas on how we can make use
of this info? Maybe in the proposed Press Kit and the history section
even?!

Best wishes,

Jon

Old 01-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Marc Wiriadisastra

On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 14:13 +0000, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> Thanks Rahul, it all looks like it's interesting and should be useful at
> some point in the future Anybody got any ideas on how we can make use
> of this info? Maybe in the proposed Press Kit and the history section
> even?!
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Jon

The overview page is quite good as well.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Overview

Cheers,

Marc

Old 01-03-2008, 01:51 PM
Nicu Buculei

Rodrigo Padula de Oliveira wrote:

Very interesting!

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1848

The question is: such a "war" would bring more or less users to Linux?

Old 01-03-2008, 03:29 PM
John Poelstra

Leigh Cantrell Day said the following on 01/02/2008

We need a few things:
o Fedora Fast Facts: data that would be interesting to someone writing
an article:

o History
o Differentiating points
o Features/Functions
o Instructions for 'laypress' to download with most ease
o Reviewers' Guide. This tells the press what exactly to look for,
what we want to emphasize most (esp. what's differentiating from other
distros, etc).

o Screenshots.

thanks,
leigh

Could we meet with someone from Red Hat Communications during FUDCon to
work on this and other marketing strategies for the release of Fedora 9
and FUDCon Boston 2008?

John