Old 02-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Ashiqur Rahman Angel

Default Linus Torvalds Switched Back To Gnome

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linus-torvalds-switched-back-to-gnome.html

Linus Torvalds, Linux's creator, dislikes the GNOME desktop. There was
a big flame war(s) between Linus Torvalds and the GNOME community. At
one point he claimed that - "Gnome seems to be developed by interface Nazis and that its developers believe their users are idiots". And guess what? Who made the switch to Gnome?

Now, Linus thinks KDE 4 sucks and it is a disaster.

Here is the Computer World interview: http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=S oftware&articleId=9126619 .

Distrowatch has an interview with Linus this week regarding this issue. Here is the interview: http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20090202#feature .

--
Angel
GPG key: 0x34001F46

Fedora -- Freedom˛ and rapid innovation

Old 02-03-2009, 02:34 PM
Diego Escobar

Linus Says:

"I realize the reason for the 4.0 release, but I think they did it badly.
They did so may changes, it was a half-baked release. It may turn out
to be the right decision in the end, and I will retry KDE, but I
suspect I'm not the only person they lost."

Is not a secret KDE 4.0 has a lot of bugs. Now is getting the way. Linus should take a look to KDE 4.2.

[...]

Fedora Ambassador for Colombia
Fedora Release 9 (Sulphur): Linux Kernel 2.6.25 + Gnome 2.22

Old 02-03-2009, 03:25 PM
Stephen John Smoogen

2009/2/3 Diego Escobar <dezone24@gmail.com>:

> Linus Says:
>
> "I realize the reason for the 4.0 release, but I think they did it badly.
> They did so may changes, it was a half-baked release. It may turn out to be
> the right decision in the end, and I will retry KDE, but I suspect I'm not
> the only person they lost."
>
> Is not a secret KDE 4.0 has a lot of bugs. Now is getting the way. Linus
> should take a look to KDE 4.2.

Knowing the fickleness of Linus.. he will do so in about 6 months when
he has gotten the last of the "You should try KDE 4.x" emails. I think
desktops, distributions, and websites have all gone up and down with
Linus over the last 15 years.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux

Old 02-03-2009, 03:51 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 09:25:40AM -0700, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> 2009/2/3 Diego Escobar <dezone24@gmail.com>:
> >
> > Linus Says:
> >
> > "I realize the reason for the 4.0 release, but I think they did it badly.
> > They did so may changes, it was a half-baked release. It may turn out to be
> > the right decision in the end, and I will retry KDE, but I suspect I'm not
> > the only person they lost."
> >
> > Is not a secret KDE 4.0 has a lot of bugs. Now is getting the way. Linus
> > should take a look to KDE 4.2.
> >

> Knowing the fickleness of Linus.. he will do so in about 6 months when
> he has gotten the last of the "You should try KDE 4.x" emails. I think
> desktops, distributions, and websites have all gone up and down with
> Linus over the last 15 years.

He doesn't pay a lot of attention to things that high up the software
stack. It's whatever gets the job done for him. I wouldn't read too
much into the whole GNOME vs. KDE issue as far as Linus is concerned.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:40 PM
Jack Aboutboul

.

Distrowatch has an interview with Linus this week regarding this
issue. Here is the interview:
http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20090202#feature .

He doesn't care about the desktop he is using anyway. This is just
people hungry for a story...

Jack