Old 01-28-2009, 05:56 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Default Why I have chosen Fedora

Hi

Some interesting view points.

http://it-tactics.blogspot.com/2009/01/why-i-have-chosen-fedora.html

Rahul

Old 01-28-2009, 06:40 PM
Frank Murphy

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Hi
>
> Some interesting view points.
>
> http://it-tactics.blogspot.com/2009/01/why-i-have-chosen-fedora.html
>
> Rahul

But.
http://it-tactics.blogspot.com/2008/12/sad-thing-about-linux.html

Frank

Old 01-28-2009, 06:55 PM
Alejandro Acosta

I don't think the "sad things about linux" should be taken so seriously, the guy missed a lot of details and recognizes that "I can fix this in some cases although not an expert on Linux."

If someone likes freedom and i-pods then that person is facing the same problems that a person who likes cats and dogs is.

Alejandro Acosta
Fedora Ambassador / Chihuahua, MX
aacosta@fedoraproject.org
http://alejandroacosta.com

Old 01-28-2009, 07:15 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Alejandro Acosta wrote:
I don't think the "sad things about linux" should be taken so seriously,
the guy missed a lot of details and recognizes that "I can fix this in
some cases although not an expert on Linux."

If someone likes freedom and i-pods then that person is facing the same
problems that a person who likes cats and dogs is.

Neverthless, ipods are popular and Fedora probably has reasonably good
support for ipods since the upstream developer involved with library
support is a Fedora maintainer. It does take some time in between a
latest hardware release to actually supporting it. This is the time it
takes to reverse engineer and figure out what has changed. It is usually
much faster in cases where the vendor is co-operative and provides the
specs or even takes part in driver development as even AMD and Atheros
does for their 3D chipsets these days.

Linux actually has the broadest hardware support out of the box among
any operating system in the market.

http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2008/10/how-linux-supports-more-device.html

Rahul

Old 01-28-2009, 07:28 PM
Frank Murphy

Alejandro Acosta wrote:
> I don't think the "sad things about linux" should be taken so seriously,
> the guy missed a lot of details

And you will fill in the blanks?

and recognizes that "I can fix this in
> some cases although not an expert on Linux."

For him and you maybe.

> If someone likes freedom and i-pods

But the person reading the article, may not know of freedom.
Just someone looking for a way out, and "shucks".
Here's a "user" telling him his toys won't work.

then that person is facing the same
> problems that a person who likes cats and dogs is.

Many pet lovers have both cats and dogs,
they even clean each other (human not included).

Just playing Devil's Advocate.

Frank

Old 01-28-2009, 07:44 PM
Alejandro Acosta

Please don't take this the wrong way,

My points are that you can not make a serious judgement (on any OS) from an issue that is -the way I see it- ambiguous. Given the information he provided you can have the same problems with any OS and he can not tell it is a bad thing just because he couldn't . On the other hand he did fix some things even though he claims not being an expert, which is a good thing for this or any other OS.

If you love pets and you have cats and dogs in the same house you are doing this knowing in advance that this is no easy thing to do, but you love pets and you're willing to take these risks and to walk a way that* doesn't seem easy at the beginning.

I hope this will end this thread 'cause it looks like I'm the devil and my lawyer isn't defending me, just kidding Frank.

Even more: I WISH I HAD AN I-POD !!!

Old 01-28-2009, 07:56 PM
Máirí­n Duffy

Alejandro Acosta wrote:

Even more: I WISH I HAD AN I-POD !!!

Ew. Really? Why?

I love my Sansa, it plays ogg and flac and works out-of-the-box with
Fedora and mounts all nicely in rhythmbox...

~m

Old 01-28-2009, 08:43 PM
Alejandro Acosta

I didn't have a good reason other than they're popular as Rahul stated* plus I wasn't well informed, now I have an even stronger reason to buy sansa.
Thank you Máirin,

Maybe sometime you could tell me about the model you chose and your own experience, out* of the list of course

Old 01-29-2009, 07:12 AM
Jeff Spaleta

2009/1/28 Alejandro Acosta <aacosta@fedoraproject.org>:
> If someone likes freedom and i-pods then that person is facing the same
> problems that a person who likes cats and dogs is.

That problem should be solvable with with the appropriate genenic engineering.

"Good ... we'll have a miracle hybrid with the loyalty of a cat and
the cleanliness of a dog!" --Homer Simpson

-jef

Old 01-29-2009, 08:42 AM
Gaurav Prabhu