Old 01-27-2009, 04:32 AM
Jack Aboutboul

Default Fedora 11 Talking Points

Hello All,

In anticipation of the alpha release, I put together a talking points
page highlighting some of the new stuff we should be seeing in F11.
Please take a look and also play around if you like!

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F11_Talking_Points

Thanks,
Jack

Old 01-27-2009, 07:51 AM
Rahul Sundaram

Jack Aboutboul wrote:

Hello All,

In anticipation of the alpha release, I put together a talking points
page highlighting some of the new stuff we should be seeing in F11.
Please take a look and also play around if you like!

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F11_Talking_Points

Who is the audience for this? Currently, there is way too many technical
details.

Rahul

Old 01-27-2009, 12:08 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 02:21:15PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Jack Aboutboul wrote:
>> Hello All,
>>
>> In anticipation of the alpha release, I put together a talking points
>> page highlighting some of the new stuff we should be seeing in F11.
>> Please take a look and also play around if you like!
>>
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F11_Talking_Points
>
> Who is the audience for this? Currently, there is way too many technical
> details.

And there are too many points; this looks more like a restatement of
the feature list:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/11/FeatureList

Really there should only be a small number of talking points, because
we want to build a coherent, interesting story from the end-user side
for specific important features.

Here are the features I believe are good candidates for this treatment
for Alpha and beyond. Obviously as we move forward it's still
possible another feature might emerge as a major talking point;
feature cutoff doesn't happen for quite some time yet for F11.

Users:
* New volume control
* maybe Presto/deltaRPMs if that's actually going to happen for F11
* Fingerprint scanning

Developers:
* MinGW Windows cross-compiler

Sysadmins:
* ext4 file system

Community:
* Moksha and live web app framework

Building a story around each of these features won't be too difficult,
because they're all compelling, easy for Fedora people to talk about,
and easy for journalists to understand and write about.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:29 PM
Jack Aboutboul

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

Jack Aboutboul wrote:

Hello All,

In anticipation of the alpha release, I put together a talking points
page highlighting some of the new stuff we should be seeing in F11.
Please take a look and also play around if you like!

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F11_Talking_Points

Who is the audience for this? Currently, there is way too many
technical details.

Rahul

Hey Rahul,

If you like, you can play with and edit it as well...

Jack

Old 01-27-2009, 12:38 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Jack Aboutboul wrote:

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

Jack Aboutboul wrote:

Hello All,

In anticipation of the alpha release, I put together a talking points
page highlighting some of the new stuff we should be seeing in F11.
Please take a look and also play around if you like!

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F11_Talking_Points

Who is the audience for this? Currently, there is way too many
technical details.

Rahul

Hey Rahul,

If you like, you can play with and edit it as well...

Yes, but before I do that, I need to understand the audience for it. The
current page might work just fine for some group of people.

Rahul

Old 01-27-2009, 12:51 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 07:08:08PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Jack Aboutboul wrote:
>> Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>>> Who is the audience for this? Currently, there is way too many
>>> technical details.
>>>
>>> Rahul
>> Hey Rahul,
>>
>> If you like, you can play with and edit it as well...
>
> Yes, but before I do that, I need to understand the audience for it. The
> current page might work just fine for some group of people.

The talking points audience is journalists and the people who will be
reading their articles through the media, as well as casually
interested sysadmins and developers. By "casually interested," I mean
people who are unlikely to follow upstream development or dig much
deeper than the information we present. That information should be
concise, positive in tone, and clearly indicate what the expected
effect is on the Fedora end-user.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:31 PM
Jack Aboutboul

Paul W. Frields wrote:

[...]

Yes, this was the first draft, thanks for the feedback. I'm going to
update it throughout the day today. Also, if anyone else feels like we
should add or change something please send more feedback or edit the page!

Jack