Old 01-15-2009, 07:33 PM
Karsten Wade

Default Help getting the word out about Summer of Code 2009

Google has decided to return with their Summer of Code program for
2009. We can expect the program to be a bit smaller in size, making
the student competition part more important. When we have an influx
of great students and ideas, our mentors can collaborate to make very
strong proposals. Strong proposals get us the most student slots.

This last year we did a modest increase in our noisiness (marketing)
about the Summer of Code. The results were pretty good[1]. Compared
to 2007, our best year to that point, we had three times the number of
mentors step forward, three times the proposals, and more than twice
the number of student slots.

Imagine how it could be if more people than just me were promoting
Fedora and JBoss.org's presence in the Summer of Code?

Do you have any interest in:

* Planning a Summer of Code promotion for Fedora/JBoss.org
* Running the promotion

You may wonder, why JBoss.org? Mainly that I don't think Google is going
to separate the organizations this year; with slim participation
available, they are going to be looking for any ways to consolidate
further. I don't know who from JBoss.org is interested in planning
and promoting this. However, the situation makes us dependent on each
other and the quality of projects. Fortunately, this situation worked
out rather well last year.

More information:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Summer_coding
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Summer_coding

Thanks - Karsten

[1] http://iquaid.org/2008/04/21/gsoc-statistics-snapshot/
http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41

Old 01-15-2009, 08:02 PM
Bert Desmet

hello,

I want to help planning and running a summer of code promotion for
Fedora/JBoss.org. I think I am fitted for the job, because I am still a
student, and so, I could maybe get closer (or faster) to other students
than people that allready have a professional life.

with kind regards,
Bert Desmet

Old 01-16-2009, 04:20 PM
Karsten Wade

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 10:02:56PM +0100, Bert Desmet wrote:
> hello,
>
> I want to help planning and running a summer of code promotion for
> Fedora/JBoss.org. I think I am fitted for the job, because I am still a
> student, and so, I could maybe get closer (or faster) to other students
> than people that allready have a professional life.

Hi Bert,

That's a great point. We can go further and ask Ambassadors and
Campus Ambassadors to help spread the word.

I started a planning page and added to the two of us to it:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Summer_coding_promotion_plan_2009

To work on the promotion, you'll need wiki editing rights. I don't
see a Fedora account under your name, but if you create one, you'll be
able to edit the wiki with it.

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/accounts/

cheers - Karsten

Old 01-16-2009, 06:56 PM
Bert Desmet

ttps://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Summer_coding_promotion_plan_2009

To work on the promotion, you'll need wiki editing rights. I don't
see a Fedora account under your name, but if you create one, you'll be
able to edit the wiki with it.

Hi, I already have those rights. I am an ambassador myself (but only
recently, I'm new to the community)

I think we also need a designer, who can design some flyers?

Old 01-16-2009, 07:46 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 08:56:22PM +0100, Bert Desmet wrote:

>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Summer_coding_promotion_plan_2009
>>
>> To work on the promotion, you'll need wiki editing rights. I don't
>> see a Fedora account under your name, but if you create one, you'll be
>> able to edit the wiki with it.
>>
> Hi, I already have those rights. I am an ambassador myself (but only
> recently, I'm new to the community)
> I think we also need a designer, who can design some flyers?

IIRC, the Fedora Art team has a design queue on the wiki where you can
make requests:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/DesignService

Probably not a bad idea to drop a line on the fedora-art-list, if
anyone's a subscriber there.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:20 PM
Karsten Wade

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 03:46:14PM -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 08:56:22PM +0100, Bert Desmet wrote:
> >
> >> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Summer_coding_promotion_plan_2009
> >>
> >> To work on the promotion, you'll need wiki editing rights. I don't
> >> see a Fedora account under your name, but if you create one, you'll be
> >> able to edit the wiki with it.
> >>
> > Hi, I already have those rights. I am an ambassador myself (but only
> > recently, I'm new to the community)
> > I think we also need a designer, who can design some flyers?
>
> IIRC, the Fedora Art team has a design queue on the wiki where you can
> make requests:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/DesignService
>
> Probably not a bad idea to drop a line on the fedora-art-list, if
> anyone's a subscriber there.

Thanks, I put this up:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/DesignService#Summer_coding_collateral

I'll see what happens; the process on the page directs to contact the
list if it isn't picked up; I might push the timing due to the real
world deadlines at work.

- Karsten